Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Tires for Diesel Pusher

I I've been using Michelin tires on my motorhome, but they are so expensive that I'm considering something called Roadx. Has anybody use those and can give me some comments?
Stevever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Several things come to mind off hand 1) where are they made? Michelin had issues with sidewall cracking on tires they tried having made in China, RV tires now made in Canada, 2) sometimes it's a case of you get what you pay for, so cheaper is not always better.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

I believe Roadx is a Chinese-made tire. Truckers have good reviews for it as they do for most of the third-tier Chinese tires.

However, I personally (and many here disagree) prefer to go with one of the second-tier manufacturers like those of the Japanese and South Korean manufacturers such as Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, Kumho, etc.

The second-tier tires will not be nearly as expensive as Michelin or Goodyear but will cost a bit more than the Chinese tires. My personal opinion is that Toyo, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Hankook, Kumho, etc. will be a better compromise. They are good tires at a reasonable price.

I know many will not agree with what I'm saying but personally, I refuse to pay the premium prices for tier one tires like Michelin or Goodyear.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

I've been running Yokohama tires on my rig and have been pretty happy with them so far. They replaced Michelin tires.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Many of us diehard Michelin fans are thinking different when we see the price times 6 or 8. I bought Toyo's very reasonable. Be careful with some of the brands as they have a harsh ride.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are so many opinions on the subject that you'll find one you like sooner or later. I'm from the Michelin camp.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
There are so many opinions on the subject that you'll find one you like sooner or later. I'm from the Michelin camp.

Yep!
My Michelins were made in Germany.
The folks that complain of sidewall cracks haven't bought the good stuff for quite a while!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Never heard of them, but that doesn't make them bad. I think Michelins are over priced. I have Firestones with a winter tread because somehow I wind up in the snow too often.

Bill
Trackrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
FYI
The FMCA tire program will soon be offering Continental tires at a discount. All that has to be done is signing the contract which should be happening soon. The Continental tire is an excellent one.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They all seem to have their own problems the first set of Continentals on the toad suffered from a ply separation on one tire being an AWD all four of them were replace with Continentals again, well the end of the summer another one suffered a ply separation so now it's got a set of Michelins purchased through FMCA as were the XRVs on the coach this summer.

It all just depends on what your happy with.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
FYI
The FMCA tire program will soon be offering Continental tires at a discount. All that has to be done is signing the contract which should be happening soon. The Continental tire is an excellent one.
I agree! I have had excellent service from continental. Yokohamas I had rivering and cupping. Absolutely hate Good Year
big willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 AM   #12

You might want to try them on your drives first and go with what you know on your steers, until you are convinced of the quality.
Old 10-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #13

i jsut bought 6 tires.. had 20yr old michelens that you almost see thru sidewall....i did want american made so i opted for General HS and very good price and i like them so far..
Old 10-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Our fleet of 80 cranes all roll on Hankooks.

We have been very pleased with them.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, diesel