Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
They are both good tires...get the ones where they give you the best deal.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here is what your tires may end up looking like if you have GY670's:

It's known as "rivering" I believe, and trust me, that does not enhance the driving pleassure. This starts showing around 7-8,000 miles and by 25,000 miles your tires are shot.

Some may argue that this is down to wrong tire pressure or wheels out of allignment, but I beg to differ. A VERY VERY high proportion of the RVers that I know and who drives GY670's have this problem, and we don't all have wrong tire pressure or wheels out of alignment. These are tires that are just not suitable for the job is my clear opinion.

I have changed my front tires to Bridgestones and I am very happy with them - no sign of rivering at all (and this is without changing tire pressure or adjusting the alignment). My rear tires are now Michelin's through the FMCA plan. Also happy with them.

Never again GY for me thank you, and that also goes for my toad where my GY's rotted within 12 month and got replaced by Pep Boy's.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #17

I nursed 80,000 miles out of my G670's. Then went to the XZA2. Definitely smoother ride, may steer a bit better and no problems after 30,000 miles. Stored indoors 7 months a year.

Always diligent about tire pressure. 05 Dynasty.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #18

Got 50, 000 miles out of our XZA2. Could have gotten a hell of a lot more except they aged out. Replaced them XZE 2 + because ZA3 were back ordered or otherwise unavailable. Only a few RV'ers will ever wear the tread out. The real issue is more mundane, once you pay $4000 give or take for a new set of shoes, your stuck with them.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So far I've driven on two sets of GY and one of Michelin on DPs and they have both performed fine. Have also had many sets of GY, Mich and many other brands on cars and have never had a tire fail or 'rot'. Do your research, compare prices and beware of anecdotal 'evidence'. It often comes with opinion and agenda rather than fact.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #20

Craigls2
Let me see if I have this correct: I guess your post is fact, while my (and others') anecdotal 'evidence' is likely filled with opinion and agenda rather than fact? Gee, sounds like heads you win and tails I lose. I don't work for, nor do I own any stock in a tire company. Yes, I am chuckling and hope you are, too.
I agree with your do-the-research part and that's why I suggested the OP google 'zipper rip'. I am sure Michelin is a good tire, but I have some doubts about the GYs. I also believe Bridgestones are every bit as good as Michelins, maybe better, but at a lower price. And I still have that sour taste in my mouth from a Michelin blowout. I know I am trying to give the best advice based on my personal experience, and suspect you are, too.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Any new tire is going to ride and drive better than one 10 years old and/or has 80,000 miles on it. Makes no difference, GY to Mich or vice versa.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just changed my GY to XZE, garage set them at 100psi instead of 80 so it what a squimy ride, but my GY were 9 years old...

I will set them to 80 for the next ride!
Old 06-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #23

Magister
What does your coach weigh?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Front axle is 3175kg, rear axle is 6123kg, Michelin spec for my XZE says to inflate at 80psi if I understand correctly.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Here is what your tires may end up looking like if you have GY670's:

It's known as "rivering" I believe, and trust me, that does not enhance the driving pleassure. This starts showing around 7-8,000 miles and by 25,000 miles your tires are shot.

Some may argue that this is down to wrong tire pressure or wheels out of allignment, but I beg to differ. A VERY VERY high proportion of the RVers that I know and who drives GY670's have this problem, and we don't all have wrong tire pressure or wheels out of alignment. These are tires that are just not suitable for the job is my clear opinion.

I have changed my front tires to Bridgestones and I am very happy with them - no sign of rivering at all (and this is without changing tire pressure or adjusting the alignment). My rear tires are now Michelin's through the FMCA plan. Also happy with them.

Never again GY for me thank you, and that also goes for my toad where my GY's rotted within 12 month and got replaced by Pep Boy's.
hey you took a pic of my rh front tire. Mine is exactly like yours and with only 29k miles. I did bring front pis down a bit and evened out the outside edge a bit and greatly stopped the odd front end feeling to light in the wheel
i have tried driving on interstates and two lane roads to try to balance the crown induced wear to no avail
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #26

Magister
I should have asked what size tire as well. But if you are following the Michelin specs you will be fine, was just curious as to why the 'garage' inflated the tires to 100 lbs if Michelin says 80 is correct for your weight? Do they not know what inflation is called for by the brand of tires you purchased? Suggest you double check, divide the total weight of each axle by the number of tires on it and check the Michelin chart (duals or single tires) to see what inflation Michelin says to use to hold that particular weight. Remember that all tires on the same axle should carry the same psi. Hope you enjoy your Michelins.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:06 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I changed fron GY670 to Mich xze+2's two years ago. Never had a problem with the GYs. The ride is a little bit better on the mich but I think the handling is no better.
bborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
@flynnwalter : my tires are 245/70R19.5, even the sticker inside calls for 80psi. It was a truck shop, they work on 22.5 mostly I guess, maybe they didn't know for sure...

Also see in attachement what happened to my GY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140621_175955.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	426.2 KB
ID:	66265  

Tags
tires