Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Too much research, but down to 3 models

We are narrowed down to 2013/14 Allegro 36LA and 2011 Canyon Star 3856 and the 2015 Outlaw 38RE (party deck not toy hauler)
All 3 have qualities that are +/- over each other.
Love to hear comparison, since I am sure I've missed something in my research. 😵
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 3 listed RV's are rather different, so only you, the buyer, would be able to pick...that is all that really matters.

But...the Outlaw 38RE offers some things that no other RV has and several elements only in custom mega-coach models. Because of this, if we wanted a conventional RV (not toy hauler) the Outlaw Residence Edition would be our first choice because:
-Bath and a half (standard)
-King sized bed (standard)
-9 foot tall vaulted ceiling in the master suite and bath, with ceiling fan.
-Dedicated aircon in master suite (standard) separate from dual ducted rooftops
-Rear Fiesta Deck with railing and stairway (industry exclusive) and patio awning.
-Rear Patio Kitchen (wetbar and portable grill) with big screen TV (industry exclusive)
-Residential Fridge (standard)
-8,000lb hitch receiver (2015.5 and later models)
-Ready Camp wireless remote (control Slide, Jacks and power Awning from anywhere around the RV).
-Front/overhead drop down electric bunk (standard)
-Electric fireplace with heat element (option)

For anyone saying "WHAT? Never heard of all that in a RV!"...see:
https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/floorplans/

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

I would like to see the actual loaded axle weights of the 38RE. If it is close to the 26,000# GVW, what good is an 8,000# hitch with only 4,000# towing capacity? Just wondering???
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be clear...the hitch rating is a Class III plus = 8,000lb pull and 500lb on the ball capacity (individual axle weights will not be that important).
See: https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/features/

The Ford F53 used for all current build Outlaw's has the GVWR of 26,000lb and the GCWR of 30,000lb.
So for tow-ability, there's half of the 8,000lb.

Then the UVW of these floorplans runs right around 20,000lb...each rig is weighed and of course if slightly different.

So -IF- towing the full 8,000lb, the owner would still have 2,000lb for their stuff inside the RV and be within limits.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #5

Congrats on getting it down to three - that is a milestone in itself!

If you have not done so, before laying out serious coin, spend a bit more up front and research these three on:

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs

It is one of the more impartial, and most users find the conclusions and ratings to be deserved and fair.

That being said, I had Newmar models on my short list, both Dutch Star and Mountain Air, with my emphasis being on Mountain Air from the Newmar line. But prior to making a decision to go to DP, instead of an intermediate purchase of a different gas model, I also had the Mountain Air gasser towards the top of my short list then.

If you like all three, and all three will server your needs. Focus on which of the three has the best build techniques, quality of assembly, and quality of materials - as over period of time, these will make a difference in your satisfaction.

And as already mentioned, only you can decide if one of these three fits your need more then the others - it really does come down personal choice. If you find that the one that meets your needs the most, may not have a good of construction or quality of materials and assembly - then you can decide if the things you like about it, outweigh the lower standards against the others.

Best of luck to you on your decision!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
To be clear...the hitch rating is a Class III plus = 8,000lb pull and 500lb on the ball capacity (individual axle weights will not be that important).
See: https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-a/features/

The Ford F53 used for all current build Outlaw's has the GVWR of 26,000lb and the GCWR of 30,000lb.
So for tow-ability, there's half of the 8,000lb.

Then the UVW of these floorplans runs right around 20,000lb...each rig is weighed and of course if slightly different.

So -IF- towing the full 8,000lb, the owner would still have 2,000lb for their stuff inside the RV and be within limits.

Safe travels
Individual axle weights can be very important. Just because the brochure states xxxxx# of cargo capacity, doesn't mean you can actually carry that amount. What are the axle ratings? What does each axle weigh when loaded with full fuel, water, food, clothing, and other essential items? if an axle is overweight, can the load be shifted to get it right? It might be fine on all three of the coaches the OP is considering, but far too often the weight distribution on motor homes is such that the full cargo rating can not be used due to one axle exceeding it's rating. Just ask the 2016 Dutch Star owners how they like their over loaded front axles. Better to make loading and load balance a priority when selecting a new MH than to find out later that you can not travel with full water or fuel. Unfortunately, many sales people do not have a clue as what you're talking about when you ask about load balance, but answer that it's fine.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Individual axle load could be an issue -IF- loading an RV to the max GVWR - very true.
But, unlike the 2016 Dutch Star's current problem, RV's of this style are not rolling off the factory floor near their GVWR at UVW and do not include a Tag axle impacting the loads on the other 2 axles.

The description was about using the full 8,000lb of the hitch capacity.

-IF- the owner of a RV wanted to use the max towing capacity, they would need to take the GCWR and work backwards to their trailer weight.

For the 38RE, that would be a loaded weight of 22,000LB (4,000lb under the GVWR)...and not exceed 500lb on the ball. Very doable if care is taken on the trailer loading.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

[Mod Edit]
My vote would be the Allegro or the Canyon Star. Not really impressed with the quality of an Outlaw. Just my humble opinion.

Randy W
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
[Mod Edit] My vote would be the Allegro or the Canyon Star. Not really impressed with the quality of an Outlaw. Just my humble opinion.

Randy W
[Mod Edit]
I was impressed with the 38RE floor plan, but have seen axles overloaded and was just bringing up an important concern that he and everyone should be aware of.