Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #1

Toilet Flushing

So we’re in the middle of our trip from California to Banff and noticed an issue with our toilet. When flushing it seems as though little slivers of something is coming out when the fresh water is spraying the bowl. Not every time, but enough times that I’ve noticed. When looking at the hose (behind the toilet) it looks the some sort of buildup has formed. Which looks like what’s spraying out. Any ideas what it is? I’m trying not to fiddle with it too much since we’re far from home.

On a side note: about a 1.5 months ago I had the fresh water inlet valve replaced. I checked behind that valve and I don’t see any buildup there. I also replaced the camco water filter but didn’t see any of those slivers there. Only buildup I see is behind the toilet. Also haven’t seen anything come out of any other faucet, shower, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	253422
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 PM   #2

Maybe sediment or mold? You replaced the Camco filter? Are you talking about the little inline filter that hooks to the hose or a canister filter? I would remove the water pressure and pull that hose and swab it out and look at it, and also get a method (even coffee filters) to filter your water coming out of the faucets and see what is coming out but you may be able to find out from your aerators what may be coming out. As a minimum, I would be sanitizing your water system.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Maybe sediment or mold? You replaced the Camco filter? Are you talking about the little inline filter that hooks to the hose or a canister filter? I would remove the water pressure and pull that hose and swab it out and look at it, and also get a method (even coffee filters) to filter your water coming out of the faucets and see what is coming out but you may be able to find out from your aerators what may be coming out. As a minimum, I would be sanitizing your water system.

Yes the blue filter you attach to the hose outside the coach. We plan to be back at home later this week. I’ll remove it then and keep an eye on it. Sanitizing the rest of the water system is a good idea. It doesn’t look like mold. The best way to describe it is like shavings after a pencil is sharpened.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:05 AM   #4

It could be mold or algae in the lines. When the water system sits unused for a period of time especially in a warm climate, stuff grows. Example we haven't used the motorhome in a few months and this last trip when I flushed the toilet black stuff came out of the nozzles in the bowl. Several flushes later all clear. I don't store water in the tanks and sanitize a couple times a year. I'm on a well so no added chemicals in my water supply. I do have a whole house filter and secondary filter that supplies water to the ice maker and drinking water faucet. I also periodically clean the aerators for debris.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #5

Thanks all! You’re probably right stuff grows so I’ll make sure to clean it. It’s also in the short piece of plastic tubing behind the toilet. I believe that type of tubing is more prone to growth vs. the true water lines because of the material. However it will be good to sanitize it all.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:45 AM   #6

If the water coming out of all the other faucets is ok and only the water in the toilet has the particles I would replace the hose in your picture that attaches to the toilet.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's algae....You're also right about that type of hose more prone to algae buildup. What type of water do you have at home or wherever you fill your tank. Typically, city water is heavily chlorinated and doesn't allow the algae to grow. That hose needs to be removed and cleaned. When you get home, you can simply add some bleach to a water hose and then connect to your fill on the motor home. Flush the system and then refill.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

Cyanobacteria is usually blue green and your photo looks to be a slime sediment mixture. That is of course looking at the photo and a SWAG at this point.

Algae will only grow in sunlight and the hose in the photo would see a small amount so possible but again the color is wrong however dead algae can go to a brown color.

I would add about an ounce of peroxide, (3%) per 10 gallons of water now and you don't have to flush it out, you can use the water albeit I think for drinking water I would hold off on that one until you get home and Sanitize. the Disinfectant step now would help.

Be sure to couple your water hose together when traveling and store the filter in a container or bag so nothing can get to it.

Sounds like a great trip
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet