Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #71

This is the inverter generator that I have been looking at with good reviews: https://amzn.to/2RuIzbF It's at least half the price of a Honda.

I have a smaller Champion 2000 watt inverter generator and it has been a good generator as long as like with most generators I stay away from the ethanol. Also the oil needs to be changed about every 50 hours of use on a portable generator.

Generators are not cheap to run. You could use $10 to $15 in gas a day or two for charging batteries. An older generator is less efficient and uses more gas per kw that an newer one. If you plan charge the batteries from the existing RV 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC power converter, see what the charging amperage is to the batteries. If output from the converter is only like 8 to 10 amps, it will take a long time to charge a battery set and your generator will use a lot of gas. It would be nice to have 45 amps for more for charging batteries.
dannonebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #72

I stayed in a place that would not let anything over 10 years old stay there. My camper was pretty new at the time and I did not see that clause until I was set up, but I vowed to never stay there again. Camper age has nothing to do with the quality of the customer.
upbobret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #73

I can sure see the need for restrictions in parks having been placed in sites beside Cousin Eddy a couple times. When you have a significant investment in a MH or camper you really do care about what might happen in tight quarters. In the area we live in Camper and MH fires are quite common with several every year. Many if not almost all of them due to human tampering of systems or smoking and so on. A few have been from fire pits and so on. Anyway this type behavior cost all of us and I will avoid it when possible.

We don't seek out 10 year parks but sure will never shy away from them. It is just like your home neighborhood, you really want to keep in it kind and to the scale that fits the vast majority.

Some campers and MH's will feel better and be at home in the long term rental parks. That said if a unit is maintained meticulously then there is no reason to not have it in any park and that is the rule so far of all we have stayed in.

This type thread goes around every 6 months and gets about the same response and I suspect it will be going around 10 years from now when a number of campers and MH's are in the salvage yards and we have a bunch of new folks on IRV2
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
I can sure see the need for restrictions in parks having been placed in sites beside Cousin Eddy a couple times. When you have a significant investment in a MH or camper you really do care about what might happen in tight quarters. In the area we live in Camper and MH fires are quite common with several every year. Many if not almost all of them due to human tampering of systems or smoking and so on. A few have been from fire pits and so on. Anyway this type behavior cost all of us and I will avoid it when possible.

We don't seek out 10 year parks but sure will never shy away from them. It is just like your home neighborhood, you really want to keep in it kind and to the scale that fits the vast majority.

Some campers and MH's will feel better and be at home in the long term rental parks. That said if a unit is maintained meticulously then there is no reason to not have it in any park and that is the rule so far of all we have stayed in.

This type thread goes around every 6 months and gets about the same response and I suspect it will be going around 10 years from now when a number of campers and MH's are in the salvage yards and we have a bunch of new folks on IRV2
Yup
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:48 PM   #75

Another "OP has gone AWOL, again" thread.

Hope they got things solved.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 PM   #76

The OP had many very serious issues to overcome, And 0 financial resources.
At the time of his original post he stated how cold it was. And no heat source.

Most recommendations were how to spend $$$s
The he obviously doesnt have.

Yes
I hope that they are safe.
And that they are figuring things out.
They needed to boondock free.
Even a good deal at a military base campsite was beyond their $$$ capabilities.

An infusion of big $$$$$s is needed
Solar is expensive and only a dream at this point. For then.
No $$$s to repair nor buy a generator.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:03 PM   #77

I usually get a little ridicule from my replies, but as no one else, in 6 pages, has brought this up, 'she' needs to get a job. On her profile, she appears to be late 20's to 30's; no reason not to be employed. Ten hours a week just doesn't make a productive member of society. That, plus a disabled 'partner' leaves no room for not working. If the partner was actually disabled while in the army, that person would receive a disability separation, and would be getting a monthly check. If 100% disabled, they get 100% of their full pay, untaxable. They don't have to apply for it. Older soldiers, like myself, that succumb to disabilities later in life, as a result of military service, must apply. The partner of this young girl could not be old enough for that. Anyway, get a real, full time job before you try to live the leisurely life style.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by clev View Post
I usually get a little ridicule from my replies, but as no one else, in 6 pages, has brought this up, 'she' needs to get a job. On her profile, she appears to be late 20's to 30's; no reason not to be employed. Ten hours a week just doesn't make a productive member of society. That, plus a disabled 'partner' leaves no room for not working. If the partner was actually disabled while in the army, that person would receive a disability separation, and would be getting a monthly check. If 100% disabled, they get 100% of their full pay, untaxable. They don't have to apply for it. Older soldiers, like myself, that succumb to disabilities later in life, as a result of military service, must apply. The partner of this young girl could not be old enough for that. Anyway, get a real, full time job before you try to live the leisurely life style.
WOW!
A lot of assumptions on your part. It may be that replies like this are why the PO has disappeared. I don't know you, you don't know me, or the OP. You or I cannot , or should not make statements about anyone that we know very little about.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Just a *little* ridicule? That surprises me.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #80

The only assumption that I made was her age, based on her picture. The information on military disability was fact, based on my 20 year retiree status and being 100% disabled. I think my advice was more beneficial than advising her to spend money on modifications, when she has limited funds and a part time, minimum wage job. Most people today cannot handle the truth.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 08:17 AM   #81

If your coach is shiny and in good condition, tell them it's a 2009 or 20012. Most of them have no idea except by site and looks. My buddy does it all the time, or says, my wife does all the paper, I don't know
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
Sounds like you are trying to live in a piece of junk to save some money but it is going too cost more than you thought?
Quote:
The only assumption that I made was her age, based on her picture. The information on military disability was fact, based on my 20 year retiree status and being 100% disabled. I think my advice was more beneficial than advising her to spend money on modifications, when she has limited funds and a part time, minimum wage job. Most people today cannot handle the truth.
I thought I was giving the truth back on post 16.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote