Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Tires GY and Michelin

I posted this in the general forum, but didn't get any comments, so i am posting here.

those of you that have changed from GY 670 to Mich XZE (or visa vesa).
can you describe any changes in handling you noticed with the tire change?
if you made the change and did't feel any change, please note that.

thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
I posted this in the general forum, but didn't get any comments, so i am posting here.

those of you that have changed from GY 670 to Mich XZE (or visa vesa).
can you describe any changes in handling you noticed with the tire change?
if you made the change and did't feel any change, please note that.

thanks
I got a full set of Michelin 295/80R22.5 through FMCA. My coach came with GY 670 that ran all over the road. The Michelins are a lot better tire, you don't have to fight the steering wheel going down the road.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #3

Ray
Might add to your confusion, but suggest you check out Bridgestone tires before you make up your mind. Don't know your tire size, can only give you my humble opinions. Goodyear is out. I had a Michelin zipper rip blowout and still remember Michelin lying about it not being their tires at fault, when it was. May have changed since then but I won't give that mule a second chance to kick me. Also, the prices they charge for Michelins almost guarantee buyers will find an improvement in all phases of their lives joke. Another joke is Michelin claiming they last 10 yrs. The fine print reads 'as long as you have annual inspections' every year after five years and anyone knowledgable about tire failure will tell you the inspections must be on the inside of the tire. How many coach owners will pay to have six or eight tires dismounted, inspected, and remounted every year after 5 yrs? So, forget the ten years and go with 5 or 6 years and then change them out no matter the miles or looks from outside. Most coach tires get replaced due to time and not miles or bad appearance--we wash and clean them on the outside. There are basically two types of truck tires: Long haul and regional/delivery.
Don't get long haul unless you never leave pavement and drive all day and often, as they are not designed to handle the rough roads, scrubbing and other hazards of campgrounds. Also they are relatively rare and so will cost a fortune in the event of a blowout--if you can find one available. The majority of tractor trailers use regional/delivery tires. Even cross country loads are broken down into regions so the trailer is driven to a terminal and dropped, then immediately hitched to another tractor that takes the load, and so on. I went with regional/delivery Bridgestone Ecopias, a brand new series with increased mpg in mind. Got a $70 rebate from Bridgestone, too.
Good luck whatever tire you choose.
Frank W. 09 Cayman
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Went from Goodyear 670 to Michelin XRV. Can't say I noticed a difference in ride or handling. I am a fan of Michelin tires, on my third purchased set with no problems.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post
Ray
May have changed since then but I won't give that mule a second chance to kick me.

I like the mule comment! Made my day.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #6

Winepress
Glad I could do so, makes it a good day for me, too.
Frank W.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:39 AM   #7

I replaced all 6 of my original GY G670 tires, which I was very happy with, due to age only, they still looked brand new. I would have gladly bought 6 new GY, but since the current GY G670 prices were not competitive, even before the FMCA Michelin discount; I got 6 new Michelin xza2 which was their recommended model in my size 275/70 22.5. After 1 yrs use, I'm just as happy with the Michelins as I was with the GY, no change in handling, but the Michelins are a heavier tire.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replaced my Michelin XRV 235/80/22.5 with G670 275/70/22.5 after 2 zipper blow outs at 4 years and 6 years on the Michelin's.

G670's use a lot less PSI for the same weight that have given a better ride.
The G670's now are now 9 years & 1 month old. No cracks like the Michelin's had after 4 years.

I will replace them probably next year after they are 10 years old with the same.
No Michelin's for me, no matter how much cheaper in $$$ to buy. To last 1/2 as long.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gents,

Looking at MH upgrade from C to A, with tyres a huge question : how do 22.5" tyres compare $/mile or $/year from 16" load range E ?

Lusting for a Fleeteood Bounder 35E on MICH 22.5" all DOT 2012 dates. Huge tires! ???? Safe??? Drive well???

Currently enjoy our 27' E450 THOR.
MICHELIN 16" LTX have blown out one inner dual sidewall at AGE 2-3 years.
Second got side wall mumps n wobbles at 2 yrs of age 55,000 miles.
MH 2012 but E450 is 2011 so all 6 are new: 4 LTX and 2 Coopers.

What is a "zipper-rip" blow out?

Skip n Patty
Acworth, Ga
Skino47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

Skip
Michelins used to be (in)famous for sidewall blowouts that appeared similar to an open zipper, hence the name. While there are many reasons for blowouts, not the least of which is under inflation, Michelin had an inordinate number of complaints back maybe 10 yrs ago. When I had mine, the fellow sent out by Coach Net to fix my tire was walking from his truck toward my coach and shouted above the noise of I-10..."Another Michelin zipper rip, huh?" It didn't fill me with confidence in Michelin. They stonewalled everyone (I made no claim with them) successfully blaming the tire owners, but IMHO and that of a tire dealer I know personally and quite a few others (google 'michelin zipper rip') it was a defect of Michelin tires cracking after exposure to the sun. May have changed but they got me once and won't get another shot.
Frank W.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #11

Just to be fair & balanced, there was also a timeframe when GY G670 tires had a poor reputation and a boatload of folks here and elsewhere who claimed it was the worst tire ever designed, due to a wear defect called rivering. My G670's never exhibited that defect, but I read about plenty that did (years ago) and they weren't happy with how GY handled their claims.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you'll find that changing from a used set of Brand X will result in a better ride with a new set of Brand Y.

FWIW, my previous coach came with G670's and at about 30K miles, both front tires began to have rivering. After much research, it seems that this is a common complaint of the GYs. I replaced those with Hankooks A11s and when I sold the mh two years later, they looked brand new. The ride was good and never had any problems with them.

My new coach came with Michelins XZA3s. Seem to be ok, but still almost brand new so I don't have any real experience with them.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #13

Just installed 8 new Michelin's on my coach....the shop foreman gave me stats on current sidewall failure rate of different companies. from what I learned - I should be happy I bought the Michelins. Do some checking around.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #14

I just replaced all 6 tires with XZA3 steer tires. Also had them balanced using the counter balance beads. Took a couple of miles for the beads to start working, and about 20 miles to get used to the new tires. So far I'm favorably impressed with both the handling and the balancing beads. The XZA3's are recommended by Michelin as a RV tire.

Tags
tires