Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
I found these on clearance when Lowes bought out Craftsman.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolbox.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	374998  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2022, 11:59 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I carry one like this. It has room for the basic tools I might need and the top of the box, holds a drill, soldering gun and spare parts. I have some specialty tools, like a 1.5" wrench for my slide. It is stuffed to the top in each drawer and upper box.

I'm pretty handy and can fix most things. This box carries enough tools to do that. I do carry a couple of plastic Harbor Freight boxes with dividers for small parts. Every couple of years I toss stuff I've never needed. Some parts I carry will no longer work on my current coach, so they get taken out.

My coach has a 3/4 slide that only exits the passenger side and is not under a slide. I have the toolbox in that slide tray so it's easy to pull out and access. I can even pull up a chair and do work there, like a work bench.

Attachment 374421

I have the same box. Fits perfectly in my slide out tray, use it for mechanics tools, and a regular open style toolbox for larger house tools.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #101

That’s about what I carry. Sometimes I think I take too many tools… then I think…”what if I break down in the middle of nowhere?”… I’ve never used some of the stuff I take with me, and it all adds some weight, but, who knows, I might need it next trip…🤔
Michael57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:32 PM   #102

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid View Post
Okay guys, I have a question about what kind of toolbox that you carry and although it seems simple, I would like to know your setup. I have been carrying a big toolbox when I was towing my TT and my 5th wheel in the back of my truck so since I just recently bought a new MH I would like to get some ideal. The toolbox that I have is big and heavy so I want to get something a little less if I can.

I was thinking on just buying a small toolbox and add some of the tools that I think that I will need or just get one of those toolboxes that have everything in it, like one of those tools hard case. Let me know your thoughts?
Hardest thing I had to do going full time other than giving up all our cherished stuff was narrowing down tools to carry. I narrowed it down to five containers until my son-in-law helped me take it down to a tool bag and a plastic container (https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...bag-58572.html). I kept most tools on a peg board over the work bench and a metal 2 drawer tool box which my friend who turned wrenches for a living used to call my “little red tool box”. I felt it was too heavy for the motorhome.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerdog View Post
Hardest thing I had to do going full time other than giving up all our cherished stuff was narrowing down tools to carry. I narrowed it down to five containers until my son-in-law helped me take it down to a tool bag and a plastic container (https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...bag-58572.html). I kept most tools on a peg board over the work bench and a metal 2 drawer tool box which my friend who turned wrenches for a living used to call my “little red tool box”. I felt it was too heavy for the motorhome.

And I was just there to HF today taking back some moving blanket and I bought a set on impact socket, (don't tell the wife) she is not a fan of HF, lol. I see that some of you guys have the DP and are able to install the slider tray in your storage, in my gas MH I don't have that long pass through I'm not sure if I can get away with putting a lot of weight in the floor of my storage.
KingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #104

It's hard to take every tool you would possibly need, so I just have in our motorhome an average sized tool box to carry the essentials -- hammer, a few different sizes and types of screwdrivers, electrical tape, fuses, pliers, etc. -- the basics to repair minor things in and around the motorhome. Since we always, when traveling, tow our jeep, I put in the back of the jeep a few extras, such as drills, socket sets, etc. that I have around the house that I use there. Then, when we get home, I take these out and put back in my shop for use there.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:33 PM   #105

Toolbox for your Motorhome

The absolute best (for me) purchase I ever made regarding tools for the MH is one of these. I got tired of running back and forth to drawered toolboxes, so I tried just using a tool bag and spent too much time digging for stuff.
Over the years I’ve tried all different methods of keeping tools in vehicles, from regular small snapon top boxes to a fancy handled MAC toolbox with a multi-level fold out lid similar to a tackle box (became too heavy to grab).
Now I have the tool roll which has the exact amount of separate pockets to find stuff easy. Screwdrivers, pliers (includes stripper and reversible snap ring), std wrenches 1/4 - 1”, metric wrenches, std sockets, metric sockets, 3/8” ratchet and extensions, all in one kit that I grab and take where I’m working. I have separate regular tool bags for Hitch/towbar stuff, Rechargeable drivers and drills with a drill driver bit set, and a clean tool bag for cooking/grilling stuff that’s in a different compartment. The only thing I plan to add is a bag with a set of 1/2” drive sockets etc and Electric impact.
Also have a flat electrical organizer tray and hardware tray (bolts nut screws washers). I’ve found the little drawer organizers are too hard to find stuff quickly.

I labeled all the pouches within the roll with a sharpie.
This thing is so handy when working outside, I find myself opening up the rv to grab it even though my service truck has a full set of tools, and I have fully stocked Snapon tool cabinets in the shop.

Rugged Tools Titan Deluxe Tool Roll https://a.co/d/f6fFBUm
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:48 PM   #106

I have a 14 inch Harbor Freight tool bag. With tools, it weighs about 16 pounds. In addition. I have both SAE and metric open end/ box end wrenches- 1/4" to 1 inch and 6mm to 20mm. I just bought a cordless battery operated Craftsman soldering iron that I love. I also carry a Harbor Freight digital temperature sensor for wheel temp.
Old 08-31-2022, 05:50 PM   #107

No pliers?
Old 08-31-2022, 07:09 PM   #108

Thank you guys for sharing your setup.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:17 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Oh jeez! I looked at that and wondered "how did you get my toolbox???"

That's exactly what I used to carry. Bought it I believe in either 1968 or 69 (back when it seemed that everybody had Craftsman tools) ...so mine's over 50 years old!! ...and I did carry it in all my motorhomes as well as several lighter weight totes for some tools. I still have that old toolbox somewhere in my garage.

I have one also. It currently is a bolt and nut catch all. My girlfriend’s Grandmother gave it and a set of Buffalo hand wrenches to me as a graduation gift in 1978.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #110

So what kind of power tools do you guys go with, do you just go to HF and pick them up or Homedepot?
Old 09-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #111

Toolbox for your Motorhome

I’ve been buying Bosch stuff only because I already had a Bosche jobsite bluetooth radio. Never had a problem any if it.
Guys I work with swear by Milwaukee but they are probably the most expensive. I would stay away from the cheaper stuff that Harbor Freight sells. Lowe’s carries Bosch. If I was starting over I might go with Milwaukee or Rigid from Home Depot.
Pick a mainline manufacturer that has a large selection of different power tools and stay with it so all your batteries interchange.

Most of it can be bought on Amazon
Old 09-01-2022, 10:19 AM   #112

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKid View Post
So what kind of power tools do you guys go with, do you just go to HF and pick them up or Homedepot?
For cordless I have DeWalt, but there are others that are good also. The important thing is to find a make you can get locally and stick to it. Batteries that interchange is really handy.

I like my DeWalts because they have many different sizes of the 20 volt batteries. ( various AH rates)

Makita and Bosch are also good.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, motorhome