Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Torn Awning

The awning over the bedroom slide has a 4 inch tear near the outside end. I tried a piece of duct tape, but it started flapping during travel. Any suggestions? Please don't tell me I have to replace the whole thing!
Bruce-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce-G View Post
The awning over the bedroom slide has a 4 inch tear near the outside end. I tried a piece of duct tape, but it started flapping during travel. Any suggestions? Please don't tell me I have to replace the whole thing!
Try the awning repair tape. I got mine at Camping World. It's clear and sticks pretty good, you do have to replace it from time to time.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I like to use sail repair tape. It's available at West Marine and most marine supply stores. If not available awning repair tape works.

When making the repair, clean the area around the tear at least 4 inches using a cleaner that leaves no residue. Apply the tape so it overlaps the tear by at least three inches. Place a second piece of tape half lapped over the first, and a third piece half lapped over the first on the other half of the first piece of tape. Do this on both sides of the awning.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #4

No not the whole thing - - just the fabric. IF the fabric is sunbrella it can be stitched back together. I'm sure there are ways to repair the vinyl fabric ones, but the replacement cost of a new one is pretty cheap. Sunbrella replacement is more (of course), and replacement is usually what we do since it's usually sun faded and the rest of the fabric is so thin that it'll probably tear somewhere else.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #5

Sometimes there is enough fabric on the roller that you could remove the torn part and resew the pocket for the spline.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I tried the awning tape on mine and it did not hold at the seams. It might work ok for a tear in the center, but the other did not stay. I have been told the best thing would be to replace the awning fabric. I have been checking Craig's List and eBay for new awning fabric and then will pay to have it replaced.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Awning Repair Tape will work to stop a rip.
I have used it on patio awning and a slide out awning.
Long lasting.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We had our awning and slide topper replaced by the insurance company under COMPREHENSIVE WIND DAMAGE. That's why I stick with State Farm. In this case State Farm took care of the replacement and there is no deductible on the comprehensive. They also replaced the Windshield at the same time. The bill was around $4,000. At that time I still had Good Sam Road Service and State Farm reimbursed us for Good Sam's labor charge to tie everything back together for transport.

We were told by other campers and the road service company that CoachNet is the better of the two large road service companies so we now have CoachNet. The $4,000 damage was on a prior coach and the Micro and water lines on our present coach. We have RV Elite as our extended warranty RV Contract and recently used them for replacing the Micro control panel and four water lines for a single $100 deductible.

It gets expensive to carry the insurance company and the road service and extended warranty, BUT we have received more money from them this year (2010) than the cost of the policies.

The big hurt to our budget was our recent Arizona MH license plate renewal...$2,000. You read that right...$2,000! Now that hurt!

Happy Travels, Joe
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I didn't mean to hijack that "awning post", just showing a way to have an awning repair/replacement paid for through the insurance company. Most extended warranty companies will not pay for a wind damaged awning as far as I know. Please correct me if I am wrong about that. Happy travels, Joe
Old 12-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had both my slideout toppers fabric replaced due to them tearing away from the roll up part on the coach.
They are quite a bit quieter now when the wind comes up.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Arch Hoagland

I have a small problem in one of the slide toppers. I am curious as to what it will cost to replace the topper.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Bruce
You can replace just the material. Buy it from this guy RV Slide Out Awnings, Replacement Fabric
My wife and I did ours in about a hour, not a hard job at all. He'll provide instructions and his material is heavier than original. Ours has been on for over a year now and still looks like new. Ours was on a 12ft slide and cost $144 so yours should cost a bit less than that.

Good Luck

Dick
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Yup, sail repair tape (from West Marine as mentioned) is THE BEST.

Steve.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
codgerbill
I paid $585.
That included replacing both slide toppers and repairing a damaged end cap on the bedroom roller that hit a tree while on a small side street.

Morrison's V.I.P. Coach in Sanger, California did the work. They add slideouts to RV's so they know what they are doing. Excellent work.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote