Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Wink Tow haul mode

I have a 2012 Forest River Georgetown 378,gas, with toad, specifically a 2016 Kia SOul, which will all the stuff stored in it probably weights 3000 lbs ???
I also have a tow haul button, after researching about mountain driving, shifting into a lower gear going DOWN and snub breaking, now I have the tow haul feature, I am not sure how / when to use it, and if I should still down shift into a lower gear doing down a mountain. I will be heading from LA to UT in a little over a month and I don't want to fall off the mountains or have my brakes or transmission to fall out. H E L P !

I know that this subject was addressed previously, but the last one I saw was in 2012.
pymmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
You should already be in Tow / Haul mode going up the Hill. If not put it in Tow / Haul Mode and slow down. In tow Haul Mode it will down shift as you lose speed and use the engine for braking. Never go down hill in a higher gear than what it took to climb the grade.
Mel
Old 04-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

I believe it keeps the tranny in lower gears longer you will still have to down shift if you need to going down. If this is your first mountain drive odds are the motor will not hold you completely back so don't ride the brakes.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

In tow-haul mode on the the downhill, when you wish to have the motor hold your speed, press firmly on the brake and it should downshift and hold it there, further slowing with the brake will cause a further downshift if speed permits and it will not upshift until you accelerate for a bit and/or take it out of tow -haul.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

You will find clear instructions on when to use the Two/Haul feature in your owners manual. It works very well on steep grades and stop and go traffic. It will cause your engine to run at high RPM when coming down steep grades but it will not damage anything. If you look at your tachometer you will see no red line. That takes some getting used to but the computer that controls the engine will not allow it to run in a way that will cause damage. You have a very sophisticated drive train in your motor home. Did you know that when you start your engine, it does not matter if you hold the key in the start position or release it to the run position, the engine will go through the start process on it's own. It does this to protect the engine. You really should read the owners manual.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #6
KC

I drive a F550 wrecker and I use it when I tow a vehicle to assist in braking. It helps.

KC
Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In a nut shell with the feature the transmission gets a bit more aggressive with both the up and down shift patterns. When accelerating it will hold the gear a little long before up shifting and when decelerating it will down shift sooner to help slow the coach.

As Dave-Oh described firm braking will downshift and hold the gear. You'll still have full manual control to downshift as you did on the past. System works very well when used properly.

For myself my biggest wow with the feature was while driving east on I40 out of Asheville NC. At the top of a very long decent (flashing safety signs, mandatory truck stop and three runaway ramps) held the brake for a few seconds, transmission down shifted to 3rd and engine braking held the decent speed to 55 MPH. Bottom of the hill hit resume for the cruise control and coach shifted back to fifth. Other than the initial braking and the CC resume I did nothing but steered the coach for the five mile decent.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow