Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
"I am interested in the FMCA/Michelin deal. How does that work?"
First we assume you are a FMCA member.
I just bought tires for my toad using the program. Here is what I did. Get the part number for the tire you want to buy from a dealer who is participating in the program. You can go hear to find a dealer. Michelin RV Tires | A Better Way Forward
When you have the partnumber (I got the deaalers price for the tiers to) call FMCA and speak to the people in the Miclin tire program office. They will tell you your cost for that tire. This doesn't include the usual mounting and balancing ect.
You can find out more at the FMCA web site. They have a list of part numbers but I found it hard to find the one I was looking for when I had it in my hand. That is why I said get it from the dealer that way you have the right number for the tiers you want to buy. I saved over $175.00 on the tires for my toad.
There are a few more things like registering a credit card to be used for the purchase. It is really pretty simple. If you have questions ask.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myabytude View Post
Thanks for the great advice! I think I have narrowed the choice to Hankook AH 12 - 255/70 R 22.5. I am interested in the 275/70 R22.5 as an upgrade, but don't know the problems associated with doing so. Can anyone shed some light?

Any comments on problems or praises with the Hankook's?

Thanks.

Gary
Tireman9 covered part of this in his post, and I have no doubt that he will cover it all on his blog. When I changed tires to a different size (255/80/22.5 to 275/70/22.5) I had to consider
* required rim size (width)
* required dual spacing
* RPM's per mile (close to originals to minimize speedometer error)
* physical clearance (if the tire is wider, do you have room especially on the front where the tire moves side to side.

All except the physical clearance issue can be found in each manufacturer's tire chart.

Fred
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26 AM   #31

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
My RV came with Michelins when I bought it new last year. 3 weeks ago I had to swerve out the way from a vehicle in St. Louis. I was in the #1 lane next to a traffic island with sharp-edge curbs. Those curbs slashed my driver side front tire and the driver side rear outside tire.

I had to contact the only RV tire dealer who would replace them in the field. If I would have had the RV towed, it would have cost me an addition $390 as the tow company (through AAA) charges shop-to-shop. They didn't have Michelins, only Firestones. Since I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, I had to get them. The installer put both new tires in the front. So far, no problems with the Firestones during my trip back to L.A. via Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Firestone would not be my first choice, but they are riding good so far.

One thing I found out during this experience, AAA RV is useless out of my home state. They are on a "reimbursement" basis. I have to find a better roadside assist company. I let my Good Sam roadside assistance lapse.

Info you may want... According to industry info, Firestone truck tires (22.5 sizes) are made in same plant and on same equipment in TN as are Bridgestone 22.5 tires.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:30 AM   #32

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Just returned from a trip and one of my three year old Michelin tires blew out the sidewall. I had to replace the tire, requested a Michelin from Coach Net, they were able to find a Goodyear. When I returned I took the tire to the selling dealer and was told it was from impact. I ask how he could determine impact and where was the damage. I was riddling on the interstate and had not hit anything. I was told to contact Michelin, which I did and was told to take it back to the selling dealer. While there, TCI the selling dealer, attempted to contact Michelin but were unable to make contact. I was told to contact Michelin and get them to contact the dealer. I sent Michelin two messages, they have not responded. I spent extra for the piece of mind and not to have problems. I don't think the extra money was well spent. It is not fun to have a blow out on a front tire at 60 MPH.
Sidewall failures are almost always due to either run low flex failure (i.e. zipper with steel body tires ) or a sidewall cut/impact. Microscopic examination of the ends of the steel cords can confirm which.

Do you have any pictures of the failed tire? You might learn more by reading some of the posts on :failure" on my blog.

Tags
tires