Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
i have a roll away tool box wheels removed bolted though the floor into the frame of my enclosed car hauler trailer
do not know how to post photos to post
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
since my wife is the master organizer
we have many rubbermaid totes identical in size. this way they can go anywhere in the basement.
one of them is filled with extra oil, filters, jumper cables, rags. she has the rest filled with dishes, camping table stuff.
when we leave there are three that get dry food, dog food and "extras"

i have two large three drawer sterilite containers. One has dog and outside stuff

the other has tools, fuses, wire, tape, etc

the ladder is bungeed to the bottom of the frame rail, its a 6 foot step ladder.
then there are two more smaller sterilite containers with plumbing stuff (extra clamps, end fittings for sewer. then tow more for quick grab food and other "stuff" we just cant seem to live without , an air compressor and a bag for the tow bar "stuff" and the patriot brake system.
at least twice a year, she decides the whole lot is not organized, so it gets re-organized

bottom line. IT needs work
I used to have a Stanley three drawer tool chest for tools but it was so heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basement (3).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	265126   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	265127  

Name:	basement (1).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	265128  
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:24 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
3 more
its a grouping
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	basement (9).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	265129   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement (8).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	265130  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2021 F250 or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tools Pictures on how you store them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,

The first thing to do is, ELIMINATE all the crap that's not been used in your RV for quite some time. The second thing is, utilize ALL THE WALLS as much as possible, for anything and everything that can be MOUNTED or carried on those walls. Why clutter up the floor of a compartment when, it's possible to efficiently mount things on walls, in one form or another. Below is how I did it and, have done it in all our RVs. Just some ideas.

Scott

I think you win. That is impressive, Scott.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #19

Nice job guys and gals. Some great ideas since I am just starting this effort. Fire Up - Especially nice!
Thanks,
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #20

When we got our new motorhome last year I eliminated a lot of stuff I never used. I had a narrow but tall compartment that I tried to find a box to fit in but couldn’t so I built my own. Being a retired cabinetmaker it was pretty simple and worked out great and holds way more than it looks like. It carries all the hand tools I have always carried, sprays and lubes, tapes, zipties, electrical supplies and a Milwaukee impact drill/driver. The drawers are on touch release guides that you push in about a 1/4” and the pop out so they are locked in. Another bay is short and wide and I carry some items in the plastic drawer units. I have a similar compartment on the drivers side right behind the front door (Super C) and carry all my fluids there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13EECC70-6C0B-4401-B5AC-2B3E3098A0A9.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	265168   Click image for larger version

Name:	848220B5-B094-4316-9478-D9CAA1AACD69.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	265169  

Name:	693D1DB4-35E0-4E39-9005-E19217946AFF.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	265170   Click image for larger version

Name:	68E5661D-A493-46C1-AF75-1BA4F359551B.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	265171  

Name:	831ACD41-2AC7-4E21-AED8-ECE1E2DB7371.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	265172  
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Yup that is organized!

Was hoping you would join the conversation and repost your Images - remember them from think it was 2017 on a tool post.

Seriously doubt I will ever get it like you have - but if I can just get rid of the Crap and all the duplicates it will be a great improvement.

If I can get everything out then organized into groups I might get close.

Thanks for your post,
Busskipper,
I very much appreciate yours and others kind words of my compartment scenarios. I outfitted brand new fire trucks for service, for about 25 years as an overtime assignment. It kind-a trickled over into my private life, as you can tell. Now, most of us DIY types, that have been wrenching for decades, can EASILY overkill on the tool supply game in our rigs. So many guys almost prep for a total engine overhaul, while OUT ON THE ROAD.

That of course is up to each individual. Far be it for me to advise on who carries what. Ain't gonna happen. But, as stated earlier, one can accumulate a ton of garb and before you know it, your coach is like many residential garages, you can't even get a bicycle wheel and tire in them 'cause they're so cluttered, much less a car. I weeded my rig out years ago of all the stuff I THOUGHT I needed. Well, of all that stuff I removed, I never once came back and wished I had any of it. What you see in the pics is used with enough frequency to warrant having it, period.

One of the really good parts about having such organization is, knowing EXACTLY where, each and every part/fluid/tool/nut & bolt/ is, and, it has it's own spot. Two things, one, you know EXACTLY where to look for any given part/tool/fluid etc. Two, if there's an empty spot where something belongs, you know right off the bat, you either put it back some place it doesn't belong or, it's missing altogether. I can go right to the compartment where a given part/tool/fluid/component I need is, without opening up all the compartment doors and pulling out boxes etc.

My career demanded that kind of discipline which, made things easy to setup our coach(s) like they are. If boxes or bins work for you, by all means, use what you feel is best for you. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
When we got our new motorhome last year I eliminated a lot of stuff I never used. I had a narrow but tall compartment that I tried to find a box to fit in but couldn’t so I built my own. Being a retired cabinetmaker it was pretty simple and worked out great and holds way more than it looks like. It carries all the hand tools I have always carried, sprays and lubes, tapes, zipties, electrical supplies and a Milwaukee impact drill/driver. The drawers are on touch release guides that you push in about a 1/4” and the pop out so they are locked in. Another bay is short and wide and I carry some items in the plastic drawer units. I have a similar compartment on the drivers side right behind the front door (Super C) and carry all my fluids there.
BMG,
Wow, that is some seriously impressive work! I too did quite a bit of cabinet construction both on and off my career and, I know what was involved in that kind of work. Man, not bad at all! It's waaaaaaaaay nice to be able to have that kind of separation and organization. Isn't it nice to be able to go RIGHT TO where you know, is the part/component/tool etc. instead of looking for it saying: "I know those wire ties are in this motorhome somewhere"
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
What a great set of Drawers!

Thats what I call a Pretty Close to Perfect Tool Box. - -

What a great use of space.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:23 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I’m too disorganized to do anything like that. I just toss everything under there and let God sort it out. I find what I need eventually. LOL.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Busskipper,
I very much appreciate yours and others kind words of my compartment scenarios. I outfitted brand new fire trucks for service, for about 25 years as an overtime assignment. It kind-a trickled over into my private life, as you can tell. Now, most of us DIY types, that have been wrenching for decades, can EASILY overkill on the tool supply game in our rigs. So many guys almost prep for a total engine overhaul, while OUT ON THE ROAD.

That of course is up to each individual. Far be it for me to advise on who carries what. Ain't gonna happen. But, as stated earlier, one can accumulate a ton of garb and before you know it, your coach is like many residential garages, you can't even get a bicycle wheel and tire in them 'cause they're so cluttered, much less a car. I weeded my rig out years ago of all the stuff I THOUGHT I needed. Well, of all that stuff I removed, I never once came back and wished I had any of it. What you see in the pics is used with enough frequency to warrant having it, period.

One of the really good parts about having such organization is, knowing EXACTLY where, each and every part/fluid/tool/nut & bolt/ is, and, it has it's own spot. Two things, one, you know EXACTLY where to look for any given part/tool/fluid etc. Two, if there's an empty spot where something belongs, you know right off the bat, you either put it back some place it doesn't belong or, it's missing altogether. I can go right to the compartment where a given part/tool/fluid/component I need is, without opening up all the compartment doors and pulling out boxes etc.

My career demanded that kind of discipline which, made things easy to setup our coach(s) like they are. If boxes or bins work for you, by all means, use what you feel is best for you. Good luck.
Scott
Thanks Scott,

This has quickly turned into the Post I was hoping for - Hard to say it any better than with Pictures. you and others have done a Great Job showing the rest of us How to get it done, and get it done the right way.

I'm a DIY guy and because in my First life, I owned a Utility Contracting Company with so much Stuff that need to run everyday, all day it was just natural to have tools in every truck - and with every crew.

Each foreman had his truck not only filled with the Equipment They needed but also the tools to keep it running, as the mechanic could be 60 to 75 miles away when they needed him.

Usually my best tool was a CC or a Phone to get what was needed to keep them Going - and every now and then, the old man even fixed a thing or two - but that was just a time Money thing and when you had $500 an hour sitting still it sure made sense to have everything you needed to keep going.

That has stuck in my semi retired life - and I just Love to Have the Tools with me, All of them.

So My Mission is to get rid of the Stuff - the Duplicated - the Unnecessary - Organize it Like you and others have. Know where it is and carry Less.

So for us generally we store three things in the Basement;

1. My tools - Hand Mechanics tools - Special tools - Electrical/Battery operated tools - Tree trimmer - Window washer - rags and polishers - Filters - Oil - Fluids - Creeper - Waxes - washing - Ladder - Bench - Tapes and Glues - Nuts and Bolts - Chargers - Electrical repair bag 12v and 120v - Spare Parts - Heaters

2. Cooking - Grill and Propane - Grill table - Cooler - Utensils.

3. Outside set up - Chairs - set up for outside - rug - small tables - two chairs

So the Mission this Winter is to clean out the Basement - everything out - Eliminate - reorganize - restock and be ready to go.

Maybe...Just Maybe I'll even have some EMPTY spaces in that basement.

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Well,
The first thing to do is, ELIMINATE all the crap that's not been used in your RV for quite some time. The second thing is, utilize ALL THE WALLS as much as possible, for anything and everything that can be MOUNTED or carried on those walls. Why clutter up the floor of a compartment when, it's possible to efficiently mount things on walls, in one form or another. Below is how I did it and, have done it in all our RVs. Just some ideas.
Scott
Old 10-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
2. Cooking - Grill and Propane - Grill table

Another thing I built to get rid of bulk was a BBQ mount. We do a lot of boondocking on a river bar that is large rocks and setting up a table didnt always work good. I built this mount that takes up less space than a table, assembles in under 2 minutes and can be swung out of the way when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	i-HvLMpGk-X2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	409.0 KB
ID:	265206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	265207  

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	265208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	265209  

Name:	2019030620003237-IMG_9784.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	265210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1160.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	836.2 KB
ID:	265211  

BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM   #28

I organized the truck bed with home made wood boxes to carry 2 propane tanks, wire welder and a enclosed box for a set of jack stands with another box for a bench grinder/polisher. Tools I like to play with!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TruckBox1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	265212   Click image for larger version

Name:	GrinderBox1.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	265213  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags