Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Tires, Tires, Tires

Looking to buy 6 new tires Firestone, Toyo's 275/R70 Load H rating Or I
I had a blowup on the inside rear and did about $8,000 Damage
plus towing. It is unbeleiveable the damage and impact is had while drive
Lucky I was only going about 35 or 40 and had been doing 65 to 70 before
I bought a Hercules tire just to get me off the Freeway brand new and will sell it cheap tire has 5 miles on it. Going to do Firestone or Toyo's and maybe goodyear but I don't think so they ride to hard.
any input??

Ron
Discovery 40X 2008
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
Looking to buy 6 new tires Firestone, Toyo's 275/R70 Load H rating Or I
I had a blowup on the inside rear and did about $8,000 Damage
plus towing. It is unbeleiveable the damage and impact is had while drive
Lucky I was only going about 35 or 40 and had been doing 65 to 70 before
I bought a Hercules tire just to get me off the Freeway brand new and will sell it cheap tire has 5 miles on it. Going to do Firestone or Toyo's and maybe goodyear but I don't think so they ride to hard.
any input??

Ron
Discovery 40X 2008
Good to see that you are OK
From postings in this forum, Hercules seemed to be an acceptable tire. If riding hard have you checked or what the tire pressure is?
I just purchased Toyo because I replaced mine with same tire as I was happy with the ride.
Did insurance pay for the damage?
Thanks
WillsDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #3

Well, I have never owned Toyo or Firestone so cant help there.. My coach came with Goodyear. Inside dual came apart from the inside and did $8k in damage. Replaced all with Michelin and have my fingers crossed. I will attest that my coach rides and handles much better on the Michelins than it did on the Goodyear. .
Old 08-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been a Michelin buyer for a long time. From watching threads here I plan to look at Toyo and Hankook next year when our tires are due for renewal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Michelin tires through the FMCA national account program
would be the best use of your money, for the best quality
tires. JMHO
I used to have Goodyears, big problem with "rivering/erosion",
went to Michelins, thrilled after 18K.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Personally I wouldn't trust Firestone tires, nor would I trust the company to do the right thing if the tires were defective. Firestone has had a long history of massive recalls. Every truck I've ever bought that came with Firestone tires on it had the tires recalled within the first 2 years of ownership.

Their recalls have involved several millions of tires and date as far back as the late 1970's. If you recall the Firestone 500 fiasco it started with defective products being identified in 1972. The company denied the problem and stone walled any action until the NHTSA forced them to take action in 1978. Between 1972 and 1978 the company continued to produce and sell over 14,000,000 tires that were later involved in the recall.

Firestone 500 Steel Belted Radials – Center for Autosafety

The company made a calculated decision to deny the problem as long as possible. They reasoned that the longer they held off making a recall the fewer tires they would be forced to replace. The calculation didn't work out quite as planned. Between the fines, the number of tires they were forced to replace, and the money paid out in lawsuits they would have been better off to admit and correct the problem when it was first identified.

The company hasn't fared much better since Bridgestone has taken over the reins. As late as 2000 they were ordered to recall another 14,000,000 tires sold as original equipment on several Ford products. There have been a number of recalls since then in 2008, 2012, and 2015. Their history and current practices aren't such that I would want to trust my family's lives with their products.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #7

Smile Tires

Just went with a complete set of Hankooks and love them compared to the high priced Goodyears. No comparison in the ride and handling they provide over the Goodyears..
Bigblock427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Had Michelins as OEMs. Just recently replaced (due to age) with TOYOs. For the difference in price vs. the Michelins, I think that the TOYOs are a much better "value". I can detect no difference in ride quality in the first couple of thousand miles.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my Michelin's with Toyo's 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. I saved about $1300 over Michelin's.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I've had 3 sets of Toyo's and recently Hancook AH12's. I highly recommend either.
I paid approximately $3200 for the Toyo's and the AH12 Hancook's came in at a respectable $2400. The only reason I went with them is the Toyo's were not available where I bought my last coach. The Hancooks performed well with a nice ride. Warranty was similar to the Toyo's.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Increasing load rating

I am looking at Sumitomos but I was wondering...is it worth it to increase the load range rating? I have load range F as original equipment but was thinking that it might be a good idea to switch to G for extra piece of mind. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I am looking at Sumitomos but I was wondering...is it worth it to increase the load range rating? I have load range F as original equipment but was thinking that it might be a good idea to switch to G for extra piece of mind. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.
I've heard good things regarding the Sumitomos. In fact, Sailun has come a long ways in recent times.
It's always good to go with a heavier load range tire. It all depends on the weight you are running.
I would be going to a G at least on a coach.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I looked at the load range G Sumitomos of the same size. What I found is that they are larger in diameter by about four inches. That seems like too much for me to switch over to them, especially since I was only going to do the fronts now and the rears in the spring. What I don't understand is how that can be possible if they are the same aspect ratio?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #14

I have had Firestone tires on our last two Class A MH's and have not had any issues.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires