Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Tires love to tear up RVs

It might be interesting to hear some of the destruction tires have caused Rvers ( include the brand,maybe well see a pattern forming)
How fast you were driving etc.

My worst was in my old 84 Pathfinder 36 ft Class A
I was coming into san bernadino calif off of Elcajon pass.
It was my first blow out. I wanted to drive to the next off ramp while the tire kept flapping...well let me tell you it tore my gas filler neck up along with fiberglas etc.
From then on I pull off and stop or creep at 10 mph until off the road.
I was in my 01 Rexhal (avtar) just heading south out of bridgeport Ca.
I was doing 40 mph when blam! One of the rears tore off the springs and foot to my hydraulic leg.
I walked up and down the road eventually gathering up the parts,undamaged and put them back on.
I now have stuff secured from loss with small aircraft cables just in case.
I should add a fiew schrapnel plates in certain locations as I can see major costs and inconvenience if i dont
PalmSprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I see blowout damage every week. Last week I had to replace what a car person would call rocker panels and the wheelwell molding on a 1 year old Windjammer. Tires were factory Maxxis 205/75R15C.

Two weeks ago I replaced a bunch of plumbing and sheet metal on a '98 Airstream that had 2 year old Goodyear Marathons, 225/75R15D.

Friday I winterized and serviced a 2007 Airstream with 1 year old 225/75R15 D Marathons. One had a flat spot worn diagonally across the tread, the other had a bulge in the tread area where a belt had come apart. The customer refused to believe me that the tires they had put on last Spring were bad, and I was just trying to sell them tires. I hope they made it home okay.

Oh, and we had two tires come apart on our own trailer, but I was watching the rear view mirror closely, and saw the trailer starting to bobble around from the tires going out of round.

Terry
tmh462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say that a majority of tire failures are due to 3 things, underinflation, age, or a road hazard. Many folks will swear that they run the recommended pressure by just checking the pressure before they take off each day, but if you are not using a tire pressure monitor system, you really don't know if one goes down while on the road. Age, if over 6 years old you just take your chances. Road hazards can't be avoided (unless you're driving over curbs).
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote