Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #15

How about just replacing the one plug end with one that does not have the handle attached?

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyWJones View Post
I probably shouldn't tell on myself, but here goes...

I had an extra length of 50 amp cable left over from my previous coach that had a twist-lock connector on one end. My current coach doesn't use that type so I ordered several new 50 amp male and female connectors to renew the one on the coach and to make a 25 foot extension cord. I ordered the nice kind that had handles molded in. In total, I put on 6 of these. Boy my hands were sore the next day after wrestling all those connections. My original cord was hard-wired to the coach so I cut it inside the bay and put a new plug on it. I bought a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C and put plugs and sockets on it where I could bypass it if need be. Then all new connectors on the other cords.

I can't tell you how proud I was of my work. After mounting the PI box and running the display wire inside I thought I'd connect everything up and do a smoke test. Imagine my surprise when I found that the brand-new yellow connectors were much too big to go through the access hole in the bottom of the electrical bay.

Now, until I can find a larger access cover and enlarge the hole, I have to leave the door open just to plug in to shore power. It seem like the stores would know not to sell products to unqualified electricians with wives who ask, "Did you know the rear door is open?"
Oh....my stomach is hurting and my eyes are watering from my laughing! At least she didn't ask why the cord isn't coming through the hole that it was designed for...as my wife surely would have!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Wiggling a plug on the way out can cause problems. If you left the breaker on and wiggled it enough so that the angle was enough that you were to disconnect the lower neutral blade while the two mid hot blades were still connected you would run 240 volts across the system without a neutral. That's the reason (actually, one of many) why you never plug or unplug your cord with the breaker turned on.

The second reason is that you can crack the bakelite insulation on the receptacle. I'm sure we've alll seen those at various campgrounds. That makes for a loose connection.

Using some sort of straight pull device like those previously mentioned help eliminate those issues. If you don't have one of those make sure to pull the plug out of the receptacle nice and straight. And ALWAYS switch off the breaker.
Some really good information here. Even a simple task like plugging in or unplugging is an area I can learn about ... after RVing for 11 years. lol Thank you.