Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

Question Towing length problem....

So my boat/trailer is 32 feet long and weighs ~10,000lbs on trailer. I'm struggling to find an RV, that will pull 10K, at a length of 33' or less so I don't exceed the 65feet max towing length laws. Any ideas??? Can't seem to find a Class A diesel that small and most class C's won't tow that much weight except the Super C's but they are 34' or longer. How do all the Class A's deal with the 65' max when pulling a race trailer or something?

I sold the motorhome in my signature approx 3 years ago when I moved to Texas for work. Now back in Oregon and RV shopping. Tired of having to take two rigs and having a buddy drive my truck and boat.....
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #2

I understand your concern for staying under 65'. That is the law in many states. That said, My coach is 44' long and I used to pull a 26' enclosed trailer. My combined length was 73'. I towed it from the midwest to all western states except WA and OR. I was never stopped for any reason. CA has an overlength permit available for a small fee. My sons rig is 75' long. In our group of retired Jeeping friends several of them are over 65' in length. I've met RVers from NY on their way to the races in Vegas with stacker trailers that were 80' long. CA is the only state they get a permit. For some reason, LEO's seem to overlook RVer lengths. That's not to say they won't start but, in my 10 years of towing over length, I have never been questioned. They have other more important issues to deal with. I have found that if all other more important safety laws are followed, LEO won't normally bother you over length. Pick a DP in the 38-40' length for safety and the ability to tow your trailer. At 70', you'll blend in with many others on the road.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 02:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As an ex LEO, I can tell you it’s never a problem until it is a problem. Will you get pulled over for simply being over length? Probably not. Will you be sighted if you get into an accident? Maybe. Will you be civilly liable for improperly operating a motor vehicle illegally once you get in an accident? You betcha. Ambulance chasers look for every angle.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

The lawyers are my exact concern. High net worth, safe responsible individual, but don't want a technicality to cost me $1mill payout for what is usually a 4 wheelers fault.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

I never heard of the 65 foot law. Does anyone have a link or more information as to what states have this law.

I got that CA does.

Thanks much!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #6

The OP asked: How do all the Class A's deal with the 65' max when pulling a race trailer or something? As I stated, we go with the length we have, operate well within the speed laws, load limit laws and do not attract attention by operating in a safe manor. I'm not aware of any RV accident being caused by being over the 65' limit. I personally do not know of any of our many overlength friends even getting a citation for it. If the OP wants to stay under 65', a 33' DP is your only option to pull a 32' 10,000# boat, or continue to take two vehicles. It's a personal decision. Good Luck
Old 07-12-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

There are some Super C's that are under your length limit with 10,000 pound towing capacity.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:31 PM   #8

All of the "true" super C's are 34' or greater. I really don't want to replace my boat (get smaller) so looking hard at other options. Dynamax makes a 32' Class C (not really a super C) on a cummins 5500 truck chassis. There is only two of us so that works....i'm only inside when bed time anywhay. Sacrificing the benefits of the class A (pass through storage, panoramic windshield, etc.) is worth the benefits of 4x4 (boondocking) and not having to take two rigs to lake. It is a diesel 4x4 model so I can get out in the dunes if I choose which is nice and will stay under legal towing limits. Just made an offer!
Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
If it was me, I would not worry about the length, even if I stretched out to 75ft
Old 07-12-2020, 11:40 PM   #10

I am not sure about current production Super C's but there have certainly been some in the past that are under 33 ft, I know a guy that owns one, it is on the Chevy Kodiak chassis, a 2007 Gulfstream Conquest, they have a 10,000 pound hitch, though you may be limited to less towing capacity depending on how you are loaded due to GCWR.

I suspect there are others. It looks like Gulfstream offered the same coach on the heavier International 4200 chassis in 2008, though I don't know how many were built, though based on the brochure it was offered in 2 floor plans measuring in under 33 feet.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The other problem is that shorter length coaches also have smaller engines. You can get a Kountry Star or Ventana as short as 34' but it comes with 360 hp and a 5,000 lb towing capacity. To get the 400 hp with 15,000 towing you have to be 40' or longer taking you out to 73+'
Old 07-13-2020, 05:35 AM   #12

I had a thread going a month ago about my train. Double towing a car and a drift boat. I am at 73 ft. In my first tow down I-25, I passed to state patrols that were sitting on the hwy in my first 30 minutes of travel and they didn't bat an eye. Better yet the rig towed incredibly well. Had to take it down a very steep hair pin road to get over a dam and it was a piece of cake. FYI, we have a 70ft max in Co.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #13

The OP is concerned about protecting his assets and rightly so. Like many others, I carry a 2 mil umbrella policy above the 500,000 base policy. According to my policy, if I am the cause of an accident it will pay up to the limits of coverage. There is no exception for speeding, reckless driving, failing to yield ROW, drunk driving, or being overlength. Any civil case would have to prove that the extra length was the contributing cause. I'm currently 68' long when towing my open trailer and will continue to do so until I can't. With proper maintenance, I can think of no reason being 70' long poses any more risk than 65'. I'm not sure I would want to tow a 32' 10,000# trailer with the short wheel base of a 33' Super C. As I said before, it's a personal decision.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a link to the states length limits.
https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/

“Any civil case would have to prove that the extra length was the contributing cause”
You are incorrect. All that they would have to prove is that you were in violation of the law and illegally operating your motor vehicle on the roadway. As such you should not have been on the road. That is adequate to prove contributory negligence.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, tow, towing