Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
One of my concerns with the TOAD is licensing...

I'm in Wisconsin...

My understanding is once you get over 45 feet you need a commercial license... RV is 40 feet. I expect any car to be longer than 5 feet ...

In many states, the combined weight also puts you over a threshold, and all of a sudden you need a different license...
You make a valid point. Each jurisdiction is different. Here in Ontario, the license requirements are determined by total weight (MH plus towed vehicle) and not by length. It's not a big issue for us, as our MH is light compared to a DP or larger gas units.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 07:50 AM   #16

Quote:

I'm in Wisconsin...

My understanding is once you get over 45 feet you need a commercial license... RV is 40 feet. I expect any car to be longer than 5 feet ...

In many states, the combined weight also puts you over a threshold, and all of a sudden you need a different license...
If that is a major concern, it should not be. In NC, it took two trips to the DMV to get a non-commercial class B license. Once for a written test that took ten minutes. Two weeks later, a road test that took about 30 minutes altogether. The tests were very easy and required very little prep. The process takes longer because of the number of people going through the DMV office every day. I did make appointments, so that helped. You should at least read the driver's handbook anyway, whether you need a different license or not. Most states predicate the license requirement on the weight of the rv alone and the use of air brakes rather than length. The typical cutoff is 26,000 pounds. Your state may vary.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #17

Why not just fly, stay in a hotel, rent a car, and skip the MH all together? No payments, no upkeep, no depreciation. Personally, I like sleeping in my own bed, cooking when I want, going where I feel like going. And when we get there, the toad is ready to explore, go shopping, visit wineries, whatever. And we don't have to depend on anyone else to have anything ready for us. And many places we go don't have nearby airports, rental car outlets, or hotels, either.
Mike
Mnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
If that is a major concern, it should not be. In NC, it took two trips to the DMV to get a non-commercial class B license. Once for a written test that took ten minutes. Two weeks later, a road test that took about 30 minutes altogether. The tests were very easy and required very little prep. The process takes longer because of the number of people going through the DMV office every day. I did make appointments, so that helped. You should at least read the driver's handbook anyway, whether you need a different license or not. Most states predicate the license requirement on the weight of the rv alone and the use of air brakes rather than length. The typical cutoff is 26,000 pounds. Your state may vary.
I don't believe Wisconsin has that option... it goes straight to CDL
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnoel View Post
Why not just fly, stay in a hotel, rent a car, and skip the MH all together? No payments, no upkeep, no depreciation. Personally, I like sleeping in my own bed, cooking when I want, going where I feel like going. And when we get there, the toad is ready to explore, go shopping, visit wineries, whatever. And we don't have to depend on anyone else to have anything ready for us. And many places we go don't have nearby airports, rental car outlets, or hotels, either.
Mike
Same reason we got the RV in the first place : 3 kids, 2 dogs...
Old 09-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

I'm in Wisconsin...

I think you need to call your DMV because I think you are misinterpreting the requirement. Specifically, the Wisconsin DMV website, in the Who is exempt from CDL licensing in Wisconsin? section, states: "Recreational vehicle operators (owned or leased motor home, fifth wheel mobile home or touring mobile home, provided it isn’t longer than 45 feet) not engaged in commercial activity are not required to hold a CDL." I believe that statement is specific to your MH length and does not include your toad, but better to call to the DMV to verify that. That kind of statement is pretty typical across the US regarding RV's
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:32 AM   #21

Quote:
I'm new to class A's... Will be taking our first trips in the spring...

Initially our plan is to get to our desired site, and if needed, rent a car for 4-5 days...

Curious why more folks don't just do that?

Many car rental companies will drop the car off for you...

At $30 a day for 5 days, you have $150 or so...

My guess is that dragging a car with you will cost at least that in gas, depreciation, wear and tear, etc...

I do understand that a TOAD is a convinience,and if you RV a lot, then it makes sense.

If you take 3-4 trips a year, then it may be less beneficial...?

When most of you started driving Class A's, how did you initially get around? Suggestions?

UBER?
We started off with our first coach and rented a car for a week...then we did w/o rental etc., and only walked to our destinations (fortunately in area where everyone was close). After that we bought a jeep and couldn't imagine travelling without it...convenience, piece of mind. I would suggest do it a couple of times then you will have better understanding what's best for you. Go with TOAD if you decide to tow a vehicle.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I think you need to call your DMV because I think you are misinterpreting the requirement. Specifically, the Wisconsin DMV website, in the Who is exempt from CDL licensing in Wisconsin? section, states: "Recreational vehicle operators (owned or leased motor home, fifth wheel mobile home or touring mobile home, provided it isn’t longer than 45 feet) not engaged in commercial activity are not required to hold a CDL." I believe that statement is specific to your MH length and does not include your toad, but better to call to the DMV to verify that. That kind of statement is pretty typical across the US regarding RV's
Thanks... will clarify!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks... will clarify!
Good... Be sure to post what you find out for anyone else who might be looking for similar information.
Mike8253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #24

I have. 38' DP and an2 door wrangler as the toad. Echo what the others have said with an addition.
If you have a multiple day trip, different stops each night, then you probably won't want a rental every stop. Going to the grocery store w/o your own car adds a layer of logistics you won't like. Some stores you just can't get into easily with a class A.
Echo-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:33 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
The reason we camp is to get away from cities, airports, and similar places where car rental outlets are located. Good luck renting a car in Yellowstone National Park.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #26

FWIW....

In preparation for buying my first Motorhome (I've had a few travel trailers), I traded my big diesel pickup (no longer needed for towing) for a Jeep Wrangler to use as a Toad...

I set up the Jeep; tow bar set-up, lights wired, auxiliary brake system, break away switch, etc...

Our first test run with the Motorhome was only two overnights, about 30 miles from our house, and about 5 miles outside a commercial section of town.

We decided to leave the toad at home...

My wife, two Great Danes, and I left on our maiden voyage....

It was a good experience, enjoyed the differences of a motorhome v trailer... BUT... we decided we would never go anywhere again without the toad..

Reason 1- It's real convenient, when you need transportaion, and don't want to wait for "services"..
Halfway through the first day, my wife realized she forgot to pack something we wanted... didn't absolute need it... but would have been real convenient to have... we were 6 miles from a store where we could have replaced it... but I wasn't going to hike 12 miles, round trip, for it..

Reason 2 - We would be slow in getting immediate help for one of dogs in an emergency...
One day while walking the dogs, we saw a rattlesnake off a trail... no issue, we just avoided it. But then I thought about the dogs... If one of our dogs needed immediate medical treatment, like for a rattlesnake bite, you can't call 911. It would take about 40 minutes to break camp and be on the road to get help for them.. With the Jeep, there would be no delay in leaving to get help for the dogs

I have taken the toad with us every time since. We have always needed at least one supply run (and we are pretty good planners), and having it there is a comfort should something happen to our dog(s).

It really doesn't take much time/effort to detach the toad when we arrive, and hook up the toad when we leave.. I have a 40' Ford gas chassis motorhome, and don't even realize the toad is back there...

For us the convenience, and dog safety factor, far outweigh any costs or effort pulling the toad..
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #27

We purchased our MH earlier this year and had the same plan on using a rental car instead of a TOAD. Neither of our cars are easily towable so we thought it would be a simple solution to rent. Covid has sent me to the Jeep dealer to purchase our TOAD. We recently were in Traverse City, MI where we tried to rent a car. Enterprise, who always delivers, no longer delivers. I had to pick it up at their office which was about 10 miles from the RV park and could only do it during their new limited office hours. That meant we had no car for the entire weekend we arrived. I tried to get to Enterprise with Uber and discovered Uber no longer serviced Traverse City. Tried Lyft and they had 5 total drivers for the entire area. It all worked out but I prefer not to be at the mercy of so many factors beyond my control. Also, for me it's a safety factor. Not having any transportion just isn't comfortable for me.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm wondering where you're renting a car for $30 a day. I can't come anywhere close to that even with a corporate discount and reserving in advance. Maybe I don't rack up enough miles to get into that club.

Went to an "RV resort" last week and from there we rented a car. $70/day, plus flat $30 for dropoff and pickup to the park, Service was quick, from phone call to keys in hand was under an hour. It checked the boxes we wanted for the trip so it's just part of the overhead.

I have a 2WD pickup I hope to turn into a toad next year (can a princess just un-kiss it?). Aside from having my own car to knock around in I view the cab and pickup bed as additional storage, mindful of staying within weight limits. Stuff that isn't convenient to carry in the RV like bicycles or lawn chairs and such. So it amounts to an overgrown coaster wagon on the back to haul more stuff. One more check in the toad column for the rental vs toad poll.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rental, toad