Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Today I became a better Class A driver

Today I hit 3 new milestones in driving a class A. Soon I hope to be criss-crossing the US like many of you do, but til then I simply dream of doing that.

Anyway, my 3 milestones today were:

1 - first day trip of over 300 miles.
2 - first trip in winds of 30-35+.
3 - first trip pulling a TOAD.

After driving in all that wind, I was whipped but I had to complete the drive today. Definitely will continue to try to avoid/alter travel schedules to avoid future windy & other bad weather days. But now I know I can do it! And I was impressed with how well my Newmar Dutchstar handled the wind. The TOAD pulled like a dream. Didn't even hardly know it was behind us!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats!!!

You will find that each trip gets easier.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
Today I hit 3 new milestones in driving a class A. Soon I hope to be criss-crossing the US like many of you do, but til then I simply dream of doing that.

After driving in all that wind, I was whipped but I had to complete the drive today. Definitely will continue to try to avoid/alter travel schedules to avoid future windy & other bad weather days. But now I know I can do it! And I was impressed with how well my Newmar Dutchstar handled the wind. The TOAD pulled like a dream. Didn't even hardly know it was behind us!

Great job!
And yes, you will find that, each and every time you get in the big beast, it will get a bit easier. Your skills will improve, your knowledge of how it handles, brakes and drives, will all improve, every time you drive it. But, in any case, DO NOT get complacent. Do pay attention all the time, especially at slower speeds, parking lots, cramped camp gounds, backing up, and all that. Have a ball, enjoy your fun while you can. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I am in the midst of my first year with my Winnie Vista LX 35F and have gone thru the same growing pains, excitement, and sense of accomplishment you have... It is amazing how quickly your skills improve....however, in my travels this year I have seen some nasty (including fatal) RV mishaps and it is critical to stay in your comfort zone when driving.....if its too windy, get off the road, if its too wet, get off the road, if you've been on the road too long (whatever distance or time that may be) get off the road....stay within YOUR comfort speed and always assume the other guy is gonna do something stupid......these are the things that I remind myself of before hitting the road. I never try to push myself remember tomorrow is another day and besides going there is half the fun of getting there.
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's great when you cab get comfortable with it
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #7

Regardless of what you are driving, drive defensively. Be continually aware of your surroundings. I raced cars for 5 years. The best advice I could give anyone is to look ahead...way ahead. And always be aware of whose beside you.

For me, its stopping for gas and making sure I can get in and out with car in tow. It's the only thing that gives me pause.

Safe travels....and congrats on your growing confidence.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

ya all good ..I time stop lights as going done the road..no slamming on brakes..just coast into light try not to brake//
Old 10-21-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelchers View Post
I am in the midst of my first year with my Winnie Vista LX 35F and have gone thru the same growing pains, excitement, and sense of accomplishment you have... It is amazing how quickly your skills improve....however, in my travels this year I have seen some nasty (including fatal) RV mishaps and it is critical to stay in your comfort zone when driving.....if its too windy, get off the road, if its too wet, get off the road, if you've been on the road too long (whatever distance or time that may be) get off the road....stay within YOUR comfort speed and always assume the other guy is gonna do something stupid......these are the things that I remind myself of before hitting the road. I never try to push myself remember tomorrow is another day and besides going there is half the fun of getting there.
very very good advice. I've traveled millions of professional miles accident free. in earlier years I seemed to always be rushed (how I survived, I do not know). The best advice I'd ever give, or ever been given; "always assume the other guy is gonna do something stupid..."
markndianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by markndianna View Post
very very good advice. I've traveled millions of professional miles accident free. in earlier years I seemed to always be rushed (how I survived, I do not know). The best advice I'd ever give, or ever been given; "always assume the other guy is gonna do something stupid..."
That's so TRUE!!!! You can't fix stupid!!!!!
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

You're on your way to becoming a PRO! Keep on traveling!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #12

Just remember, even the most seasoned pro on this forum started out with less experience than you have now! So you are ahead of EVERYONE when THEY started out!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post

My only rule for ME driving is I drive at my comfort level. There are good roads, bad roads, high or low traffic roads and windy days. Just adjust to each and stay within your level of comfort.
The more miles you get under your belt, the more confident you will become. But no matter the experience, stay within your level of comfort.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad to hear you are comfortable with your rig. I have not reached that point quite yet. Moved up from a Class C to a Class a 3 weeks ago and have only got to take a couple short trips so I'm still on the low end of the learning curve. Just taking my time and getting used to the handling.
TnThompson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, driver