Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #15

Thanks everyone, a lot of great input. Everything included in my setup are pretty new. Ill look into the U bolt anti rattle setup. I'd love to get at boltsbthat mount base plate to fiat frame but cant easily because I'd have to remove front endbof car. But they do feel tight , now movement at all.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #16

Im thinking some are talking this wrong, the coach doesn't have any kind of issues with the subject. Like I said a person noticed the fiat was moving on the back end a little, I never saw looking at rear cam that moved it all, must of been so minimal .I just thought it was dirty air from RV and strong crosswind.
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
35' a- class with big mud flap across the back of rv pulling a small fiat going 65 mph only, strong gust winds while pulling. We stopped to fuel up and a driver walked over to tell me as he followed me the little car back end was swerving a little bit. So I checked all bolts, cables clips ,hitch, everything! All was good. So my thought was at was due to the combo of dirty air from RV, crosswinds ect. Now I did feel tires on pull car, they felt ok, also I always. Watch tow car in dash cam. Need I be concerned?

It could be tow bar play letting it move or you are swaying and it’s just following.
Old 04-17-2022, 09:07 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Im thinking some are talking this wrong, the coach doesn't have any kind of issues with the subject. Like I said a person noticed the fiat was moving on the back end a little, I never saw looking at rear cam that moved it all, must of been so minimal .I just thought it was dirty air from RV and strong crosswind.
I feel the movement your "observer" noted is pretty much normal for the size car you are pulling. You never mentioned what type of MH you were driving. If its a gasser, then the rear overhang behind the rear wheels of the MH are probably going to be a bit longer that that of a DP. This will make any movement in the steering wheel of the MH as you account for the wind gusts more pronounced in the car. The Fiat is a short wheel based car, so it will show more movement than that of a longer wheel based vehicle... I hope what I am trying to say makes sense...
DuaneMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #19

Quote:
That happens to my Silverado pickup. My MH has a huge wing on the rear of the roof to deflect air down behind the coach, which causes the MH to handle differently when towing the pickup at interstate speeds.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:52 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I roll similar to CamJam1. But, instead, my fresh tank is near full when we head out on a journey, while my black tank has about 3 gallons of water/with chemicals mixed in, and our gray tank is nearly empty. Our fresh tank is between the axles. The added weight makes for much smoother drive. When departing from a camping spot, and heading home, I wait to empty the black & gray tanks when I pull into the place where I store the rig. To each their own, but we, mostly, use our fresh water tank and water pump for most of our journeys.

Checking for proper tire pressures before every departure, is also done. Our rig only had the Sumo springs option added, when we purchased, and the motorhome drives very well. We've owned a good Fleetwood DP prior to this gas motorhome, and the air suspension on the DP was nice, but this gas coach travels fairly well, with no issues going up and down hills or elevation change. I have the U bolt hitch tighteners that have been mentioned here, and used them on previous RVs, but haven't felt the need to use them on this rig. The hitch is tight, and solid, enough for me. If I needed to use a riser/drop hitch, then I'd, likely, use the hitch tightening U bolts. Before I roll away in the motorhome, pulling one of our Jeeps, I check for proper tail/brake/turn signal function on the Jeep and motorhome, followed by opening the Jeep drivers side door to make sure that the Jeep steering wheel feels like power steering (and not stiff). Then, a quick look at the hitch to make sure everything is secure, and it's time to roll. We've driven in 40-55mph winds (horrible around Amarillo one time w/ dust storm), and some of the winds were steady cross winds. We just slowed down to 50-55mph for several miles, before I gave up and pulled into Oasis RV Park for a few days (until the dust storm calmed down). That was the one and only severe dust storm that I've ever experienced. I hope to never experience that again. I was managing the wind challenge, but the thick dust storm was horrible. For our safety, and considering that I'm driving a costly house on wheels, I decided to stop until the dust storm passed. 'Nuff of dat! I don't want to go through another dust storm, but I learned some things from experiencing it, to apply to a "next time" if it occurs.
TomsMaHauL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind