Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2020, 09:22 PM   #99

National RV Owners Club
Had same question

We too are newbies and have purchased a 37' Class A - we had this same question. I LOVE all the information provided here. Thank you everyone for your experiences and expertise! While we don't yet feel proficient enough to tow a vehicle, we have a Mazda Miata (automatic) which seems like it would be a good thing to tow or put on a dolly. My next searches will be if it's possible to tow the Miata four down and the pros/cons to a tow dolly. Sounds like most like 4 down.
Thanks again for everyone's input!! We learn so much on this site!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2020, 11:40 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I think you need to call your DMV because I think you are misinterpreting the requirement. Specifically, the Wisconsin DMV website, in the Who is exempt from CDL licensing in Wisconsin? section, states: "Recreational vehicle operators (owned or leased motor home, fifth wheel mobile home or touring mobile home, provided it isn’t longer than 45 feet) not engaged in commercial activity are not required to hold a CDL." I believe that statement is specific to your MH length and does not include your toad, but better to call to the DMV to verify that. That kind of statement is pretty typical across the US regarding RV's

...or maybe call the department that’s going to enforce the law, NOT the DMV. The DMV isn’t going to cite you if you’re violating the law.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:35 AM   #101

We just went through the Tow'd vs Rental. We went 1,100 miles out and didn't think it was worth hauling the Jeep vs just grabbing a rent car for 5 days. At first it looked like it would only be $150 but as the trip got closer the rates had gone up to $400. I finally remembered to check under my corporate rate and it was only $135/wk. Bingo! Tow'd stayed home and we didn't have to worry with it for the 2,400 miles traveled.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #102

Just as others have said, try it, and see what fits your style. If you are going to be in a mid to large urban area, a rental might work for you. If you are going to the sticks, there might not be a place to rent a car. It is 50 miles from my house to the nearest car rental place. Most will not bring the car that far to us. Some would come 25 miles but even that is not to be taken for granted. Best of luck.
Linda Bohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:52 AM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWnow7372 View Post
We too are newbies and have purchased a 37' Class A - we had this same question. I LOVE all the information provided here. Thank you everyone for your experiences and expertise! While we don't yet feel proficient enough to tow a vehicle, we have a Mazda Miata (automatic) which seems like it would be a good thing to tow or put on a dolly. My next searches will be if it's possible to tow the Miata four down and the pros/cons to a tow dolly. Sounds like most like 4 down.
First welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new. So though a lot of cars out there probably can be towed 4 down or on all tow dolly not all can. First check your owners manual to see what it says. If you still can't tell there's other ways and providing year make and model on this forum will help as well. If its 4 down then next step is deciding what tow system you're going to use. Blue Ox, Roadmaster, etc. Which includes the tow system for your MH then you need to get the baseplate and electrical installed that corresponds with MH tow system. You'll also need to decide on a braking system for the car. Of course if you're the handy type you could buy everything and install it yourself. Now if its a tow dolly there's different ones out there like ACME, Roadmaster, etc. That operate differently, too. I personally an able to tow my MKX 4 down use a Blue OX system for DP MH and car with and RVi brake system. It may sound like a lot but it does take some research to decide on what you want after you determine what the manufacturer advises how to tow it.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:49 AM   #104

I haven’t been RVing as long as the majority of the folks on this thread, but I have done all three: rented, uber’d and towed (on two different types of dollies). Bringing my own vehicle by far, hands down the best choice (for us). While I haven’t towed 4 down, after dealing with the dolly, I look forward to it so I don’t deal with the dolly headache. Like everyone else has said, TRY what works best for YOU. Good luck and safe travels.
Tourbustoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #105

It only takes about 5 minutes to disconnect the toad with 4 down and we are ready to explore and have fun. Maybe takes about 10 to 15 minutes to hook up and check the lights and safety chains.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #106

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRanch View Post
It only takes about 5 minutes to disconnect the toad with 4 down and we are ready to explore and have fun. Maybe takes about 10 to 15 minutes to hook up and check the lights and safety chains.
Agreed , IMHO towing 4 down is the quickest, easiest method. Tried dolly wasn't fun hooking things up which includes crawling under the car in the rain. Never Uber or rent since always wanted to have a car immediately available if something was to happen to one of us or the motorhome. Lots of great experiences and insight so hopefully you'll provide us feedback once you decide and try it out. Thanks and Enjoy have fun.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:03 AM   #107

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWnow7372 View Post
Check your owner’s manual, but I think your Miata is NOT towable four down (automatic trans) and is NOT towable on a dolly (must be fwd to dolly tow). People are towing MANUAL transmission Miatas successfully four down although Mazda recommends against it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #108

I've done the dolly thing and now, 4 down. Four down is by far, the best for us for so many reasons (plates, storage of the dolly, etc. I can honestly say it takes about 2-5 mins to hook up and the same for unhooking. Since we boondock or do short stay-overs during our trips, renting or Uber would not work. It's a nice feeling to know that if you have a breakdown or need to run an errand, you have the immediate access to transportation.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #109

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never have towed anything with my RV (yet) I do tow all the time with my SUV pulling U - Haul trailers (HD Motorcycles) or my 24' boat. Been doing do for 25 years and no matter how efficient I have become; it takes me 30 min beginning to the end.

But if I needed a towed, the amount of time would NOT be a factor. A lot of people MUST have toads for all kinds of good reasons.

For others it may be a nice to have, but the net total investments, i.e. cost of vehicle, tow kits & installation costs, state registration fees / inspections, maintenance, insurance, etc. in addition to the extra labor to use it is a consideration versus the mere breakdown of electrical, water connections at a campsite (add in leveling if not automatic).

I was at a Winnebago dealer last month to pick up my RV and while waiting a older couple had just bought the very nice blue ox tow package for one of the those smaller looking Jeeps. The Service Tech was hooking it up , and even though that thing (tow bar) appeared to be stretchable, he had to get in and out of that Jeep 5 times before he was close enough and at right angle to make connection. It was only 10 minutes, but that was just getting Jeep to point of connecting two pins. In real world you have to position the vehicles first because you are always parking for two.

FWIW when couple got in the RV to pull off, the Jeep must have still been in Park or brakes set because they dragged the Jeep about 200 feet before I could flagged them down to stop
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:58 AM   #110

TOAD vs Rental Car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
...I think your Miata is NOT towable four down (automatic trans) and is NOT towable on a dolly (must be fwd to dolly tow).
MRUSA is correct.

The any year AUTOMATIC transmission Miata is NOT flat/4-down towable and NO ONE makes a pump or disconnect that will allow it to be flat/4-down towed.

MY suggestion is to dump it and get a MANUAL or buy an older MANUAL transmission car just to tow.

You cannot imagine what a GREAT towed car the Miata is.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We go to some remote places and not on any schedule. Not sure we could get a rental car deilvered in a timely manner, or if it's an option????

Fuel hit: maybe 1/2 mpg
Braking: almost not noticed
Mountains 7% grade: about 4 mpg
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I was at a Winnebago dealer last month. The Service Tech was hooking it up and even though that tow bar appeared to be stretchable, he had to get in and out of that Jeep 5 times before he was close enough and at right angle to make connection.
Practice or a 2nd set of eyes greatly lessens this task. Our towbar has extendable arms, further easing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
when couple pulled off, the Jeep [skidded} the Jeep about 200 feet
Never done that; won't again!

When first pulling the T-hawk, I (either or both) perform an S turn, extending both arms, while viewing the Toad wheel rotation via L & R mirrors.

Tags
rental, toad