Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1

Question To Warranty or Limited Warranty or not

Thanks again to all previous help for this newbie to finally make his purchase decision; a 2013 Newmar Baysport Bunk Model #3310! (brand new) with I year coach warranty and 3 year engine/chassis manuf built in warranty). Could I get feedback on the extended warranty offer that I am 'torn up' about. While I normally agree that these are money-makers for the dealer and warranty company, I wonder if the math isn't worth it: For about $3300 up front, I can extend those warranty's to 7 years through SAL, which is a well known name I believe. This coverage includes basic engine, transmission, steering, brakes, most importantly all things electrical, air conditioner, fuel system, cooling, suspension, water heater, waste systems, range, fridge, LP gas, heating. When I consider the $50 deductible, the fact I am not mechanically inclined and nor do I have much time as my son is special needs and prone to meltdowns and no patience (which shortens our tolerance of being down from repairs)-it makes me wonder about if the cost is worth it, given it is such a minor amount compared to purchase price, that plus the horror stories I hear about all the boggling electrical issues that could come. The other option is to go with 'coach only' protection for about $2700,,which is where the problems tend to occur. Opinions?
Tisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for the warranty company itself, I dunno. I am usually not a fan of extended warranties, however in your scenario I think it is probably a good thing to do. I think you have made a realistic assessment to guide the decision.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

Put the money for the extended warranty aside. Let it grow and draw on it for any major repairs. Expect service to be slow for anything but extremely minor problems.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #4

Thanks for that, It is the direction I'm leaning in, appreciate your time
Old 03-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Just my opinion but for $3300 that is about the least expensive insurance you can have. Refer $1100+, trans depending but at least $4000 motor up to $35,000. I'm just sayin'
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If your rig is a 2013, I would hold on to my money. You can always buy an extended service plan (ESP), at a later date. You will still be responsible for routine annual maintenance, so get used to putting money out of your pocket. ESPs only cover repairs due to a failure when proper routine maintnenance can be documented, if asked. If you do decide to forgo this advice, just make sure you understand if your policy is an inclusionary or exclusionary policy... And if it offers consequential damage... Good luck with the new rig and welcome to IRV2!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #7

Thanks for taking time to answer me, I appreciate it
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #8

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it and you make a good point
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have always felt that what extended warranties provide best is peace of mind. Your situation could really use some peace of mind so I think you are thinking about this in the right way.

Waiting a year is pretty good advice since you are already covered by factory warranties. Don't forget to negotiate the price of the policy too.

FWIW, we bought a 6 year policy with Easy Care when we purchased our new DP in 2007. It is about to expire and they called me with an offer to renew. As a part of this process, they shared with me that they had paid all eight of my claims totaling $6200. I paid $6700 for the policy.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM   #10

We opted not to purchase any warranty on our 13 Baystar. Ford covers the chassis completely for 3 year or 36k miles. They also cover the drivetrain for 5 years or 60k miles. Newmar covers the coach for one year. We have a lot of Ford vehicles and they very rarely need anything other then oil lube and filters. And tires about every 50K. Other then a few minor adjustments our coach has been trouble free. I have done a few mods to the chassis just for fun and drive ability. I would rather spend the warranty money on better shocks, trac bar, the five star tune and so on. If anything breaks after warranty periods expire, I will just fix it or have it fixed on me. Extended warranties are not for me, and never have nor will I ever buy them.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #11

Much appreciate your sound advice and it seems waiting a year males sense (for the coach coverage to expire)and 3 years for the engine/chassis warranty to expire. Is that the smart way? Have I got it right that buying an extended warranty now would be redundant and useless coverage (as the built in warranties already cover all). If so, is this not unconscionable on the part of the dealer? If I wait the 1 and 3 years respectively, how do O know the cost on a them used rig won't negate any savings from waiting (or is the commission to the dealer so outlandish that it always pays to wait)? Sorry for all the questions but you raise good points.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I have always felt that what extended warranties provide best is peace of mind. Your situation could really use some peace of mind so I think you are thinking about this in the right way.

Waiting a year is pretty good advice since you are already covered by factory warranties. Don't forget to negotiate the price of the policy too.

FWIW, we bought a 6 year policy with Easy Care when we purchased our new DP in 2007. It is about to expire and they called me with an offer to renew. As a part of this process, they shared with me that they had paid all eight of my claims totaling $6200. I paid $6700 for the policy.

Best of luck to you.

Rick
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am increasingly inclined to wait till existing warranties expire
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha View Post
Have I got it right that buying an extended warranty now would be redundant and useless coverage (as the built in warranties already cover all). If so, is this not unconscionable on the part of the dealer? If I wait the 1 and 3 years respectively, how do O know the cost on a them used rig won't negate any savings from waiting (or is the commission to the dealer so outlandish that it always pays to wait)? Sorry for all the questions but you raise good points.
If you read the extended warranty fine print, they will not cover a failure that is covered by a manufacturer's warranty or any other plan. So paying for something now where you already have coverage, doesn't give you better coverage, it just means you're paying for something you will not get use out of. As far as buying an ESP a few years down the road, you will find there are many companies out there that are very competitive to win your business. In the meantime use the money to enjoy the mh.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #14

warranty

This my is 2 cents... say no to a new $3300 policy. it's to early. Make sure the power train is cover'd (big bucks).

I bought a 2006... scared, I took an $8000 5 year plan... coverers all your stuff, but almost 3 times yours... BUT! My rig is 7 yr old. Don't buy now...buy later. But get ready for the pricing...