Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 284
To run or not to run

I am wondering when I am driving down the road do I run the generator? I am assuming I have to either run the generator or turn on the lp for for the refrigerator to work. Or at least that is what I thought they told me at the dealership. I have noticed thought a lot of the lights and stuff in the coach seem to work off the coach batteries. I know they told if I want heat in the back I have to run the genie.
foundwaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,866
Your refrigerator should have a "Auto" set, it will automatically switch to propane or electric, which ever one is available, propane must be on.
When plugged in to shore power electric will be first choice.
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 2,866
Forgot to say, Welcome to forum.
You should list type and year of your motorhome, will help with reply's.
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 8,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundwaldo View Post
I am wondering when I am driving down the road do I run the generator? I am assuming I have to either run the generator or turn on the lp for for the refrigerator to work. Or at least that is what I thought they told me at the dealership. I have noticed thought a lot of the lights and stuff in the coach seem to work off the coach batteries. I know they told if I want heat in the back I have to run the genie.
foundwaldo,
Running the genny when cruising down the road is no biggie. About 99.999999% of RVers have been using LP to run their fridge for ever since Christ was a pup. I won't get into all that garb about shutting it down when you pull in for gas/diesel and all that. That's up to each individual. When you get down to it, LP is a more efficient way of working the fridge. 120VAC works and gives us all options. But, for cooling down, LP is superior.

Now, yes, about 99.9999% of the RV lighting INSIDE the coach, water pump, furnace, and certain other appliances, all operate off of 12VDC which, is supplied by the coach/house batteries. Now, up front, your heat should, I SAY SHOULD come from your dash and, while it may be enough to keep your hands and fingers and face warm, getting heat beyond the cab is tough duty for a dash system.

So, yes, you may have to run the genny if you have some form of 120VAC heat in the back. Or, if you have a 12VDC furnace, you really don't need to run the genny 'cause, that kind of heat is ran off of the coach battery(ies) and, the alternator is keeping them all topped off even with a load on them like the furnace.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,379
Most run the generator to powner the rooftop ACs in hot weather.

The dash AC can only do so much.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 28,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Forgot to say, Welcome to forum.
You should list type and year of your motorhome, will help with reply's.
A few clicks and I found its a 33 ft Four Winds.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
momdoc's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Where we park it!
Posts: 11,845
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Yes run the Genny when driving with AC running. Many folks do and it is a good way to exercise it. However it has to be under load to do any meaningful exercise. Our frig runs off the batteries when driving.

Enjoy the adventure!
__________________
momdoc
2018 Tiffin Allegro RED 37PA
2020 JEEP Trailhawk
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
oscarvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
About 99.999999% of RVers have been using LP to run their fridge for ever>>>>>>>


>>>>>>>Or, if you have a 12VDC furnace, you really don't need to run the genny 'cause, that kind of heat is ran off of the coach battery(ies) and, the alternator is keeping them all topped off even with a load on them like the furnace.
Scott
MOST DP's come with residential fridges and inverters. No propane. Your premise is a few years out of date.

A 12VDC furnace WILL need propane. The electrical load is for the fan only. It's minimal. It may or may not run when driving. Mine won't.

To the OP... yes, you can run your generator while driving. Doesn't improve your mileage but it's the only way to run your AC, or the heat pump which I assume your dealership was alluding to.
__________________
Formerly 2017 Berkshire 38A
https://dragonship.blog/
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 8,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
MOST DP's come with residential fridges and inverters. No propane. Your premise is a few years out of date.

A 12VDC furnace WILL need propane. The electrical load is for the fan only. It's minimal. It may or may not run when driving. Mine won't.

To the OP... yes, you can run your generator while driving. Doesn't improve your mileage but it's the only way to run your AC, or the heat pump which I assume your dealership was alluding to.
Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
GNRVNG's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: PHX, AZ
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott
I too run generator for A/C's far better than running dash A/C and improves gas mileage. Not to mention refrig running too, all electric coach.
__________________
Pete and Carol
2015 Fleetwood Bounder 35K, 5-Star Tuned
USAF Retired '79-'03
GNRVNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
hohenwald48's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nashville, TN area
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Not hardly,
If you're referring to very, very late RVs, yes, there are quite a few that the manufacturers have ventured over to residential fridges. But NOT ALL!!! I'm referring to the thousands and thousands of pre- late model diesels, (as in say maybe 2014 maybe and newer) that have dual power RV fridges. I know many, many diesel drivers and coaches that were factory outfitted NOT WITH RESIDENTIAL FRIDGES.

And, a 12VDC furnace is TWELVE VOLTS. That means the fan in it is a DC powered fan too. If yours doesn't run, with or without you running the coach, somethings not right. The whole 12VDC furnace thing is powered off the coach batteries and not any form of 120VAC.

Now, HEAT PUMPS, that's a different animal. We have both the 12VDC furnace system and 120VAC basement A/C and Heat pump.
Scott
I gotta' agree with FIREUP on this. I would be surprised if the OP's gas powered 2005 Thor Hurricane has a residential refer.
__________________
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627 on a 2018 F-53 26K chassis w/6 speed transmission
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU with Ready Brute tow system w/Currie Tow Plate
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
brokenrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 408
I run the generator to exercise it. Running the A/C and fridge on 120V to put a load on it. Good for the generator.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Alegro 32CA
1996 Itasca Suncruiser 29RQ, 7.4, P32
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
RunningHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 464
Where I live triple digits or very close are the norm in the Summer. I turn on the generator when I start the coach. It is not abnormal to run it 15 hrs a day.
__________________
2007 Winnebago Journey 36G
2002 Eagle Cap
1999 Tiffin Allegro (sold)
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 359
I f running in hot weather, I run the generator with the roof air and frig. And leave the dash air off. If cooler weather, I use the propane for the frig, anduse dash air if needed, without the generator running.
__________________
H.B. & Deb. Harlie, (the baby dane) Molly(spoiled Shih Tzu) , 06 Pace Arrow ,36D full slide , electric jacks , Blue Ox Aventa II , 97 Harley Heritage.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run Florence, RUN Ivylog Southeast Region 1 09-11-2018 03:13 PM
RUN Florence, RUN Ivylog iRV2.com General Discussion 2 09-11-2018 05:56 AM
to run refrig while not in use or not while parked fxdave MH-General Discussions & Problems 29 11-02-2010 08:09 PM
To run or not to run..that is the question Jimbo8264 iRV2.com General Discussion 7 11-18-2006 04:30 PM
front brakes run hot on the first run of the day--why? DougJ Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 7 09-16-2006 11:51 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.