RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #1

Question Toilet leak - How to shut off water to toilet only

I have a 2013 Thor Hurricane 30' MH. It has a Thetford toilet (Model ???). The valve in back leaks. (I woke up two mornings ago to a flooded toilet and bathroom floor!). I finally got the valve off the back (hope I can get a new one on!). I could see where the leak was - a pinhole) but can't fix it.

This is my dilemma - How do I shut off the flow to the toilet? I can't use any water in the RV because it just shoots out of the hose feeding the toilet. I need to wash up after having my hands and head around the base of the toilet!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Sang Froid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #2

Good evening Mike; Does your Thor have a water manifold somewhere in the bay where the fresh water comes in and where the water pump is located. My Monaco has a manifold that directs water to a lot of the fixtures in the coach and at that manifold there are shut off valves to turn the water off to certain areas including the toilet. This lets you isolate an area with a problem. If not so can you look at the fitting that attaches to the valve and go to a hardware store and find a plug that you could screw into that water fitting! Only thing that comes to mind at this moment.

8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #3

My water lines are 3/8 pex for most of the water

I carry a few fittings and pex clamps plus the ratchet style tool, and luckily on the Tuscany never used yet

That would would be my plan, cutting and installation of a new valve
Milford 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would be surprised if there is not a valve just behind the toilet much like the ones in your house. It may be behind a panel near the toilet. If the toilet is next to an inner wall check on that wall directly behind the toilet. Last comment: get rid of the Thetford and buy a Dometic toilet.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it's PEX it doesn't get simpler. Sharkbite end cap fitting from most any box store.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if Thor installed a water manifold. While yo have the water shut off, install a 3/8" shut off valve behind the toilet. Any big box store or Ace hardware will have the Sharkbite fittings.

Ken
Old 06-02-2020, 10:43 PM   #7

Yes, there is a manifold but only a single shutoff valve for the whole RV! Very poor engineering.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 PM   #8

Thanks Milford. I'll check that out tomorrow.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #9

The hose drops straight down and out of sight below the floor.

I would love to get a Dometic but can't afford it right now. I just hope I can find just the valve that I finally got off the back.

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #10

Thanks, Mark. I'll check with the local ACE hdwr store. That seems to be a good quick fix until I can find a replacement valve.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #11

Thanks Ken. Mark also suggested the valve so will look into that first thing tomorrow morning so I can clean up!
Old 06-03-2020, 04:46 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sang Froid-

How does the pipe attach to the valve? If it's a threaded fitting, a 1/2" PVC pipe plug would probably work. See picture below.

In any case, take the valve with you to the hardware store, so you can get a plug to match.

Longer-term, installing a shutoff valve is wise.

We will need to know the model of the toilet to recommend a valve replacement. There will be a label on the base of the toilet, often in the rear (get a mirror), and sometimes under the plastic cover that goes around the base (on some makes/models).

It is not likely you will find a toilet valve replacement in a hardware store. An RV equipment store, or online, are your better bets.

On another topic, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.
Attached Images

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 PM   #13

Thanks, Mark. I did install a Sharkbite valve so I can now use water elsewhere in my MH. However, I had to pay $19 for a cutter to cleanly cut the tubing.

I called Thetford and gave them the model # and they gave me the part number for the water valve. I went on Amazon and they had the exact part number! It should be here Friday. Now I hope I can install it without to much trouble.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:50 AM   #14

Many of us carry the ratchet style pex tool and assortment of fittings

Luckily I have never needed it in the Tuscany however it got used in the Landmark

Milford 47 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, toilet, water