Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Towing horse trailer

We are wanting to move from our LQ horse trailer and a camper to a Diesel pusher. Not concerned about towing capacity as much as maneuverability. Looking a used Monaco 40ft. But with a wheel spread of 270", we are concerned about those curves and tight horse camping spots.
Anyone out there horse camp with a larger wheel base?
mtdeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

A 40' RV with a long trailer will take some scanning ahead when fueling and turning tight corners. I don't understand, "But with a wheel spread of 270" 270 inches is 22.5ft. Surely your trailer doesn't have a width of 22.5'?

Many RVs tow trailers (closed car haulers, etc.) longer than 22.5', but the distance from hitch to axles might be different. Many states put length of tow vehicle and trailer at 65', but I don't know of anyone being stopped if they exceed that limit.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:31 PM   #3

We haven't horse camped, but we used to dry camped in some pretty tight places with our 43' coach and 26' enclosed trailer and been in some RV parks that looked too tight to get in, but we did. Slow and easy does it. There are just some really tight turns you can't make, but with a little pre scouting, you can usually find a way to get where you need to be. We now pull a 20' open trailer and go where ever we want to.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
My rig is 45' plus a car and I go places most with 40' rigs would not Fortunately I can backup without unhitching...like you can with a trailer. Often I have to make a 2 point turn by turning to late to make the turn, then you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction before backing up a little (not enough to jackknife/hit the trailer) and then complete the turn. Have even had to backup 2 times to make the turn.
Backing a trailer is a lot easier than you might think because of the long overhang off the back of a MH.
Here is how I can backup: http://http://www.irv2.com/attachments/customprofilepics/profilepic234609_3.gif
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:15 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Most every tow bar builder says NEVER back up with a car attached by a tow bar.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post

A 40' RV with a long trailer will take some scanning ahead when fueling and turning tight corners. I don't understand, "But with a wheel spread of 270" 270 inches is 22.5ft. Surely your trailer doesn't have a width of 22.5'?

Many RVs tow trailers (closed car haulers, etc.) longer than 22.5', but the distance from hitch to axles might be different. Many states put length of tow vehicle and trailer at 65', but I don't know of anyone being stopped if they exceed that limit.
I think what OP is referring to is wheel base. (Said wheel spread) 270” is about normal for a 40’ coach.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

It takes a little getting used to it but you will be fine. I just have my son get out with the cell phones to spot me when backing and turning tight. 30 years ago all we had was a pickup and small trailer. Many racers are using 70+ foot long rigs now and it makes it a challenge for some of the smaller race tracks to get everyone parked.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-02-2018, 03:09 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My manufacturer...me says I can. You might want to click on the link I provided.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
My manufacturer...me says I can. You might want to click on the link I provided.
Hey now, that's cheatin'.... But I like the way you think!
Old 09-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Hey now, that's cheatin'.... But I like the way you think!
A added benefit is I get to discuss how many axles I have on the ground with the toll booth person, especially in NY, where I've had them walk back and look after I said I had $100 that I was not a lair with only 4 axles on the ground. Must be a bunch of cheaters in NY as twice I've had them go look.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:47 AM   #12

Quote:
That's what they say and probably most should not try it. I've had to do it a few times with my Blue Ox 10,000# bar. Just slow and only slight turns works fine. Just be careful not to let the toad wheels turn and put things in a bind. It's safer if you collapse the arms first.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer