Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Toll tags going east

40’ MH 2 axels pulling toad.
We are going to travel from Texas to Maine in a few weeks.
After researching EZPASS I am confused. We have a TXTAG.
Now the question — What are my options for paying Tolls. Should I get an EZPASS? If so, anything I need to know about getting an EZPASS?
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Should be ok...

Either TX Tag or EZ Tag can be used on most toll roads across the country now. Same with Florida’s SunTag. There is an standardized agreement in place.

However, you should Google the toll road and verify that they honor it before you go through or just stop at the first toll booth and ask.

Happy Trails!
raeburn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #3

Unless something has changed very recently, the TXTag and EZ Tag are not compatible with EZ Pass and won't work in the northeast. Neither is the Toll Tag from Dallas nor the Oklahoma tag.

You can get an EZ Pass from any state that participates. I have mine through Illinois, even though I live in Wisconsin. I selected Illinois since they don't charge any monthly fee and the transponder is free. They call it an IPass but it's the same as an EZ Pass. http://getipass.com/
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
The EZ pass is free and so are other states transponders . If you do not have a transponder ( EZ Pass or other ) you pay by plate . Toll barrier takes a picture of your plate and mails you the due amount . There is an up charge for this and if you are not home to receive mail and remit toll charge late there is an upcharge also .
The EZ Pass system is simple and works well with no additional fees . You may be able to apply online or by phone .
Old 07-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranc View Post
The EZ pass is free and so are other states transponders . If you do not have a transponder ( EZ Pass or other ) you pay by plate . Toll barrier takes a picture of your plate and mails you the due amount . There is an up charge for this and if you are not home to receive mail and remit toll charge late there is an upcharge also .
The EZ Pass system is simple and works well with no additional fees . You may be able to apply online or by phone .
That depends on which state you get it from. I 'm in Ohio and use Delaware. No monthly rental, no minimum spend but you need a credit card on file so they can auto-replenish. Some states charge an extra fee if you don't use it enough each month.

I'll likely be getting a Florida E-PassXtra https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-xtra/ for the motorhome because ti will work with EZPass and Florida's SunPass.

FWIW,

Ray
Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
40’ MH 2 axels pulling toad.
We are going to travel from Texas to Maine in a few weeks.
After researching EZPASS I am confused. We have a TXTAG.
Now the question — What are my options for paying Tolls. Should I get an EZPASS? If so, anything I need to know about getting an EZPASS?

Yes get one for sure!! If going through the Chicago area get the Illinois Ipass it is simple to get and works in all places that accept EZpass. Can get it at first oasis or order it ahead of time. Some of the more Eastern states are more complicated if you use theirs. If if not going through there you still might want to get the Ipass.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
Yes get one for sure!! If going through the Chicago area get the Illinois Ipass it is simple to get and works in all places that accept EZpass. Can get it at first oasis or order it ahead of time. Some of the more Eastern states are more complicated if you use theirs. If if not going through there you still might want to get the Ipass.

Like I said earlier, the IPass is easy to get. You can do it entirely from the link I posted above.

Regardless of which tag you get, be sure to have enough funds on reserve with them to carry you through at least a full day of travel. Your balance will auto replenish, but sometimes the new funds are not available to use until the next day since their computers update overnight. Some of the toll roads/bridges are privately run and/or operated nowadays, and their systems are even slower to get the news about your updated account balance after an automatic update.

Once time we had this happen was on the Chicago Skyway bridge. I had gotten confirmation through email that my funds replenished that morning, but the system at the bridge didn't get the memo yet. I had to pay the full cash price.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is the link that explains the NC Quick Pass, You want the NC Quick Pass E-Z Pass Interior Transponder.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/resource...nsponders.aspx

The NC Quick Pass E-ZPass work on toll facilities in North Carolina, Florida (SunPass), Georgia (Peach Pass) and the following states where E-ZPass is accepted.

Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Illinois
Indiana
Kentucky
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Virginia
West Virginia
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #9

Thanks for all the info. Since we also travel to FL every year ill get one that covers it also.
Now to make a decision.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeburn2000 View Post
Either TX Tag or EZ Tag can be used on most toll roads across the country now. Same with Florida’s SunTag. There is an standardized agreement in place.
Nop. More web misinformation.
https://www.txtag.org/en/about/basics_howitworks.shtml

We've lived in Texas the last 32 years and the TX Tag is NOT recognized Nationwide. It's good for Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma.

So in your post, you're wanting to do exactly what we did this year. We left Texas the end of Feb., traveled to Maine for the summer going through many eastern and north eastern states. We are here now.

Back earlier this year I posted this same question you just did on how to get prepared for going thru tolls getting up here. Get all this done at least 2 weeks before you leave to get everything set up and receive your transponders in the mail.

What you need is a EZ-Pass. Go to the thread below—it's a long thread—but it will answer all your questions and clarify all the misinformation. I first chimed in on Post# 11 of the thread below to try to challenge and unravel all the different terms people use on this subject. It took a long time to actually get to the meat and the steps of what needs to be done.

So again, you need a EZ-Pass and by the time, especially towards the end of the thread below, I detail exactly how I ended up signing up, the costs, what to do with your acc't and transponders when you leave that area and won't back up for awhile etc, etc.

I'm not going to go into all the details here of all these different passes—so just start plowing through the thread below and it will cover all these details and differences
So our coach and toad are covered now no matter where we go and we now have 3 passes:
- TX EZ Tag to cover Texas, Kansas, and Oklahoma
- The Sun Pass to cover the areas the EZ-Pass doesn't cover
- The EZ-Pass which covers where you want to go up northeast

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-ez-pass-424737.html

BTW...We created two video's Part 1 and Part 2 of this 3 month, 2,400 trip from RGV to Maine if you'd like to get some tips, the terrain, campgrounds, POI's etc. You can see them both here in one of our playlists:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy4..._as=subscriber

Good Luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #11

We use the FUN option: no tollways, more scenic.
Saves me $140 just in PA, while I-80 is faster.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We ordered an EZPass through Ohio year before last when we went to New England. It saved us a ton of time and quite a bit of money over paying cash. We used it all the way through Ohio, New York, Maine, etc and there was only one state, I think Massachusets that did not recognize it and mailed us a bill. You have to put money up front, but once you are through with it you just mail it back and they refund any unused funds.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
X2 on post 8 above
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #14

I agree, I used the Illinois one several years ago on trip from CA to PA then south. No monthly fees.
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tags