Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Tow PDM location on Coachmen Cross Country

Looking for help in locating the fuse panel for the towing connection on a 2003 Coachmen Cross Country. It is not located with the rest of the fuses under the dash. I have called Freightliner and the Coachmen Help desks. They both defer to the other and have not been any help. Does anyone know where it is located? Currently the turn signals and brake light connections work, but not the running lights.
boldenrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not familiar with your rig so can't help with that. Noticed you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

On a diesel pusher chassis, the fuses and/or relays for the towing connectors, rear lights, and transmission controller are typically in a rear storage bay on the passenger side.

Freightliner can't tell you because when the chassis is delivered to Coachmen, the fuses boxes and relays are on a loosely coiled wiring harness that isn't installed anywhere yet. Since its rear end stuff, the harness is near the back. Coachmen should know where they installed it on any given model, but the customer service reps often don't have that level of detail or aren't trained to read and reply about it if they do.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

My Coachmen is an '11 so this may not help. However, on mine the only 12 volt fuses that I've found are either in the bedroom or in the front bay on the driver's side. That front bay fuse box does service my rear lights.
My brake lights quit working but the fuse and the relay were both proven good. I unplugged my towing umbilical and everything began working correctly. The umbilical cord had taken on water and managed to prevent the brake lights from working without blowing the fuse. That's got to be a rare thing, but thought I would mention it. Good luck tracking down your issue. Finding the fuse is likely the first step in finding the problem.
Another thing to look at, when I turn on my lights the various trim lights also come on along with headlights and tail lights. If the only thing not working on yours are the tail lights that might make it easier to find the problem.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #5

Just to clarify, you're talking about the running lights on the motorhome, right? Not on your toad?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #6

On my FL PO Chassis the AUX fuse box was a black plastic squareish covered box mounted to a rear bay wall. It looks something like this with the cover off:

Old 09-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Just to clarify, you're talking about the running lights on the motorhome, right? Not on your toad?
It is the marker lights for the toad from the 7 connector plug that is not working.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Quote:
My Coachmen is an '11 so this may not help. However, on mine the only 12 volt fuses that I've found are either in the bedroom or in the front bay on the driver's side. That front bay fuse box does service my rear lights.
My brake lights quit working but the fuse and the relay were both proven good. I unplugged my towing umbilical and everything began working correctly. The umbilical cord had taken on water and managed to prevent the brake lights from working without blowing the fuse. That's got to be a rare thing, but thought I would mention it. Good luck tracking down your issue. Finding the fuse is likely the first step in finding the problem.
Another thing to look at, when I turn on my lights the various trim lights also come on along with headlights and tail lights. If the only thing not working on yours are the tail lights that might make it easier to find the problem.
All of the coach lights work. Only the toad marker lights is not working.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #9

That's a good clarification. I don't believe you will find any fuse that is only protecting the 7 pin umbilical connections. If the tail light/ running lights on the bus are working and you don't have power at the tail light pin on the bus connection, you've got a failed connection or corrosion somewhere. A very logical place to start would be the wire connections in the back of the connector itself.
Another possibility is that your rig has some sort of tail light converter that has been spliced in. The connections for this device would be suspect.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-elect...ght-converters

All this assumes you're testing right at the connector, not at the toad end of an umbilical.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
That's a good clarification. I don't believe you will find any fuse that is only protecting the 7 pin umbilical connections. If the tail light/ running lights on the bus are working and you don't have power at the tail light pin on the bus connection, you've got a failed connection or corrosion somewhere. A very logical place to start would be the wire connections in the back of the connector itself.
Another possibility is that your rig has some sort of tail light converter that has been spliced in. The connections for this device would be suspect.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-elect...ght-converters

All this assumes you're testing right at the connector, not at the toad end of an umbilical.

Nope. FL chassis has it mounted somewhere. On my 2007 chassis it was mounted near the cab a/c condenser coil fan and hardware DS rear. My photo in above post clearly shows most of the 7-pin fuses.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #11

Thanks Reacher! I should have looked more closely at your picture. I only have experience with my own coach in this area, and I have yet to find any such fuse box on my '11.
OP, once you find this fuse box, you will likely still have to chase the wiring to eliminate whatever caused the fuse to blow. Please post what you find.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #12

All good my friend. Hopefully someone with a similar model and year can point him in the right direction. It could be anywhere I'm afraid.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2006 Cross Country 382DS. The fuse panel and connections for the 7 way plug are in the 2nd compartment from the rear on the right hand side. Compartment next to the propane tank. On mine there are 2 fuse panels behind plastic covers. The one that has the connections for the toad are in the one on the rear wall. Behind the one on the left wall has the 12volt relay for the 12 volt system and on the floor of the compartment is the converter and if installed the inverter. Believe my when I say it is a Bear to find. Good people on this forum guided me.
Good Luck [emoji3]
golfman8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, coachmen, tow