Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tools?

Surely somebody has put together a must have tool list. I'm pretty handy and can sort of guess some of what I ought to bring, but as always others experience can be invaluable.
Of course theres the emergency road side stuff. But what else do people carry? Am I being too much of a boy scout here
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #2

I started with a few tools but inevitably needed what I didn't bring and would end up buying a cheap tool on the road. Now I bring all my mechanics tools along with a portable drill/bit driver, drill bits, scissors jack for lifting jacks, multi-meter, OBD II scanner, and temperature gun. Maybe too much but so far I have been pretty self sufficient on the road.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

start looking around your rv, inside and out and figure out what tool you need for just about every screw, rivet, bolt, what you may have to glue.. Everything is your rv is a potential repair.. I carry 3 tool bags full of sockets, wrenches, adjustable wrenches, 3 different sizes of vise grips, plyers, electrical testing and repair items, battery drill and case of bits with 3 batteries, 12 volt circular saw, small compressor, dremel tool, filter wrenches if it is a motorhome and make sure they fit. cleaning rags and a box of disposable gloves.. Hope this helps..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Bring all you got. If not the one tool you need will be at home.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #5

You can never have too many tools but sometimes you don't have enough. Try to limit the tools you carry to the expertise you have in doing maintenance within your capability. There are tool kits which have basic tools available from several sources such as Sears, Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight among others. The sky is the limit on what to spend.
I probably have over $200,000 invested in hand tools but I am a professional auto mechanic and repair shop owner. You'd be surprised at how many times I have said, "I wish I had one of those". I might use it once and never have a use for it again. Don't be taken in by some over anxious salesman.
Lynn
Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several threads here regarding tools and spares list. The search feature will find them for you. Lots of good ideas there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

Since i'm a component engineer, maint mgr. and mechanic I carry tools for 90% of repairs needed on the road. Hardware stores are nearly everywhere for parts and other tools. I have one compartment with most tools on a pegboard for quick access. I won't let any RV tech touch my motorhome. Spell that "incomponent"
This saves me a lot on repair costs, time and fuel wasted going for repairs and keeps me busier.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Very interesting. Not what I expected. Isn't weight a consideration? I mean my battery drill weighs a ton
Rickndebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check out this thread. It is active now.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/rv-tool-kit-314650.html

I think one person hit on the head when he said to bring a good credit card.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Since i'm a component engineer, maint mgr. and mechanic I carry tools for 90% of repairs needed on the road. Hardware stores are nearly everywhere for parts and other tools. I have one compartment with most tools on a pegboard for quick access. I won't let any RV tech touch my motorhome. Spell that "incomponent"
This saves me a lot on repair costs, time and fuel wasted going for repairs and keeps me busier.
How do you keep the tools on the pegboard when driving. Could you take a picture and post it.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:35 AM   #11

This is my tool bay. It didn't start out like this - I added tools I needed to use as I went along, which means that I've used every tool in here at least once.

What's not shown is my screw gun and charger or my pancake compressor. I use both fairly regularly as well.

Everything stays pretty well put. We just got back from a 3,000 mile trip over some pretty bumpy roads and nothing jarred loose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tool bay 01.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	143030  
Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The tools you should carry depends on what repairs you are willing to attempt while traveling. Some people think nothing of jacking up the coach for a major chassis repair on the roadside, while others would not attempt more than loosening a few screws. For example, I'm a woodworker so I carry some basic tools for repairing and touching up the finish on cabinetry, even a large wood clamp, but others would find that useless.

A good assortment of basic hand tools and a ratchet set is generally useful. Also electrical tools (VOM, wire stripper, crimper). I don't carry my big socket sets anymore - I bought a cheap homeowner combo set that fits in a small plastic box yet has a full set of 1/4" and 3/8" sockets in all the common sizes. I also bring my small (12v) Milwaukee drill-driver, not the big 18v one I have for construction work.

So, think about what chores you would be willing to do (and that a campground would allow) and then select tools accordingly. And Yes, weight is a concern. Not just the total, but the fact that it is concentrated in one place (balance consideration).

Remember also that if you have the basics, you can usually buy or rent add-ons in an emergency. For example, if you have a ratchet with you, you can buy a particular size socket or extension if needed. Also, adjustable wrenches and combo screw drivers with multiple tips can also cover a lot of possibilities, even though they sometimes aren't the best tool for the job. Adjustable water pump pliers (channel lock type) can also do a variety of jobs, even if not real well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The tools you should carry depends on what repairs you are willing to attempt while traveling. Some people think nothing of jacking up the coach for a major chassis repair on the roadside, while others would not attempt more than loosening a few screws. For example, I'm a woodworker so I carry some basic tools for repairing and touching up the finish on cabinetry, even a large wood clamp, but others would find that useless.

A good assortment of basic hand tools and a ratchet set is generally useful. Also electrical tools (VOM, wire stripper, crimper). I don't carry my big socket sets anymore - I bought a cheap homeowner combo set that fits in a small plastic box yet has a full set of 1/4" and 3/8" sockets in all the common sizes. I also bring my small (12v) Milwaukee drill-driver, not the big 18v one I have for construction work.

So, think about what chores you would be willing to do (and that a campground would allow) and then select tools accordingly. And Yes, weight is a concern. Not just the total, but the fact that it is concentrated in one place (balance consideration).

Remember also that if you have the basics, you can usually buy or rent add-ons in an emergency. For example, if you have a ratchet with you, you can buy a particular size socket or extension if needed. Also, adjustable wrenches and combo screw drivers with multiple tips can also cover a lot of possibilities, even though they sometimes aren't the best tool for the job. Adjustable water pump pliers (channel lock type) can also do a variety of jobs, even if not real well.

Gary,
I discovered the Black & Decker Matrix line. It has a lithium battery powered grip/control body and has several tools that attach. I have the drill, a scroll saw and a circular saw. They also have a nut driver, a router and a orbital sander. Quite a space saver. They work fine for the small, infrequent jobs I do these days.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #14

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=289734

Don't leave home without it!!!!
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote