RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Todayís RV Paint Schemes

The DW & I went to the California RV Show this week. My motorhome is in need of a new paint job, so we entertained the idea of investing the money into a new DP instead of a paint job. That idea quickly evaporated.

My current coach has some fiberglass thermal checking on the side of the coach that seeís the most sun. I have been told that dark colors are more susceptible to thermal checking. This seems to be true, as my checking seems to be limited to areas that are my RVís darkest color, a chocolate brown.

What I found odd, is that almost every single DP we saw had a paint scheme that included a large amount of black paint. I would never own a black painted RV. Not only because of the potential thermal checking issue, but anyone thatís ever owned a black vehicle can tell you how they attract heat. Living in Southern California, that is the last thing I want to do.

In the end we have decided to keep what we have. I just donít understand the broad use of black paint by almost every DP manufacturer.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM   #2

Me too. Best is white with the smallest amount of painted on light colored striping to keep it from looking like a bread truck. It only takes once sitting under a black awning to realize itís a bad idea.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:01 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
The dark colors break up the imperfections in the sidewall builds, especially with the nausea inducing swirly crap.
And as with everything else.. fads come and go... or is it Monkey see-Monkey do?
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #4

Some time ago, there was a post here about I think a company that strips the paint, removes all fans and air vents sands down any rust and so on, it was perfect but I can't find the post.
If anyone comes upon it please let me know even if it a DIY
Safe Travels Victoria
Dreamer317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #5

We went through the same thought process and decided it would be much cheaper to have the sidewalls replaced and the coach painted (we had paint checking in the dark areas) then buy a newer coach. And we also do not understand why all the coaches have such dark color schemes. When we had the coach repainted, we went much lighter than what we had. The base is a cream color with lightish brown and brown/red stripes. We really like the new color scheme.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	393.6 KB
ID:	179886

We share your thoughts on the black paint. This is why we ordered our 2017 pace arrow 38k in a different color scheme. This combination is not offered on the pace arrow but the gray, white and blue is easy to take care of.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:04 AM   #7
dp7

We were also concerned about the durability, comfort & maintenance of dark colors. I think many of today's clear coat failures are due to the elevated temperatures induced by dark colors. We ended up going with lighter custom colors. So far no regrets.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:13 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just finished painting our 35ft 1999 Southwind, we looked at four basic schemes, a couple with swoosh , and a couple with straight lines. Most were what I call a light color scheme. (The majority of the color was light)

Color - We chose to leave the roof white, We were originally concerned on how this would look, but it turned out ok. We travel to AZ in the summer, and there's no way we'd survive with a dark color on the roof.

Side walls are also important but not as much as the roof.

You can see the four paint schemes we were looking at in the article II wrote for our paint project. ANy one of these would have looked very nice and brought back new life and look to our old motorhome.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
We just finished painting our 35ft 1999 Southwind.....

Waiter21, may I ask you what you paid? Iíve received some extremely high quotes so far.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Waiter21, may I ask you what you paid? I’ve received some extremely high quotes so far.
I did it myself. I have just under $1,000 in paint and materials and about 100 hours labor. It took about 2 months working weekends and nights.

Estimates I've seen are $5 - $7k in Mexico, and $10 - $15k in states. From my persona;l experience, these are all in line for a reasonably good, low cost paint job.

New paint for the ole Southwind – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
waiter,
I **really** like your finished results ... the coach looks great and I'm sure you and your family are justifiably proud of it's new appearance and your work.

I also want to mention that your write up of the project is excellent, as well ... nicely done, thx for documenting and posting.

looking forward to your future adventures and project shares.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #12

I just finished painting and trimming my icky faded paint.
Don't laugh........
Less than a Ben Franklin.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:45 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
The DW & I went to the California RV Show this week. My motorhome is in need of a new paint job, so we entertained the idea of investing the money into a new DP instead of a paint job. That idea quickly evaporated.

My current coach has some fiberglass thermal checking on the side of the coach that seeís the most sun. I have been told that dark colors are more susceptible to thermal checking. This seems to be true, as my checking seems to be limited to areas that are my RVís darkest color, a chocolate brown.

What I found odd, is that almost every single DP we saw had a paint scheme that included a large amount of black paint. I would never own a black painted RV. Not only because of the potential thermal checking issue, but anyone thatís ever owned a black vehicle can tell you how they attract heat. Living in Southern California, that is the last thing I want to do.

In the end we have decided to keep what we have. I just donít understand the broad use of black paint by almost every DP manufacturer.
Agree on the black/dark colors. Just about every new DP I see on the road seems to have black as a dominant color. People buy them so the manufacturers will keep painting them that way.

Just remember that even a new paint job will not cure the fiberglass checking. I had checking on an unpainted Winnebago Journey. I had the coach fully painted. They sanded it, used high fill primer and did a beautiful 5 color base coat/clear coat paint job (I used white as my primary color). Three years after the paint job, the checking came thru the new paint. It still looked great when we traded it but the thermal checking will always come back.

My current rig is starting to check on the darker colored (dark burgundy) areas.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Waiter21
I have a 1999 Southwind 32V with the same color scheme that you originally had. I have to say you did a fantastic job updating to the new century.
JX
jasperxray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint