Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok I'm guilty of carrying too many tools. I have used them more to help other RVrs with their repairs on the road or at camp. Most of you will say it's overkill and unnecessary weight. sure, makes me feel better. I carry all tools needed to change a tire including air compressor, jacks and torque wrench. Full 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 socket sets. Full end wrench sets 1/8 to 1-1/4. Air and cordless impacts, jacks (two 20 ton), Assortment of hand tools and meters. Sealants, lubricants and RV related supplies. I will not pass you by if your broken down on the side of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220828_175516[367].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	374854   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220828_175526[366].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	374855  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2022, 08:03 PM   #72

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
A normal top box would be ideal for an rv with one exception. Every top box I encounter needs the lid to be openned to release the drawer locks. When it’s sitting in a basement bay I don’t have the vertical clearance to open the lid and I am certainly not pulling it out. I know at one point snap on had a road box that you didn’t need to open the top to use. The new version on their website needs the top open.

If anyone has the older version I would gladly purchase it and pay the shipping.
A little operation can fix that, but then the drawers will come open all the time.

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #73

Perfect size waterproof toolbox DeWalt DWST28001

DeWalt DWST28001 Structural Foam Water Seal Plastic Tool Box,Black,28" x 12-3/4" x 11-5/8" https://a.co/d/6HrcFjF
srfdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:15 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Ok I'm guilty of carrying too many tools. I have used them more to help other RVrs with their repairs on the road or at camp. Most of you will say it's overkill and unnecessary weight. sure, makes me feel better. I carry all tools needed to change a tire including air compressor, jacks and torque wrench. Full 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 socket sets. Full end wrench sets 1/8 to 1-1/4. Air and cordless impacts, jacks (two 20 ton), Assortment of hand tools and meters. Sealants, lubricants and RV related supplies. I will not pass you by if your broken down on the side of the road.

Two 20 tons jacks, do you really use them? Lol, I am having a blast seeing rv'ers on what they carry, great.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 02:18 AM   #75

The DW won this for me at a car show and fits very well in a small compartment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8F877C46-766D-4931-9D6C-68A487C41AB4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	374866  
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #76

Since we're full time, we believe in being prepared so the door side basement is pretty much a rolling shop. I've got an 8 gallon 160psi compressor with 100' of hose, full compliment of air tools, 1/2 cordless impact, circ saw, jig saw, multi-purpose tool, pneumatic brad nailer, 6" DA polisher, 7" rotary polisher, 2 jacks and jackstands and a 110v wire feed welder. The second bay has 3 plastic drawer bins that hold all my chemicals and some misc. stuff. 3rd bay is for plastic tubs divided into soldering, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, extra towd parts.
BTW, that's not me in the pic, She's a very good friend and a pretty fair mechanic in her own right. We were borrowing her mom's driveway so I could replace the trans output shaft seal that was leaking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tools.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	374871   Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	374872  

Patrick 8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #77

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick 8200 View Post
Since we're full time, we believe in being prepared so the door side basement is pretty much a rolling shop. I've got an 8 gallon 160psi compressor with 100' of hose, full compliment of air tools, 1/2 cordless impact, circ saw, jig saw, multi-purpose tool, pneumatic brad nailer, 6" DA polisher, 7" rotary polisher, 2 jacks and jackstands and a 110v wire feed welder. The second bay has 3 plastic drawer bins that hold all my chemicals and some misc. stuff. 3rd bay is for plastic tubs divided into soldering, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, extra towd parts.
BTW, that's not me in the pic, She's a very good friend and a pretty fair mechanic in her own right. We were borrowing her mom's driveway so I could replace the trans output shaft seal that was leaking.
Is than an RV or a mobile repair shop? Where’s the camp chairs and grill?
Koplitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:30 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
My tools are divided into three groups. One most frequently used tools, another for less frequently tools and third for seldom used tools. That way the weight of any one box is not too much to pick up and carry to where I'm working.

I do nearly all of my own service and maintenance. While working on the RV at home I try to use what's in the boxes. If I need something more I'll grab it out of my shop and perhaps buy another one for the RV. I don't even carry full sets of sockets and wrenches. Many of those sizes are not even used on my RVs, a 5th wheeler and a MH. Each has it's own tool sets as each has unique needs. I carry what I need and know how to use.

This was not part of the OP's question, but I'll include my tool list.

Tool List

I do all/most of my own maintenance and service on my 5th wheeler and the motor home. While working on a rig at home I try perform these functions out of my on-board toolbox, if I’m short something it will probably get added. I’m one of those guys that never met a tool I didn’t like, so my shop is well stocked. I carry what I think I’d need on the road for most things. We are not full timers, so optional maintenance may get deferred until we get home with full shop access.

What YOU carry needs to reflect your ability and skill level at various tasks. For some people this list condenses down to a credit card and cell phone. If that works for you, then use that solution. Also at play is where do you travel and camp and how long you’re on the road. If you truly boondock verses staying at full service sites you may have different needs. A full timer’s needs would be very different from weekend campers. Those in the middle who travel for weeks/months at a time have still different needs. This is simply my list. I have similar lists for hookup stuff and emergency equipment.

Multi bit screw driver with a wide assortment of special bits, including security bits
Basic dedicated screwdrivers, square drive, Phillips, straight, etc.
Miniature screw driver set with large bit assortment
Most of a Lowes pliers set, left a few things behind
6, 8 & 10 in. adjustable wrenches
8” vise grip pliers
Both 3/8” SAE and metric socket sets, my rig needs both
Both 3/8” SAE and metric combination wrenches
A combination set of ¼” SAE and metric sockets
Medium ball pin hammer
Wire strippers and crimpers
Allen head wrench sets
Tape measure
Dermal tool with assorted bits and cutters
PEX hose cutter and crimper for steel PEX bands
Caulk gun
Grease guns, small and standard
14” pry bar, use to do the last inch of lift when changing tires, makes life easy (never had a flat)
Digital multimeter
Both AC and DC ampmeters, the DC unit should be able to measure low amperage
ODB II scanner with live display
Infrared thermometer
Digital tire gauge and an analog tire gauge
Hydrometer, best if temperature compensated
Turkey basting tube for adding battery water
Propane gas sensor
Battery internal resistance meter
Torque wrenches, I check my trailer wheel lugs every morning along with tire pressures
Four-way tire tool
Long ½” breaker bar with another 30” pipe cheater
12 ton jack
Cordless drill with charger & matching work light
Odd assortment of items used to change a wheel bearing
Utility knife & razor scraper plus spare blades
Small mirror
Telescoping magente for small part pick up
Utility razor knife with spare blades
LED flashlight in toolbox and in each compartment
Snap ring pliers, inside & outside
I use a CO2 system to inflate tires instead of a compressor, I frequently do not have 110v power for a larger compressor
Air blow gun and a extension blow gun (up to 22”) tire inflator
Hand held propane detector
Sewer line wrenches, plastic
Sewer drain plug wrench, plastic
Window wiper, for windows and solar panels
Spark plug socket for the geny
Hacksaw & spare blades
Small wood saw
Jumpers cables
A two step stool to clean the windshield and other tasks
And what ever I can’t recall

As for supplies and spare parts:
Full set of fuses
Spare bulbs
Electrical, duct, Eternabond, Teflon tape & awning tape
Spark plug, filters and oil for generator
Crimp ends for wires, custom selected for wires on-board
Spare length of 12Ga. Wire
Cable ties
Spare wheel bearings, race, seals, etc.
Bearing grease
Grease gun and extra grease for suspension bolts
Propane pipe joint compound (the yellow stuff)
Disposable gloves, 5 & 9 mil weights
Leather work gloves
Nitrile gloves, in light and heavy weights
5 x 7 ft plastic tarp, those free ones from Harbor Freight
Rags
Silicone spray
WD40 (this is not a lube)
Boeshield T-9 (this is a great lube)
Spare PEX fittings and PEX clamps (includes PEX end caps) & short length(s) of PEX pipe
Spare sewer hose seals for the ends of the fittings
Assortment of screws
Roof repair materials
Caulk, Proflex for outside and latex for interior
Superglue, epoxy, Gorilla glue
Thread lock
Butyl tape
C-clips for compartment door latches
Dicor self leveling sealant
Brake fluid for the trailer’s disk brakes
Spare rubber brake line and misc. parts
Distilled water for batteries
Washers for water hose, spare wire mesh filter for the city water connection
Spare water filters for whole house filter
Manuals for everything I’ve found manuals for
Hand cleaner
Windex
Roll of paper towels
Other things I can’t think of sitting here

Not really tools or supplies:
30 ft sewer line
60 ft water line, 300 PSI
Portable water filter for filling fresh water tank
50 & 30 Amp primary shore power cables, twist-on connector required for trailer end. Normally I only use the 30 amp cables
50 & 30 Amp extension cables
Assorted power cable adapters, from and to combinations for almost anything
Outlet receptacle tester and circuit analyzer can be used with 30 & 50 amp adapters prior to plugging into shore power. The built-in EMS does the real job.
20 ft remote switch setup to bleed the disk brakes
25 ft coax TV cable with coax wrench and female to female adapter, needed in a few places
Sewer drain height adapters, used when sewer drain is in a sunken concrete pad, just take male and female threaded by slip joint ABS connectors and join them on the slip joint, very simple if one side is street type connector. Both 3 & 4” sizes
Macerator pump and dedicated hose segments, on some trips
42 gal. Barker waste water tote, with short sewer hose adapters as required, on some trips
60 gal water bladder with 12 volt water pump configured with hose fittings to refill fresh water tank, on some trips
Traffic cones
Safety Triangles, LED lighted
Safety vests for DW and myself
Heavy duty tire plug kit, lives in truck

I carry this stuff in four places, a regular plastic toolbox for the most used things, another box for the cordless stuff, another plastic box for rarely used tools and a large plastic tub for the spare parts. Small parts live in an assortment of plastic part boxes from Home Depot. I have avoided buying those assortment kits of parts. I select only the sizes and types that are actually used in my rig and in quantities that might be needed. With exception of wheel bearings I’ve used most of the stuff at some point or another.

This is a great list. Thanks

I've been looking at either CO2 or a small compressor (eelctric) for tires or small air tools. I've used CO2 with my Jeep, however I find the tire pressure doesn't hold. Do you have the same experience with your rig?

Thanks,
Jillsogw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
KingKid-

I carried a Sears 6500 toolbox (link here) and a battery-powered drill, either in a hard case or a soft bag. The toolbox, with tools, weighs about the same in pounds as its age- 45 years.

That was my second tool box. About 35 years ago I started using it for plumbing tools.

In my Campers I use canvas tool bags. With the MH I added a second bag.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
two tool boxes plus other items

I carry two tool boxes. My smaller one is for commonly needed tools for work inside my RV like screwdrivers, pliers, cable ties, extension magnet, a knife, small wrenches, tape, etc. My larger one adds commonly used tools for work outside like open end wrenches, half inch sockets, longer cable ties, larger pliers and wrenches, hack saw, etc. Separate tools include socket sets, drill, jig way, torque wrench, various chemicals (lubricants, contact cleaner, boiler antifreeze), meter, etc.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #81

I read Fred's list and although my tool boxes are not as thorough as his I also sort them as to most used, etc. I also carry an assortment of zip ties, up to 24" - from light duty to "Hulk" duty. We've only had a motor home for 10 years, but the multi-meters have been used more than most of the other tools. I've always carried a pancake air compressor. Never used it on my stuff, but frequently on other people's boat trailer/camper tires. I check my MH tires every time it leaves home - 7 or 8 times per summer.
Tbroeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #82

Tool Box

I replaced the pegboard over the passenger side water compartment with a 1/8" plywood sheet and made screw holes, etc. to get more density. To get access to the right side of the holding tanks for "stuff' I moved the fresh tank overflow hose to in front of the tank. There is a 2 x 2 frame for the tool board. I place a thin sheet of aluminum on top the fresh tank to protect if from the drawer sliding on it.

More photos of the project available if you contact me direct.

Skip 2000 DSDP Spartan
Skiphk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #83

Quote:
KingKid-

I carried a Sears 6500 toolbox (link here) and a battery-powered drill, either in a hard case or a soft bag. The toolbox, with tools, weighs about the same in pounds as its age- 45 years.

I carry the same box. Mine was a Xmas present in the early nineties.
LS-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 01:58 PM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
KingKid-

I had a tool box like that also. Bought it in 1971 when I started work as a truck mechanic. It didn't take long to realize it was much too small. I guess it's still somewhere at the family farm. I hadn't thought about it for many years.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome