Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
To Tarp or Not to Tarp

I recently bought a cover for my new Allegro coach. Then I run into an article on the web site www.rverscorner.com. Here's the short article:

To Tarp or Not to Tarp

As a concerned RV Technician, I am totally against the tarping of an RV. If your roof is maintained and in good condition, it will withstand the forces of Mother Nature. If you simply must "tarp" your unit, build an "A" frame type of structure to repel rain or snow while allowing air to circulate beneath the tarp and above the roof of the RV. A tarp laid on the roof and draped down the walls, is an invitation to dry rot - you want the moisture to escape - not to be held in, as a tarp will do. Also, a tarp will move with the wind, regardless of how well it is secured. This results in chaffing of the sidewall paint, and we don't want to discuss that in this article!

What to do? My new cover is still in the box and could be returned. The cover manufacturer says it breathes so what to do?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pat G in Knoxville, TN
pgeddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i DON'T TARP

If you can park out of the sun fine if not well a body can only do so much
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

I choose not to for several reasons, I'm too old to fall that far or drug off when the wind decides it wants good laugh when it parachutes me off and once covered it will be "too much trouble" to uncover for quick get always and then eventually "too much trouble" for just about any outing so your feeding a covered box.

Let it fry... I'm too short to see the top anyway.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #4

Not to tarp, tarps moisture but I'm a real believer in a cover to protect from the elimates that is breathable or a carport which is best by far.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
We bought a name brand tarp/cover for a motorhome we had. Paid a pretty good price. It lasted 2 years. Holes developed and wind blew water in defeating the plan - we may not have had it properly attached, I don't know, but, it seemed a waste of money - OTHO, the tarp is doing a fair job as a boat cover for our 24' boat.

I do agree with the poster that noted tarps (even the gigantic blue/brown/green/silver ones) are a nuisance to put on or take off and one tends to leave it alone and find something else to do with the free time.

Your results may be different

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put one on for the winter and made a A frame for it and tied it down with bungy cords. The tarp came thru the winter with 2 feet of snow on it just fine.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
The first year I didn't cover the 5er and the rig was filthy in the spring (we don't get much snow in the winter but do get a lot of rain) The last year we bought a breathable rain cover and the rig came through very clean with no issues except that in areas around the rear bumper and the folded up stairs in particular where the cover wore through far to easily. Would I get another cover...Yup...
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #8

I currently cover mine when not is use for several weeks. While it is a pain to cover/uncover it does keep the roof clean. I use some plastic type laundry baskets that I spread along the top to keep the cover above the roof surface. This keeps the cover height the same as the AC units and other roof obsticles. This allows air movement to reduce the chance of mold/mildew. I also run a rope around the entire MH about 1/2 way up to keep the cover from billowing in the wind. Along with bungee cords on the bottom it is pretty secure to the MH. There will come a day when I won't be able to use the cover do to old age but for now I will cover.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I think there may be some confusion here between a tarp and a well designed / made covers. I use a cover every winter and have had no issues. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have covered ours every since we have had the unit which we bought new 10 years ago. I think the cover has preserved the exterior and the4 general condotion of our MH. But there are some factors.

We store in the summer, relative humidity in the 45% range, seldom do we have winds of magnatude and we are stored in a relatively protected area. We use our rig in the winter.

Covers will tear and deteriorate and they will chafe a bit on the corners. We average about four years per cover. A very expensive one of sunbrella material may not but then the cost is prohibitive for me. I use the ADCO brand from Camping World the designer series and I am very satisfied with the cover. I install it and remove it by myself. However since we are seasonal travelers then I only remove and replace about four times per year. If I did more than that I would have another routine or get some help. This particular cover was offered with a replacement "insurance" for about $120.. I bought it on the information that if it ripped (which it has) it would be replaced. I am waiting for a few more years to take it in for replacement so if i get another then it will cut the cost for two about 40% over time.

A completely unscientific survey tells me most people do not cover, of the 15 or so rigs in our storage area we are the only ones who do.

But adding up the pros and cons, we cover.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

We cover when the unit is going to be sitting for a lenghty period of time. We have an Addcp cover and I find it fairly easy to remove and install. I have devised my own folding system when removing that make installing very easy. We live at over 6000 foot elevation so the sun is very intense, the cover actually helps keep the interior cool, we leave a few windows open, and our nights are usually very cool so the interior cools of very well and the cover helps to keep it cool, also it protects the graphics from sun fade.
I haven't seen any signs of chafing, but don't deny that it could happen.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cover

I don't tarp, but I do cover with an Adco. We have had 5 m/h's and covered two with a (blue) plastic cover. A- p i t a. The other 3 we covered with an Adco fitted one and it was great. Current one 8 yrs old.
Put it away clean and open it up clean and drive away. As was mentioned above, a couple of upside down plastic laundry baskets on the roof the same height as the a/c covers make a big difference when it snows and it keeps the air moving.
I added more cords across the bottom and cut down on the moving. The cover itself doesn't chaff it, the strap connectors on the bottom do that. You can put something behind that part like a piece of rubber.
I like the suggestion about tying a piece of line (or rope) around the middle and cut down on the billowing. I will try that.
Any objects like awnings and sharp corners will rub against the cover and ultimately wear it through. I usually use extra wide "Duct" tape on both sides of the "wear" or "tear" when I take it down. When I put it back up it looks like a "Coat of Many Colors", all grey. Who cares, it's what the m/h looks like when I uncover it that counts.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #13

Want to see tarp? 30 x 60 from Northern tools $110.

See them damn trees? I Just use it when the leaves start to fall before I put it in storage.

Gotta quit stepping through the skylights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180078.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	23474  
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are some conditions where it might be a good idea to tarp but frankly I have problems imagining one.

The greater probility is if you tarp, some fine sand or grit will get between the tarp and your very expensive paint job and do a #1 Sandpaper job on it as the tarp moves in the wind.

This is NOT a good thing

Thus building a "Garage" (be it an A-Frame, Quonset or just a dome shaped roof with sides) is the way to go, You do not want ANYTHING lying against the motor home or trailer that can move in the wind.