Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Tools Pictures on how you store them.

Been cleaning up and trying to re-organize the Basement of the Coach - I carry way too many tools - BUT that is not going to change . - .

So looking at/for some of you who are ORGANIZED ..... seen them before on similar topics but looking to see if there is any way for me to organize my tools - be able to find the things I need and still have some room for the other things that I should carry in the Basement.

Tell Me Your SECRETS.

Tools Boxes

Trays

Just what do you do to get it to be Organized???????????

Filters - Yea I carry one of each (Maybe two of some)
Tools - 1/4" drive 3/8" drive 1/2" drive - full sets of each
Dewalt/Makita - battery operated tools - more than I will ever need but... I need them.
Electrical Tools -Meters - connectors - wire - fuses - sprays.........
Glues - Tapes - repair stuff - just one big shoe box full....
WD-40 and all the other spray cans I can't live without.
Pipe repair tools and fittings
Hydro Hot Parts
Oil
Antifreeze
Waxes and cleaners.
Snow shovel - rake.... yes I've used them both often ... love to be in the Coach in the Winter.
Jack - Creeper - roller seat - lights - Ladder - Platform - Tables ......on and on but that pretty much covers it.

So the Point here is It's almost Winter - things are slowing down a bit and I'd like to get things really organized so I Need Help so It's;

1. It's is Consolidated.
  2. It's Organized.
  3. So I can find and get to these items as I need them.
  4. It's Logical
  5. Maybe even eliminate some duplicates - - - -

So help this old guy out - post your Pictures - Show off How You Did/Do it. Don't just tell me, although that will help but Show Me.

Think this could Help a lot of us out

PICTURES PLEASE

TIA,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
NXR

I paid $500 for this tray when we ordered the coach but no one could tell us what it looked like or where it was installed. It's supposed to hold 500 lbs and is from Moryde. It's definitely my favorite accessory.

One Harbor Freight tool bag carries tools, another bag carries electrical meters and related items while the third bag carries miscellaneous stuff like gloves, wire brushes, tie wraps, etc. The air compressor is at the far end along with the leveling blocks. I'm trying to keep the commonly used stuff like the cable TV cords nearest the compartment door end.

I could use a second one for some spare parts so I'm just throwing those all in a plastic bin.

I use large cardboard for my "creeper" and the ladder is an Xtend-n-Climb, all in a center pass-through. My compartments are all pass-through but because it's on an F53 chassis the pass-through section is only about 9" tall. And the "floor" of the pass-through is pretty thin because it lets light through. I can't really put anything heavy on them without extra bracing somehow.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool Tray.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	264948  
Old 10-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I paid $500 for this tray when we ordered the coach but no one could tell us what it looked like or where it was installed. It's supposed to hold 500 lbs and is from Moryde. It's definitely my favorite accessory.

One Harbor Freight tool bag carries tools, another bag carries electrical meters and related items while the third bag carries miscellaneous stuff like gloves, wire brushes, tie wraps, etc. The air compressor is at the far end along with the leveling blocks. I'm trying to keep the commonly used stuff like the cable TV cords nearest the compartment door end.

I could use a second one for some spare parts so I'm just throwing those all in a plastic bin.

I use large cardboard for my "creeper" and the ladder is an Xtend-n-Climb, all in a center pass-through. My compartments are all pass-through but because it's on an F53 chassis the pass-through section is only about 9" tall. And the "floor" of the pass-through is pretty thin because it lets light through. I can't really put anything heavy on them without extra bracing somehow.

Ray
Nice -

Have you seen this - https://www.ebay.com/i/362636603537?...SABEgIeSvD_BwE

Has anyone figured out how to use/access the hard to use space near the ceiling from where the rails come down? Not just a shelf but a Shelf/Contraption that holds the Heavy Stuff????
Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Just bough the same item after our last outing for the moth of September. Got tired of walking on my shoulder blades getting under and out from under the MH to check things out, or reconnect exhaust pipes. This will work on grass, gravel, dirt, or pavement.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
No, I had not. Thanks!

Quote:
Has anyone figured out how to use/access the hard to use space near the ceiling from where the rails come down? Not just a shelf but a Shelf/Contraption that holds the Heavy Stuff????
"Rails"? I don't know what area you're talking abut.

Ray
Old 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #6

I bought a harbor freight tool box (originally had wheels) and put it in a non slide baggage compartment. Most stuff just goes in there. Socket / wrenches are in their own plastic tool box (craftsman). Power tools in their Dewalt bag. Jack stands next to the tool box. Long torque wrench in another storage area with some spare parts and leveling pads.

I went through my overall tool collection and put the duplicates in the RV permanent. Common non duplicate tools I move to the RV for a trip.
Any RV specific tools (torque multiplier) stay in the RV.

Rails - meaning frame rails? ie: the chassis rails? So far, I haven't done anything specific with them.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

"Rails"? I don't know what area you're talking abut.

Ray
On a DP itís the frame the motor home sits on 8-9 ď down into the Basement. The cargo slides have to be loaded below so they slide out in both directions.

Somehow you need to be able to hang things so they are out of the way when you are using the basement slides. Problem is you get them up there and canít remember or see them.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I hung some wire shelving from the ceiling of the front half of the bay with the lip turned up. Only uses half of the area but better than nothing...no picture.
I have a storage area behind the rear axle that's not very deep where I put heavy items/tools.. Added a wire shelf to it too.

The white item is a 20 ton jack.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I ordered our current coach, I passed on the full pass thru bay, and bought a 3/4 bay slide, since I had one bay that is blocked at one end. I made this my tools and parts bay. I keep all the tools in a 3 drawer Craftsmen tool box. I have three plastic tubs 12" x 12" x 16" where are keep parts and supplies. One tub has things like a new step motor, water pump etc. The other has wiring, hoses belts.

Lastly, I have two of those plastic bin boxes with the clear lid, 12" x 14". I keep small parts, nuts and bolts, latches, locks, etc. By having everything in this one bay, I can access everything I need, plus it slides out and can be kind of a workbench.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #10

This here is all I have in terms of basement storage, so obviously I'm not a able to carry a lot down there. And it doesn't help that there's a bunch of pipes going right through the middle. So I keep my bottle jack, pry bars, extra rope and chains, and a small metal tool box which just contains essential tools for in case I break down. And then inside the coach in a spare cabinet I have an old milk crate which has starting fluid, brake cleaner, WD-40, rags, and a few other random tools.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190806_165401008_HDR.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	264976
1970s Titans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #11

Tool storage

Built a sliding for tool box and put drills in be hide works good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0305.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	264989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	264990  

Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgins95 View Post
Built a sliding for tool box and put drills in be hide works good.
Nice set up - lots of ideas - think I just need to get a Lot more Organized.

I've just got tools everywhere. - -

These will be the before - hoping by winter I'll have an after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4977.jpg
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	265075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4975.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	449.9 KB
ID:	265076  

Name:	IMG_4974.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	265077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4969.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	265078  

Old 10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #13

Well,
The first thing to do is, ELIMINATE all the crap that's not been used in your RV for quite some time. The second thing is, utilize ALL THE WALLS as much as possible, for anything and everything that can be MOUNTED or carried on those walls. Why clutter up the floor of a compartment when, it's possible to efficiently mount things on walls, in one form or another. Below is how I did it and, have done it in all our RVs. Just some ideas.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0335.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	265112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0337.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	265113  

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	265114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	265115  

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	265116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	265117  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
The first thing to do is, ELIMINATE all the crap that's not been used in your RV for quite some time. The second thing is, utilize ALL THE WALLS as much as possible, for anything and everything that can be MOUNTED or carried on those walls. Why clutter up the floor of a compartment when, it's possible to efficiently mount things on walls, in one form or another. Below is how I did it and, have done it in all our RVs. Just some ideas.
Scott
Yup that is organized!

Was hoping you would join the conversation and repost your Images - remember them from think it was 2017 on a tool post.

Seriously doubt I will ever get it like you have - but if I can just get rid of the Crap and all the duplicates it will be a great improvement.

If I can get everything out then organized into groups I might get close.

Thanks for your post,

Tags
ems