RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Tow Bar

I currently have a stowmaster tow bar on the front of my jeep to tow behind
my motorhome. it works ok but i am wondering if i want to change over
to a falcon 2 towbar that hooks up behind my motorhome how hard is it
to convert over to a behind motorhome towbar instead of a in front of my
jeep towbar? would it be worth the extra expense and trouble to change
it over from front of jeep to behind the motorhome? any advantages or
disadvangtes to behind the motorhome towing? i guess i dont like leaving
my towbar on the front of my jeep all the time. i think it would be better to
just leave the towbar attached to the motorhome.

i guess i should have researched this towbar situation before i went ahead
and got the stowmaster tow bar for the front of myh jeep?

please any thoughts or input on this towing situation? thanks for any
insight and help or opinions.

i was thinking i could maybe pick up a used falcon towbar on ebay but
dont know how hard it would be to hook up to the back of my motorhome?

also what would i have to change on the front of my jeep? thanks

mr. seaview is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you would basically be starting over with a tow setup. You would need a new base plate or bumper with frame attached tow points in addition to the new tow bar. You could probably sell the old tow bar as used. As for hookup on the back of the motor home, most of the other style tow bars just hook into the receiver hitch. A "quiet hitch" to tighten movement of the hitch is recommended to reduce play in the tow bar.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #3

Not that Hard to do

I hate to disagree with the above post but I just changed from a Stowmaster towbar to a Falcon towbar and it isn't too hard to do. You use the same bases you've already installed for the Stowmaster but have to buy a crossbar that fits between them. It is about $60 on Amazon- here is the title from Amazon- "Roadmaster 067 Quick Disconnect Crossbar". You also need to buy the pins that fit into the crossbar (another $27)- "Roadmaster 910029 Base Pin with Chain". Of course the Falcon is the biggest expense but it really is that simple. Those two purchases will convert your system.

After just returning from Alaska- driving 10,000 miles with the new rig, I had zero problems. Although I must say, if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have changed. I think the Stowmaster worked as good or better than the Falcon for ease of taking it on/off. It is not as robust as the Falcon but for towing my Jeep Liberty, the Stowmaster was plenty. I had made the change because when I bought my motorhome, the previous owner gave me the Falcon.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 PM   #4

I'm a Blue Ox guy all the way. Hated having the tow bar hanging off the front of my Saturn . My next toad was a Honda CRV (2011) so I was able to switch to a Blue Ox that slid into the receiver on the motorhome
and loved it. I now tow a 2015 GMC Terrain with the same tow bar and once I remove the tow pins from the tow plate you can barely tell it's a towd. JWID. ( I also use the Blue Ox Patriot brake setup for the towd) love it
Dick Missett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow