Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,111
TOOLs Let's talk TOOLs

- TOOL's Let's talk TOOL's -

Simple topic but just curious what most have found as being the "Best" or Most "Used" tool you carry?

Used to just carry - Sockets and Wrenches - but over the years the most used tool is the Multimeter - and electrical repair kit. Seems as these Homes go down the road the electrical system is the weak link.

Still carry a drill and impact gun, pliers and screwdrivers, few sockets and wrenches, but the most used is the Multimeter or the 12 volt probe.

Am I alone?

What is your most used "TOOL".

Just wondering,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Waywards's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Saline, MI
Posts: 513
Bottle opener. Followed closely by cork screw. Then tire gauge and Roberts square screw driver. Not so much a tool but I also keep a couple of 50 amp prong covers for my power cord (the ones that ship on new cords). A bit of dielectric grease and the cover prevents corrosion.
__________________
2017 Ventana 3412
Honda Fit, Blue Ox Avail, Air Force One
Waywards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: st.charles mo.
Posts: 1,482
I do carry more tools than I need but after making my living as a mechanic it's hard to leave your tools at home. The problem is when you do need a tool it's always the one you don't have with you.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I do carry more tools than I need but after making my living as a mechanic it's hard to leave your tools at home. The problem is when you do need a tool it's always the one you don't have with you.
That's the story of my life - but lately the electrical wiring is in constant need of work. Thus the need for an electrical test and repair - also have used "
CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner" to help get old connections working again.

Thanks,

__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waywards View Post
Bottle opener. Followed closely by cork screw. Then tire gauge and Roberts square screw driver. Not so much a tool but I also keep a couple of 50 amp prong covers for my power cord (the ones that ship on new cords). A bit of dielectric grease and the cover prevents corrosion.
"Bottle opener. Followed closely by cork screw". Those are "Kitchen Tools" which are "REQUIRED to keep "DW" Happy, while I work on the Hot Water connection.

Thanks,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,055
Digital Multi Meter - there are always batteries to test. Duck tape. Fence wire. Multiplier, parallel jaw pliers, needle nose pliers with crimper slots. Battery drill kit with drill & impact along with bits, small sockets, level and cheap try square. A couple of different size crescent wrenches and a set of Harbor Freight combination wrenches in Metric and SAE. Soldering pencil, solder and tape. Allen Wrench sets. PEX crimper. Vise grips. Small Hack saw. Rubber hammer and a some screwdrivers and pry bars. Tire gauge. Torque wrench and sockets for the wheel nuts. Other than electrical I can change a tire, check a tire, and do the occasional loose whatever. If it gets more complicated it's time to stabilize until I get home or call somebody.

A lot of expensive damage can be avoided or at least minimized with a bit or wire and/or tape and/or hose clamps. I sometimes have some of the wrong size of the last with me so I buy as needed. ;-)

I may also have some hobby tools with me but they will be packed as part of an on the road project box.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Digital Multi Meter - there are always batteries to test. Duck tape. Fence wire. Multiplier, parallel jaw pliers, needle nose pliers with crimper slots. Battery drill kit with drill & impact along with bits, small sockets, level and cheap try square. A couple of different size crescent wrenches and a set of Harbor Freight combination wrenches in Metric and SAE. Soldering pencil, solder and tape. Allen Wrench sets. PEX crimper. Vise grips. Small Hack saw. Rubber hammer and a some screwdrivers and pry bars. Tire gauge. Torque wrench and sockets for the wheel nuts. Other than electrical I can change a tire, check a tire, and do the occasional loose whatever. If it gets more complicated it's time to stabilize until I get home or call somebody.

A lot of expensive damage can be avoided or at least minimized with a bit or wire and/or tape and/or hose clamps. I sometimes have some of the wrong size of the last with me so I buy as needed. ;-)

I may also have some hobby tools with me but they will be packed as part of an on the road project box.
Think you were looking into the Bag I just set in the Basement - Biggest problem is it starts to get Pretty Heavy..

Don't forget the Flux - just makes soldering easier.

Thanks for your insight,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
distaff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,863
Credit card, followed by tire pressure gauge, then multi-meter.

The general set of hand tools doesn't need listing, but it is extensive.

Most frequent use of the credit card is for the tool I didn't think I'd need.
__________________
Paul
2006 Patriot Thunder C13 Allison 4000
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost AWD
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
halfprice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Whittier, Ca
Posts: 246
My buddy is in alaska right now. He texted me saying a valve stem core came loose and he was losing air. Found a home garage mechanic that charged him $20 to tighten the valve stem. Next big town he came to ge bought a valve stem tool for $4

Something to think about carrying.

I added one to my tool kit.


Jerry
__________________
Jerry/Maria and Sasha 6lb Yorkie
2017 Thor Hurricane 29M/
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Busskipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Grasonville, MD -- Golden, CO
Posts: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
My buddy is in alaska right now. He texted me saying a valve stem core came loose and he was losing air. Found a home garage mechanic that charged him $20 to tighten the valve stem. Next big town he came to ge bought a valve stem tool for $4

Something to think about carrying.

I added one to my tool kit.


Jerry
Good thought, sits right next to the Pressure Gauge in the Basement, have used more than once and lent to others even more that I've used it.

That and a temp tire patch kit, always good to have.

Thanks,
__________________
Busskipper
Location - Grasonville, Maryland - and/or - Superior, Colorado
2005 Travel Supreme 42DS04 - GX470 Toad
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
bnb1313@aol.com
 
BigSkyBob's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western Montana on the Divide
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
I do carry more tools than I need but after making my living as a mechanic it's hard to leave your tools at home. The problem is when you do need a tool it's always the one you don't have with you.
I too have found this to be the case, but I still carry all the tools my tool box will hold just for peace of mind.
__________________
Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now, had to put Charlie the Beagle down :(.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2020 1500 GMC Sierra Denali 4x4 Crewcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mainuh's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 163
Favorite tool for RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
- TOOL's Let's talk TOOL's -

Simple topic but just curious what most have found as being the "Best" or Most "Used" tool you carry?

Used to just carry - Sockets and Wrenches - but over the years the most used tool is the Multimeter - and electrical repair kit. Seems as these Homes go down the road the electrical system is the weak link.

Still carry a drill and impact gun, pliers and screwdrivers, few sockets and wrenches, but the most used is the Multimeter or the 12 volt probe.
+1 My fluke multimeter is most often the "go to" tool. Very often a loose connection of fuse is the culprit of many problems.
__________________
Cheers! Don
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
2020 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 8,998
Well,
There's really no need to list all of what I carry because it's been listed a few times. All of them are in the box shown below. I also carry a torque multiplier that will very easily loosen my 450 ft. lb. lug nuts, if and when I need to, for whatever reason. For those of us that are "DIY" types or, just mechanically minded, or FRUGAL, having a well rounded set of tools is invaluable. While we (some of YOU, not me) might be capable of it, having enough tools to R & R a CAT engine while out on the road, is pretty much not going to happen.

But, the tools needed for most general repairs, diagnosing, analyzing, (VOM) and more, is just like what's been stated, PIECE OF MIND. I don't look forward to repairing something or even analyzing a problem while we're out on a trip, but, if I have to, it's nice to be able to try and help yourself if the need arises.
Scott





__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Randm Musing's Avatar


 
Solo Rvers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Oregon.
Posts: 337
Tools

Some good suggestions here. I started a new file to save all of this info.

As a new really green (old) newbie, I'm sure these suggestions will save me some mistakes.
__________________
1997 Pleasure-way Excel-RL
1997 DODGE RAM 3500 5.2L V8 318 MAGNUM
Charles, RVM174, Looking for the rainbow!!
Randm Musing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's talk solar panels! Anyone? newrvlady iRV2.com General Discussion 52 05-15-2012 08:28 AM
So Let's Talk About Good Sam ERS MakinSmoke Excel Owner's Forum 24 05-29-2008 03:20 AM
Let's Give Em Something To Talk About! islander Southeast Region 6 03-07-2006 01:43 AM
Let's talk TIRES!!! C.CARNEY Toy Haulers Discussion 14 07-26-2005 08:30 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.