Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

toilet smell

we have just bought a 2000 HR endeavor. the smell from the toilet is awful. we've used 2 different kinds of deodorizer and still the smell persists - and we mostly use the camp cans instead of the RV. do holding tanks need regular replacement? does anyone have any suggestions? the storage space that should have a washer/dryer is the worst. we use it as a closet instead. the pipes in there are capped. hopefully, someone will offer a solution.
cusiyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #3

No solution other than to check the vent pipes. W/D should go into the gray tank. Mine has gray tank vents under the 2 sinks. Good luck, hope you find the reason for the smell.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I'll bet that what you are smelling is the grey tank because that is where the pipes from the w/d go. And grey tanks can smell as bad, or worse, than the black tank! Usually this occurs when the pipe from the w/d is smaller than the receiving standpipe to the grey tank and it needs to be sealed off. Put a rotating vane on the grey tank vent up on the roof and I bet that will help. Also look to see if you have a vent located under the kitchen or bathroom sink that is design to help air flow into the grey tank and up the vent.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

I had exactly the same problem and it turned out to be a defective vacuum breaker at the drain where the washer/dryer go. I bought a replacement at Home Depot and the smell is gone.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had the same problem when purchasing our new to us 2003 Fleetwood Excursion especially bouncing along the highways returning home the first journey. As mentioned, the culprit was old bacteria in the p-traps since the coach sat for many months. Solution, "Happy Camper" an enzyme that used regularly in black and grey tanks solves the problem! Very simple to use, also you should use their black tank high tech cleaner which will blast your "stuff" off the walls of the black tank! This works!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the same problem when we bought a used allegro bus. The first thing we did was to pour some simple green in the toilet and flush it into the tank along with a couple of gallons of water. When we drove the bus we made sure that there was water in the tank and simple green so it could splash around. We bought one of the enzyme cleaners and put it in the tank when we were leaving the coach sitting. We opened up the bathroom window slightly and left the bathroom vent fan on to help pull out odors. When we heard about the method of putting ice in a coach while you are driving it to clean the walls. We did that. When we were at a campground with septic hook up our bus has a black tank flushing system and I would run water in that for about ten minutes then drain the tank. I would do that 4 or 5 times every time I drained the tank. It took a week and the smell decreased a lot. It took about 2 months to completely go away.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 AM   #8

This may sound silly, but it works. Put bags of ice cubes in both tanks next time you take a drive. Toilet and pull the shower drain screen for the grey water tank. Amazing how well that works with those things banging around. Not knowing your unit you may have to 'adjust' where you get these things into the system.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club

Here are 2 things that worked for us:

We replaced the fixed sewer vent on the roof with this one. An easy fix.

Then we installed a flush valve to both our tanks. We have access to the rear of our tanks on the opposite side of the wet bay. These valves are efficient for removing smell, and we are sure that our tanks are as clean as possible when we put the RV into storage. Fixing these valves was also an easy job.

When on the road we use the geo method. Here is an explanation from our RV friends Wheeling It.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From NH. I hope the above hints help you with your problem, some good suggestions there. Let us know if they help.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Turbo vents

Hello, click on my photo and zoom in on the roof and you will see what I put on my vents to curb oders from the tanks, I can say that they work,oders gone.
The best thing for both gray and black tanks is LOTS of water! keep them flushed out. Water,water........water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06284.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	44186  
Old 08-15-2013, 05:21 AM   #12

What is your model of toilet?

Is Your bathroom fan on when you flush?

Turbs
f1100turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #13

There may also be a connector near your sewer flushing valve (about eye level) for your water hose - it rinses your tank from the inside - if not there is a wand that you can buy that you insert into the toilet bowl (friend bought one at Canadian Tire) that also works - these methods also help with your tank level gauges. Good Luck
GrampaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
A cheap, easy cleaner for your tanks is about 1/2 cup Calgon water softener and 1/2 cup cheap powdered laundry detergent. The Calgon is a surfactant that allows the detergent to work, and it does.

Then some type of venturi or Cyclone roof vent to draw the odor out the top instead of into the coach.

We also had a loose vacuum breaker under the kitchen sink that never got screwed in tight by the factory. That contributed to some odors. Just a couple turns by hand and it now functions correctly.

http://cdn.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1295899922
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell