Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2022, 11:31 PM   #1

Toilet Leaking - Options ?

My toilet will not stop dumping water into it, once my business is done.

I have tried pulling the flushing handle upward. That didn't do any good.

I have also sprayed the flushing handle's spring mechanism with WD40, hoping to make the flushing handle move more freely hoping that it would travel more upward, stopping the water flow. That didn't do any good, either.

What are my options?

I have seen repair kits to "supposedly" fix a leaking toilet. For around $10, I am a little leary about this approach. Besides, my motorhome is a 2007. I'd rather not put a band-aid on the problem.. I would feel better if I just replaced the whole toilet.

I am not sure as to what toilet brand my motorhome has.

If it is a Dometic, am I limited to only a Dometic toilet, or am I able to install any RV toilet brand?

Opinions?
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2022, 11:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing the toilet is probably your best option. Repairing it would most likely be placing a bandage on the issue. Most likely unless it was replaced once before is probably a Dometic toilet. Usually on the side where the flush pedal is located is where you will find the model number. But then again I have found this information on the back side of the toilet too. Sometimes you can find the manufacturers name there as well. If that were mine I would be replacing the toilet with a new one. Be sure to pick up the installation kit with your new toilet.
Quick68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
RV toilets use a standard toilet mounting flange (same as a home) and the distance from the wall is the same for all brands and models. The water line inlet may require a change if you change brands or model. While the original installation may be PEX all the way to the toilet, a flexible service line can be used to make any modification easy.

IF you opt for repair, be sure to get a new base gasket if one doesn't come with the repair kit. The base gasket is different than a residential toilet. Replaced our toilet with a taller model a few years ago. The trip to Home depot for a flexible service line took longer than the actual replacement.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Try this: Turn off water to toilet; put on a rubber glove; get a good dab of vaseline on your fingers; hold the flush open and smear the vaseline on the under of the hole.
It might work for months, if not you wasted five minutes, a glove and a bit of vaseline.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #5

Replace the water inlet valve ---it is not closing

Model s/b on label on backside of toilet

*Look at the various Dometic/Sealand Models......pick which one looks like yours
Then you can find Parts List for that model
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdoo...van/rv-toilets

Compatibility chart
https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.Q4lYjq...id=ImgDet&rs=1
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced my Thetford toilet after the replacement part number I needed was ‘no longer available’. The new toilet was EXACTLY the same as my old one, just a different (newer?) model number. Before you buy a new toilet, you might want to see if there’s a similar model being produced with parts available that could be used on your current toilet.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 02:36 PM   #7

Your problem is with the water supply valve. To replace the valve is easy. If you opt to replace the toilet, then you have to measure the clearance to the wall from the flange. If you are off, the toilet will hit the wall and not fit. A lot of people add a shut off valve prior to the water inlet for the toilet as well. You will need proper ratcheting crimper, crimps and the 1/2 inch diameter PEX blue water line, and the valve as well. A new toilet seal should come with the toilet. It is not the same as the wax ring for home toilets.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
As others have said...it is the water valve that is the problem. This is very common. Should be a 5 minute change if you can obtain one.

I'm waiting on the part for mine right now.

Old 01-24-2023, 08:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekuiper View Post
As others have said...it is the water valve that is the problem ...
What diameter size is this hose?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230124-205328_Gallery.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	384982  
Old 01-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #10

I found parts for my toilet on Amazon, once I determined make and model. You really don’t need to replace the whole toilet unless you really want to.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #11

Some replace the valve with the same valve with a spray wand as well. Some also add a shutoff valve as well. That way you can shut off the water without turning off the entire coach. You may think you will never need to do that, but Murphy may bite you at some point, and you will wish you had. Then again you may not have a wife carbon unit to keep happy.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
... Some also add a shutoff valve as well. That way you can shut off the water without turning off the entire coach ...
That's what I was thinking about doing.

I wanted to know what the diameter of that hose is, so I can get the correct size valve.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
That's what I was thinking about doing.

I wanted to know what the diameter of that hose is, so I can get the correct size valve.

I’d suggest picking up a pair of calipers to measure it. Something like these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:22 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
It sounds like a leaking water valve which is really easy to replace as long as you can gain access to it. The previous owner of our motorhome ignored a leaking valve and we ended up having to replace the spring cartridge as well. The key is being able to access all the components without trying to stand on your head. I ended up just removing the toilet and doing the repairs in the garage.

Tags
leak, toilet