Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #15

Apologies if my explanation was not clear. See below for a (crude) drawing that may better show how my extension rails are attached. Hopefully it will make sense.

Also, to clarify, my main interest is for a toad vehicle. In the long run, I think I am going to just purchase a vehicle less than 4000 lbs to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrameExtensionPic.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	297165  
RV_ThereYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #16
Commercial Member

i have had customers ask for a heavier hitch so that they could tow more.
for one customer, i added the hitch, with the admonition, "having a heavier hitch doesnt increase towing weight" in writing.
he ignored me, the extension came apart, and he lost four horses. the quality of the welding, and how its done makes a major difference. but not when weight exceeds limits, posted on a sticker on the back of the rv, just above the hitch.
i really felt bad, but the court found that we had no liability because of the written admonition.
thankfully his insurance, and ours worked it out. either way, the poor horses lost out.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i have had customers ask for a heavier hitch so that they could tow more.
for one customer, i added the hitch, with the admonition, "having a heavier hitch doesnt increase towing weight" in writing.
he ignored me, the extension came apart, and he lost four horses. the quality of the welding, and how its done makes a major difference. but not when weight exceeds limits, posted on a sticker on the back of the rv, just above the hitch.
i really felt bad, but the court found that we had no liability because of the written admonition.
thankfully his insurance, and ours worked it out. either way, the poor horses lost out.
Hi azpete. Thanks for the info, and sorry to hear about said customer's (and horses') woes. These are the exact reasons why I am seeking answers, instead of just slapping a stronger hitch on the coach. I want to be 100% certain that the vehicle/frame are up to the task... thus my frustration with Coachmen's listed ratings, and lack of useful response.
RV_ThereYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #18

Coachman rated it at 4000 lbs and that is where its at, for you to go beyond that you should have a welder reinforce the back added extension and a upgraded hitch, but I still would not go much beyond 5500 lbs.

I towed 1800 lbs beyond what Fleetwood rated my rv but like I said the whole back extension was redone very robust and a 7500 lb hitch, I towed 6800 lb small stacker trailer for 3 years no issues but now back to flat towing a Toyota Tacoma.
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:26 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Following this thread and haven't seen anywhere that the OP stated the weight numbers actually attached to the coach certified by the manufacturer.(my apologizes if I missed it) Seems to be using manual literature instead of manufacturers label. That label is the only capacity that matters by law. Any changes would have to be recertified by the manufacturer.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Sorry I can't help with the OP's dilemma but I did want to add to the validity of Hooligan's reply concerning axle capacities. Our motorhome has 11k and 6k rated axles but only has a 15k GVWR. It's obvious to me that the lower limit is caused by something else on the chassis such as springs or maybe even the frame itself.
Agreed. My 2020 F53 has 9K front, 15.5K rear, but only 24K total.

In addition, the GCWR is 30K, meaning I could tow up to 6K, but they only put a 5K hitch on it!!! Maddening.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow. GCWR... this is always a big talk,,, ....

Manufactures that add and extensions to the rear sections will downgrade the hitch.... it is called CYA...

Anyone towing with a Class a b c .. should load up the RV read to travel.. get each axle weighted and then you have data to atleast consider your, tow.. otherwise you have no basis even for a real discussion.. Many times the rear axle is close to capacity leaving wery little tongue weight, yes flat tow a toad is just add on weight but....

17 inch is not horrible.. for an add on,, some Classs c have 40-60" added..

The butt weld and inside fishplate is normal. longer add ons may also have an out side partial channel.. My C Class with 52: add on has extra gusset.. It is limited to 3500..

I have seen the rear sections break many times.. I travel to off road events an RV tow in lots of trailers.. every few months you see the mess...

NOW personally I cheated.. I added some steel.. and watch my RV load and Trailer loading.. My load can be 4500-5800.. Tongue I max at 600 puts my rear axle at max if I dump some fluids..
1. I am carefull on dirt roads, dips and bumps..
2. I check the frame,body mounts after each trip that avgs 350-500 miles..

My previous shorter RV with 24: extensions ,, did 68K towing those loads , no mods as it was channeled nicely..

My minnie 29.4 ft.. is longer and trailer is on a diet, put around 5k last year on it and good.. my last tow of that trailer is in 2 weeeks then it is solo or just the smaller trailer 3k max.

Good luck and that chassis should flat tow 5k all day,, IMO
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, tow, towing, upgrade