Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
We have been towing at 65' plus for the past 25 years and haven't had any issues. Granted everything we've done has been South Dakota and west plus up into Canada but no issues. Our current coach with our last trailer was 72' overall length and the only issues we were starting to have was finding sites long enough and campgrounds/RV parks that were arranged in such a manner that allowed entrance/egress as most of the older ones had quite narrow interior roads. This was mainly during hop, skip and jump trips as when we traveled to a specific destination for longer term we made sure to have reservations that would accommodate our overall length.

As for actual traveling, fueling and pulling off for short breaks/lunches no issues whatsoever, even going through places like Teton NP or Yellowstone NP.

I will admit that we sold our 26' enclosed race trailer about 5 years ago as we no longer race. We had always balanced between trailering the Jeep and flat towing it and obviously always towed the trailer when the race toys were inside, however, after not needing the trailer for racing we sold it and now just flat tow the Jeep as it is so much more travel friendly.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #16

Any 18-wheeler with a 53' trailer is easily over 65' combined.

With out F150 towed we are about 65' (42' for the coach, 19' for the towed, and a bit under 4' for the tow bar setup).

Keep it at/under 65' (the legal combined length in many states) and you'll likely never get pulled over for being over length.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Any 18-wheeler with a 53' trailer is easily over 65' combined.
That's not true. The reason for 53' is that is the maximum length that the current semi tractor design can pull and remain under 65'. Any combination over 65' with require an oversize permit of get a citation. That law is enforced on commercial trucks.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:20 PM   #18

LOVE "We will be traveling with scary dogs and have a low tolerance for legal hassles and raining on your parade" Well said, but as others posted you will be fine and drive sensibly for Most cops wouldn't know the regulations.Don't give them a reason to pull you over.Safe travels and enjoy
"
daddude1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 01:31 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
That's not true. The reason for 53' is that is the maximum length that the current semi tractor design can pull and remain under 65'. Any combination over 65' with require an oversize permit of get a citation. That law is enforced on commercial trucks.
I'm gonna argue this - there is a lot of variation in tractor design from the short local haulers to the extended cab with sleepers. I think some of them are going to be over 65' but law enforcement may look the other way as long as the trailer is placarded as a 53'.
Old 02-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I'm gonna argue this - there is a lot of variation in tractor design from the short local haulers to the extended cab with sleepers. I think some of them are going to be over 65' but law enforcement may look the other way as long as the trailer is placarded as a 53'.
The sleeper cap style is what the 53' trailer length will work with. Remember that the measurement added to the trailer length starts at the front of the trailer and can be 12' to the front bumper. Truck/trailer manufacturers would not sell a combination that was illegal all states.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:08 PM   #21

Quote:
The sleeper cap style is what the 53' trailer length will work with. Remember that the measurement added to the trailer length starts at the front of the trailer and can be 12' to the front bumper. Truck/trailer manufacturers would not sell a combination that was illegal all states.
I missed that...good point.

Regardless, I don't think police go out of their way to ticket RV's for being over length.

Although, I've seem some motorhomes towing trucks which are in turn towing boats that should be ticketed...have to wonder how they navigate tight turns!!!
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm at 63' combined and have traveled all over the lower 48. Never had a problem.

We spent a month in New England leaf peeping and nobody complained.

You'll see guys towing big enclosed vans behind motorhomes and they have to be 75 or 80 feet combined and no one seems to care.

I don't think you'll have a problem.
Never heard of leaf peeping, but it sounds very interesting. Can you elaborate?
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile Marker 42 View Post
Never heard of leaf peeping, but it sounds very interesting. Can you elaborate?
New England is the most beautiful spot in the world during the fall when all the leaves change color.

People flock to the area to take a peek at the fall colors and they are called leaf peepers
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
I missed that...good point.

Regardless, I don't think police go out of their way to ticket RV's for being over length.

Although, I've seem some motorhomes towing trucks which are in turn towing boats that should be ticketed...have to wonder how they navigate tight turns!!!
The number of RV's over 65' is so small and as long as they are driving within the law, it would be highly unlikely to get stopped by a LEO. A State Patrol officer told me that he personally won't stop an RV just because it looks over length. As long as they are driving responsibly, he's ok with it. He's just one officer, but probably not the only one with that approach.
Old 02-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
New England is the most beautiful spot in the world during the fall when all the leaves change color.

People flock to the area to take a peek at the fall colors and they are called leaf peepers
Not at all what I was imagining, but makes perfect sense.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:13 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
We are 65' total and have been all over the country with no problem.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:33 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Depends on the state... also get familiar with the STAA designated highways.. and truck/semi trailer access rules.. [ RV's are also able to claim the exemptions.. again depending on state..] I ran a 53' semi and pulled it with a 300 inch wheelbase Pererbilt..no probleemoe Senior!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:39 PM   #28

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm 67', and have been side by side in rest area's with many semi's that are longer than me.
Never mind the B-trains.

Tags
tow, towing