Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #1

Too cold for water?

Newbie here, it’s been below freezing for a couple days, pretty sure the little bit of water left in the water heater is frozen. My question, it’s only going to get to mid 40s the day we leave. If I fill the freshwater tank, do I need to worry about ice in the heater if it doesn’t melt before I hook up water? Should I attach to city water hookup and run water through all the pipes first?
Any advice is appreciated
Pogo929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #2

If your water heater is frozen, it’s very likely the rest or parts of the rest of your plumbing system is frozen.

If frozen, it will take longer for your water heater to thaw than the rest of your piping.

If you can get freshwater to start flowing, watch carefully for any ruptures in the piping and fittings. Inspect each and every one with hose pressure applied.

Compromised (by having been frozen) hose to fitting connections don’t usually just drip, but again, inspect carefully so as to minimize/eliminate water damage.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Should I attach to city water hookup and run water through all the pipes first?
Any advice is appreciated
That's what I would do. I'm guessing you are referring to a very small amount of water left at the bottom of the tank after you drained it correct? As the water fills the hot water tank, the ice will melt.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 06:59 AM   #4

You better turn on your heat and warm everything up.
Run the water see if it leaks anywhere
You might have broken water lines.
That would be bad.
My old saying The day you have frozen RV water lines is the day you cry
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
That's what I would do. I'm guessing you are referring to a very small amount of water left at the bottom of the tank after you drained it correct? As the water fills the hot water tank, the ice will melt.

X2 on that although I might add to bypass the water htr with your city water valve and flush out any pink stuff throughout the lines first before filling the water htr. If you don’t you may push some pink into the wtr htr.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #6

The small amount of water remaining in the heater is of no consequence when it freezes, just like the small amount of water remaining in the fresh water tank. The large surface area compared to depth allow ice formation to "hump-up" in the middle instead of expanding sideways.
If you fill your fresh water tank and heater tank with water when outside temperature is above freezing, it will thaw the small amount of ice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree totally with Ray - no worries about the residual water in the tank. Whether you have other things frozen is a separate question.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

Just emerged from a couple weeks of below freezing temps while living in the RV. I had purposely left water in the tank because I was plugged in with the electrical element on. I did drain and blow the lines before I left for 35 days. Many of which were below freezing. I left the heat on at 40*F.

I agree with others that the small amount of water in the bottom of the tank, frozen, won't likely hurt the tank. And I've found from many years of tempting fate during cold snaps, that the piping and fittings of my '02 Winnebago seem to be well made. I know that milky white PEX is made to withstand freezing and my experience seems to support that.

Back to the question at hand. Use the 'tell-tail' of your water pump to alert you to any leaks. Add water to your tank, disconnect shore water if connected, then flip on the pump. After it comes up to pressure, and stops running, and you've run some water from every faucet and shower so there's no air in the system, just listen for a few hours. If the pump repeatedly runs, you have a leak. It should stay at or near pressure for many hours without running (unless you use the water of course). When I go somewhere or go to bed, I always turn it off to be safe, but right now, I'm confident there's no leaks even after two weeks of sub zero temps. I did have a trouble light and a personal heater running in the web bay too but I was without water for much of that time.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water