Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

toilet seal leaks

How do you stop the water from running out the toilet seal?
ilafe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tighten the toilet bolts (1 on ea side ) if that doesn't work unbolt it and check the seal /replace it with a new one. If you talking about the base seal and if the blade seal and water draining from the bowl is what you are talking about it's probably dry and cracked and it to can be replaced.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #3

Sometimes toilet paper will get stuck in the blade seal preventing it from closing all the way. use a toilet brush while it is flushing and run it around the seal area. I put a little mineral oil in mine when not in use this keeps the seal soft.

Jim
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Spray the seal with 303 after it's been dried. I do mine about once a month when it starts to leak water. I usually let the 303 sit on the seal over night when possible. Been doing this for almost 5 years with success.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #5

We have the Sealand Traveler type toilet with a ball valve and do what BigSkyBob recommends, using the 303 Aerospace Protectant on the seal. It seems to work. OK. I always keep some water in the bowl which also seems to help.

Good luck with getting yours fixed...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #6

Seal

We took ours to dealer to have it worked on. He did get it working but now the bowl won't hold water. When I called them they told me that the seal ring gasket had broken and they couldn't get a new one. They were so "kind"?? and told me a new stool would cost $1000 but they woul put it in free??! [moderator edit]
FLYING BUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Damn Butch, how did you keep from punching him

I recently replaced all seals/gaskets and moving parts (everything except bowl and seat) in my Sealand Traveler for about $120. It took about 30 mins. That's my new toilet for $880 less
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

ilafe2: What brand/model of toilet do you have and are you talking about the seal that keeps water in the bowl, or the one that prevents leaks out onto the floor from underneath?

I put a new bowl flush seal in my Sealand Traveler a couple months ago - cost me $37 and 30 minutes of labor. Any RV shop worth their salt ought to be able to get new seals in 3-4 days, even if they have to order online from a retailer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandWanda View Post
Sometimes toilet paper will get stuck in the blade seal preventing it from closing all the way. use a toilet brush while it is flushing and run it around the seal area. I put a little mineral oil in mine when not in use this keeps the seal soft.

Jim
Thanks-Allegro Bus issue on toilet leak. Have tried many things but not mineral oil- will do, ilafe2
Old 10-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #10

Before you go ripping and tearing,
Put on your rubber gloves, turn off the water, step on the lever to open the ball and work your finger around the seal to make sure there is nothing such as toilet paper jammed in the seal lip.
If it is in fact a broken seal, as stated above, it is not an expensive fix to replace seals. A thousand bucks, can't belive it. These guys are either real stupid or down right crooked.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #11

Toilet seal

It is the. Seal that keeps water from leaking down the bowl after a flush. I have run a small brush all around the inside of the seal. Had the toilet paper issue before and sprayed with polish as reccomended but it won't hold water. It one of the top of the line Dometic model 3010 models. They had coach over two weeks t repair 4 small items service aqua hot, repair toilet to flush, services gererator, (which they forgot to do, had to bring back) and the slide was making a thumping noise when i brought it in and started driving. They told me a block was missing that was on top of slide and kept the slide from going in to far. No problem they could fabricate one. Picked the coach up. The top was leaning in so far the awning cover oner the slide was resting up against the body of the coach i tried to open the slide and it was so stuck I thought the stove was going to twist off the floor. Back out. Oh you need gaskets around the slide($1000) , I said it was working fine and I don't believe the gaskets age causing the slide to hang up. They "fixed it". Drove 350 miles and slide hangs up so bad if I keep applying the switch something is going the break all to hell. Guys sorry to ramble on and hijack this poor guys post but man am I pissed about this whole deal. Guy tried to tell me the block they made isn't working because of the gaskets? I'm going to tell him to look at the other slide. Same gaskets nd works fine never a problem.
FLYING BUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The only way I know to screwup a seal replacement, is by putting it in upside down. The seal has one side that's teflon and it must go against the ball.

When my 13 year old Sealand Traveler 511+ wouldn't hold water, I ordered a new seal. Then I took it all apart for inspection and cleaning. I noticed the ball had a lot of scratches on it. So I decided to replace that too as those scratches could contribute to leaking or even be the cause. Then I said this thing is so old, I'll just replace everything and be done with it. My point is, if your toilet won't water, a good inspection of the ball may save you some headaches.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilafe2 View Post
Thanks-Allegro Bus issue on toilet leak. Have tried many things but not mineral oil- will do, ilafe2

Mineral oil works great, thanks.

Tags
leaks, seal