RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #1

Towing a convertible

I have a 1968 OLDS Delmont 88 convertible that i bought when i came back from Nam. I was wondering if anyone has had problems towing a large convertible behind their class A motorhome. I am concerned about the terbulint wind on the ragtop.
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #2

I don't see much of a difference between that and towing a soft top Jeep. Before I started to flat tow I tow dollied a 2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible. No issues. I would be more concerned about towing a rear wheel drive vehicle.
StevefromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
mine goes in the trailer however you should not have an issue with the top since it is made to drive highway speeds colsed
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #4

Towing a convertible

I would be more concerned about the road debris and filth kicked up by the MH on a classic car. And older convertibles didnít have the best seals to keep wet road spray out that will also be kicked up by the MH at odd angles.
You probably know this already, but you will have to put it on a trailer or drop the driveline. Trailers can be made to deflect a lot of the road grime etc. I donít think wind will be a factor.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #5

Ditto, no more wind turbulence being towed as driven, I would be concerned with exhaust film on my classic car.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

68 olds

It will have to be trailered because left front wheel drives the speedometor. And i do not want to have to disconnect the drive line. I do have a Roadmaster rock shield to protect against debris. Just concerned about winds. Thanks Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I would be more concerned about the road debris and filth kicked up by the MH on a classic car. And older convertibles didnít have the best seals to keep wet road spray out that will also be kicked up by the MH at odd angles.
You probably know this already, but you will have to put it on a trailer or drop the driveline. Trailers can be made to deflect a lot of the road grime etc. I donít think wind will be a factor.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be more concerned about the road rash on the car. It will get chips and such, no matter what you do. Find and older beater to tow. Alternate id to get an enclosed trailer and that will be heavy pus the car weight.

Ken
Old 12-01-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go buy a 10 year old moderate mileage Honda Accord that you can tow four down and leave the Olds in the climate controlled garage where it should be.

Not sure if a 2008 Adventurer 35A has the weight capacity to tow the 4000+ lbs. of a 1968 Oldsmobile Delmont on an open trailer let alone an enclosed version.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 AM   #9

68 olds

The reason i asked is we go to Florida or Arizona for a few months in the winter. We would like to use our Olds there. I currently tow a 2011 GMC CANYON but we are planning to upgrade to a Diesel, so we can tow the olds. Sounds like an enclosed trailer would be the best option. Thanks for the input everyone.

Tags
tow, towing