Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #1

Tow dolly Clarence

I am new with a class A and Tow Master dolly with a Prius Toad. There is only a few inches between the dolly ramp and Prius sub frame.
Question: when transitioning from a steep grade to level seems live the ramps will touch the subframe of the Prius.
Thanks in advance Fellows!
bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

I have an American Tow Dolly very heavy but the ramps come off and Tow a Honda Accord or A Toyota Tundra.
You may want a tow dolly that ramps can removed or You may not have any problems at all. One can only test it out.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
I have an American Tow Dolly very heavy but the ramps come off and Tow a Honda Accord or A Toyota Tundra.
You may want a tow dolly that ramps can removed or You may not have any problems at all. One can only test it out.

Don't know if I'm worrying about something that NOT a problem.
Thanks for the reply
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #4

Your MH receiver ball is too low. The ball should be 18 to 20 inches from the ground when your coach is fully loaded. I use a 2" drop receiver turned upside down (gives a 1/2" rise) when I carry the wife's Jetta. With the Rampside, I use the receiver with the drop. Home Depot caries a ball wrench that makes removing the ball nut easy.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your MH receiver ball is too low. The ball should be 18 to 20 inches from the ground when your coach is fully loaded. I use a 2" drop receiver turned upside down (gives a 1/2" rise) when I carry the wife's Jetta. With the Rampside, I use the receiver with the drop. Home Depot caries a ball wrench that makes removing the ball nut easy.
This. I have a Kar Kaddy and 18 to 19 inches is the best ball height when towing our Buick.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post

[emoji106] good point. Have to check but I think I'm at 18 inches. Don't know that I have a problem just checking to see if anyone has had the ramps hit the toad
Old 06-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
[emoji106] good point. Have to check but I think I'm at 18 inches. Don't know that I have a problem just checking to see if anyone has had the ramps hit the toad

Bob,
I've read several threads on here in the past from folks who have damaged the underside of their toads with tow dolly ramps. It's a combination of the height of the hitch, and the clearance under your car, which I'm thinking is fairly low on a Prius. You should be able to find what the manufacturer recommends as the ball/hitch height for your tow dolly on their website, and then get a drop down hitch to get yourself in specs. As previously mentioned you can also turn a drop down hitch upside down if you need to raise it up. I have an Acme tow dolly with removable ramps, it's been great, and Without the ramps there's no concern about damaging the toad when you pull into a gas station or parking lot that has a ramp or incline.

Safe travels - Kirk
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

same problem with our Buick Verano when we used a MasterTow dolly. The Verano has a low air dam in front and it dragged. I just extended the ramps with a piece of 2x6 (sideways) on the ground in front of the ramp to smooth out the approach angle a bit. Worked like a champ.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
Bob,
I've read several threads on here in the past from folks who have damaged the underside of their toads with tow dolly ramps. It's a combination of the height of the hitch, and the clearance under your car, which I'm thinking is fairly low on a Prius. You should be able to find what the manufacturer recommends as the ball/hitch height for your tow dolly on their website, and then get a drop down hitch to get yourself in specs. As previously mentioned you can also turn a drop down hitch upside down if you need to raise it up. I have an Acme tow dolly with removable ramps, it's been great, and Without the ramps there's no concern about damaging the toad when you pull into a gas station or parking lot that has a ramp or incline.

Safe travels - Kirk

Will do thanks
Old 06-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Tow dolly Clarence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
same problem with our Buick Verano when we used a MasterTow dolly. The Verano has a low air dam in front and it dragged. I just extended the ramps with a piece of 2x6 (sideways) on the ground in front of the ramp to smooth out the approach angle a bit. Worked like a champ.

My concern is once loaded and traveling the ramp hitting the undercarriage of the toad when transitioning from a steep incline.
Thanks for the 2x6 idea!
Old 06-30-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Tow dolly Clarence

I have towed my Camry, Avalon, Chrysler mini van and several others with my Mastertow Dolly. Probably 40,000 miles with no such problems. I have gone up and down several steep driveway grades, RR crossings, etc., and I have not experienced any clearance problems. I hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #12

Yes it does. Gives me confidence!
Thanks
Old 06-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I have towed my Camry, Avalon, Chrysler mini van and several others with my Mastertow Dolly. Probably 40,000 miles with no such problems. I have gone up and down several steep driveway grades, RR crossings, etc., and I have not experienced any clearance problems. I hope this helps.
I also have towed a honda accord wagon all over the US without a problem, at first I worried about it but when no contact to the bottom of the car was made I forgot about it.

Load it up and have fun.

Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I also have towed a honda accord wagon all over the US without a problem, at first I worried about it but when no contact to the bottom of the car was made I forgot about it.

Load it up and have fun.

Mrfix

[emoji106]thanks

Tags
dolly, tow, tow dolly