Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #1

To buy or not to buy extended warranty

OK folks, our factory warranty on our 2013 Thor Tuscanny has run out since the chassis /engine/drivetrain was assembled in 2012. So, the question now is do I purchase an extended warranty. Coach Net has one that THEY say is good and that they don't avoid paying claims. I can't find any confirmation of that claim. I have checked with some RV sales and shops and the mechanics say the warranty is rarely paid because of all the unreasonable requirements for routine maintenance. So I ask the forum, the experts, what is everyone's experience and advice on extended warranty for their Class A's. Lay it on me. Thanks!
Rookie RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
An extensively discussed question here. Suggest to use the search feature to find hours of reading comments both pro and con.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #3

I've always considered an extended warranty a waste of money and have never purchased one in 57 years of owning vehicles. I'm tens of thousands of dollars ahead. However, there are those who say they have saved thousands by having one. There are also those who haven't gotten back what they cost, but can't sleep well unless they have one. This has been discussed many many times and each person has to make their own choice based on their perception of value. Good luck.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

It's always a crap shoot. You buy one and never need it. You don't and next month the tranny drops out. I've never and most likely will never buy one. If it makes you feel good and can sleep better at night then get one.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Don't like them, don't use them. If you opt to get one, be sure to check the fine print. Many folks have an extended warranty but have a hard time getting them to pay for anything.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie RVer View Post
...So I ask the forum, the experts, what is everyone's experience and advice on extended warranty for their Class A's. Lay it on me. Thanks!
Like any group of experts, its all based on personal opinion. So, some here think they're great and many here think they're a waste.
Based on the past price quotes I was given and the long list of exceptions & exclusions & conditions, I come down on the waste of money side.
I keep track of every penny I spend on my RV's and I've never come close to spending anywhere near the annual cost of an extended warranty on any of my 3 RV's.
Paying someone $1000 a year(class A DP) to avoid the possibility that I may need to replace a $500 appliance, just didn't make financial sense. Justifying it based on the 1 in 100,000,000 chance that my whole engine would blow up, sounds like justifying Lotto tickets.
If you can afford to pay $4000 up front for an extended warranty, then you shouldn't have a problem paying for repairs as needed and put that money in an interest earning account.
If it makes you sleep better, then go for it. But don't expect any other advantage from it.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #7

I'm gonna agree with Jim. He sums it up great. Are you buying the extended service plan to cover the $20,000 claim and you're OK not getting your money back, or will you be upset if at the end of seven years you came out behind? People on here will argue both ways. Lots came out ahead self insuring, lots came out ahead with the ESP. Me personally, I think I'm looking at the Xtra Ride because of Coach Net's clause that all maintenence must be done at a service center. And don't let others here overly persuade you with the argument if you can't afford the major repair then maybe you should own an RV. It's really about your comfort level and what you're trying to get out of the A ESP.
ACE293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 AM   #8

We've been full time nearly 6yrs. and have an XtraRide policy that we purchased from www.wholesalewarranties.com It's all in what you're comfortable with. In our case we travel a lot...Maine to Ca., Fl. to Alaska, and many, many places in between. We've NEVER had a problem with XtraRide, unlike the Good Sam policy we had years ago. It has more than paid for itself, and we've needed work done from the Yukon to La., Maine to Az. Because of our traveling ways we put a lot of strain on things and wanted to be covered. But it's different strokes for different folks.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

I would never leave home without it! We have had our coach 2 1/2 years and have used our EW several times it has already pay for itself in mechanical cost let alone it allows me to sleep at night.
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE293 View Post
I'm gonna agree with Jim. He sums it up great. Are you buying the extended service plan to cover the $20,000 claim and you're OK not getting your money back, or will you be upset if at the end of seven years you came out behind? People on here will argue both ways. Lots came out ahead self insuring, lots came out ahead with the ESP. Me personally, I think I'm looking at the Xtra Ride because of Coach Net's clause that all maintenence must be done at a service center. And don't let others here overly persuade you with the argument if you can't afford the major repair then maybe you should own an RV. It's really about your comfort level and what you're trying to get out of the A ESP.
I had an Xtra Ride and was very happy with them. Can't comment much on Coach Net but if they do have a clause in there that the maintenance must be done at a service center I would pass on it.
Any contract make sure you read the details. The saying goes, the devil is in the details...
Old 03-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we just used ours on the hydraulic level system. We have a policy from Good Sam purchased at the time we got our new 2013 Thor Ace....the levelling system failed and the entire pump had to be replaced. We learned that you must take your rv to a Camping World and have them verify the issues...then they have to have permission to get the okay to fix/repair the issue...they also have to contact the manufacturer...three way conversation...takes time to get all on the same page but we ended up have to pay on the shipping on the pump and the $50 deductible....all for under$100. The pump cost close to $3000...plus labor...so right now I am pleased that we had the extended warranty. Who would expect the leveling system to stop working after only three years?
Old 03-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

We bought ours at the time of purchase thru the Dealer who we really trust. He sold it to us at his cost, it has a $50 deductible and covers the MH bumper to bumper for 7 years on everything that is not covered by the original warranty until that portion expires, for example some things are covered for multiple years like the roof thru Newmar. If I remember right it was around $2000. That gives me peace of mind and to be honest if I never have to use that is even better. But if my fridge goes out, that's $3700 right there, or hydraulics, TV's, cameras, generator, inverter ect. There are a lot of components on these things today that could cost thousands to replace.

The way I look at it is I pay about $1000 per year to State Farm Insurance every year and hope I never have to use it(I know it's the law to have insurance). But if I take that $2000 divided by 7, that is about $285 a year insurance. Not a bad gamble for peace of mind in my opinion.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote