Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Tires Samson GL283A Big Problems

I could not find a category here on tires but wanted to put out a heads up on these tires, the adjustment center in Georgia, and the brand.

When I purchased my RV from Sunland Sales, Leasing & Rental Glendale Az (another place to stay away from) 07/09/2013.

Part of the deal was the replacement of all the tires with new tires.

When I picked up the vehicle the tires had been replaced and the date codes were correct for new tires.

I did not check the weight rating and it turned out that the front tires were under rated for the max weight of the front axle.

I have been keeping a close eye on them for any signs of problems and at the end of this past season found some problems.

I have the receipt for the purchase of the new tires and have been dealing with a very well know large tire dealership here in Rochester.

They have been tiring to get the the adjustment center in Georgia to respond. Just received this note form the tire dealership.

" To be perfectly honest with you, I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone yet at the adjustment center in Georgia....The world headquarters is in Sri Lanka and heaven knows the time difference and language barrier...I'm about ready to try them if Georgia won't return my call. I try every other day, and so far, no luck..I'll keep you in the loop.
"

I would warn anyone thinking of purchasing Samson tires to be aware that price wise they appear to be a good value, but if you have a problem be prepared.

Every one of the tires are cracking. I believe them to be unsafe at this point and I will have to replace them all in the spring.

Below are pictures from the Left Front, Right Front and Right Rear Outer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Outer 001.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	113763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Front 001.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	113764  

Name:	Left Front 005.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	113765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left Front 010.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	113766  

Name:	Right Front 001.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	113767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Outer 005.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	113768  

Name:	Right Rear Outer 010.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	113769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Outer 015.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	113770  

Name:	Right Rear Outer 020.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	113771  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
What was the manufactured date of the tires?

Did the dealer get a good deal on old tires?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I could not find a category here on tires but wanted to put out a heads up on these tires, the adjustment center in Georgia, and the brand.
GlennLever
Is the DOT OD K D12 shown in your pics the "manufactured on date code"?
Or is the date code JL27-73?

In either case me thinks you need to find out when those tires where manufactured before anyone can resolve anything.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those tires are very old or have been run grossly underinflated. I have the same size samsons on mine. Mine are load range H.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #5

DOT Code is incomplete.

-tires manufactured from 2000 on have a 4 digit date presentation
-tires manufactured prior to 2000 have a 3 digit date presentation
Old 12-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

I'd also like to see the actual "Born On" date.

You stated that the tires were " ....under rated for the max weight of the front axle." Why would you keep running them for two years, instead of making the seller install the correct tires, as promised?
Old 12-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #7

The full DOT code may only be on one side of the tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=172
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Oh yeah, I also don't know where the idea of an "adjustment center in Georgia" came from. According to their web site,
http://gtcna.com/docs/product-warran...e-Warranty.pdf
you should be contacting:

GTCNA
4580 Stephen Circle NW
Suite 202
Canton, Ohio 44718
Phone: 330-498-5000
Fax: 330-498-5002
E-mail: sales@gtcna.com

A lot of things aren't adding up here!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #9

I'm a little confused as to why you did not specify what replacement brand and size you would accept for you to buy the MH. I am also curious to see the actual build date for them. They look very old for a two year old tire. So far, it appears that a dealer took advantage of an uninformed buyer. But to add to it, why did you continue to drive it when you new the tires were overloaded. Owning a MH is a learning curve. For some, it can be a steep and costly experience. Hope you get a good resolution for your problem.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #10

I have the same tires that are four years old and they look brand new.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
Oh yeah, I also don't know where the idea of an "adjustment center in Georgia" came from. According to their web site,

GTCNA
4580 Stephen Circle NW
Suite 202
Canton, Ohio 44718

Lets cut the OP a little slack Here- there a few unanswered questions on His Tires- Me ? I think He trusted someone He shouldn't have and is in a Learning Curve on Tires !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
GlennLever
Is the DOT OD K D12 shown in your pics the "manufactured on date code"?
Or is the date code JL27-73?

In either case me thinks you need to find out when those tires where manufactured before anyone can resolve anything.
Mel
'96 Safari
Attached below at pictures taken all the way around one tire. The only date code I found was DOT OD K D12. Tire Representative that examined the tires was satisfied they were manufactured in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Those tires are very old or have been run grossly underinflated. I have the same size samsons on mine. Mine are load range H.
The tire Representative that looked that the tire verified the manufacture date was the same year I purchased the coach (2013). These tires have never been run under inflated, I have a tire monitor for all the tires on the motor home and for each of the trailers I pull with the motor home. I do not remember of the top of my head what the GAWR rating on my front axle is but if memory severs me the rating of the tires on only the front axle was off by a total of 500 pounds or 250 pounds a tire. I need a load range H (16-Ply) to legally carry the front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
DOT Code is incomplete.

-tires manufactured from 2000 on have a 4 digit date presentation
-tires manufactured prior to 2000 have a 3 digit date presentation
I have taken pictures and posted below one tire all the way around.

Quote:
I'd also like to see the actual "Born On" date.

You stated that the tires were " ....under rated for the max weight of the front axle." Why would you keep running them for two years, instead of making the seller install the correct tires, as promised?
I went after the seller for a couple of things, wrote to the Arizona State Attorney general on several glaring false claims made in the ad for the motor home. He essentially laughed at me. I was and still am a complete novice on RVs. I did not discover the problem of the weight rating until I was back in New York after driving across the US after picking up the RV in Az. Try dealing with a disreputable RV dealership clear across the US, or even a repeatable dealership across the US.

Quote:

GTCNA
4580 Stephen Circle NW
Suite 202
Canton, Ohio 44718

I have forwarded this information to the tire dealership that is trying to get an adjustment on these tires.

Not sure what you think is not adding up.

No matter what happens this spring I will have to buy six new tires.

The tire dealership I am dealing with here is one/or the largest here in Rochester. I used to own an auto repair shop and had dealings with this dealership for MANY years, within the normal business had adjustments made with them on tires. They handle everything from cars to earth moving equipment. They have the equipment to do alignments on commercial trucks. They know what they are talking about. I trust them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I'm a little confused as to why you did not specify what replacement brand and size you would accept for you to buy the MH. I am also curious to see the actual build date for them. They look very old for a two year old tire. So far, it appears that a dealer took advantage of an uninformed buyer. But to add to it, why did you continue to drive it when you new the tires were overloaded. Owning a MH is a learning curve. For some, it can be a steep and costly experience. Hope you get a good resolution for your problem.
The learning curve has been extremely steep and costly. I have not had one trip yet without a problem. If you read my projects thread you will see it has been a very troubled road. There are only 51 pages of repairs made to this motor home. The one major thing I have learned is do the research nessary ti fix it yourself, because RV service centers are far worse that any mistake I would make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Lets cut the OP a little slack Here- there a few unanswered questions on His Tires- Me ? I think He trusted someone He shouldn't have and is in a Learning Curve on Tires !
You are so right.

Sorry I have not responded before this, I never got any notifications of posts to this thread until today

Below are pictures all the way around the right rear outer dual (certainly never overloaded).

The only shot missing is the max load rating and air pressure for the tire.

There is a inconsistency in the writing on the tire, in one shot it clearly states 120 PSI but in another area (which I have not pictured but will Sunday) is the max load for the tire stating max pressure is 110 PSI
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Right Rear Outer 001.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	113812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Outer 005.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	113813  

Name:	Right Rear Outer 010.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	113814   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Rear Outer 015.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	113815  

Name:	Right Rear Outer 020.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	113816  

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a far out idea, but I believe that dealer had some ancient tires from July 1973 (JL27-73) and stole the tires your coach came with. Call me a nut, but stranger things happen. This forum has some excellent tire people who can verify or or deny. You really have me curious about it.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #14

I ordered and installed (with hand tools) my own set of new tires from a place on the internet call simpletire. My new set of Samson 283A tires all have "DOT 1315" for date codes.
I could be wrong but I also think your tires are pretty old according to the weird DOT code shown. If you think those are weather cracked, you should see the 4 year old Michelin XZE's that came off my coach!
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, tires