Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2022, 07:55 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
Anyone have any experience towing cross-country with longer "rigs"? It looks like 60' combined is the only lower-48 legal option. I get the impression that Illinois might allow 65' on main roads (Class I & Class II roads - whatever that means) -- and we'd be passing through there fairly regularly in the future, but right now we're planning a trip out to pick up a car south of Boston and it looks like I'd be passing through multiple states with 60' combined limits for RVs (Connecticut and Massachusetts at least). I don't see much wiggle room in the statutes I looked at for Massachusetts; I didn't even see accommodation for impact bumpers.

I'm 40', the hitch tucks under to save a few inches, and I'd like to take a trailer that's 21.5' overall. We'd be at least 61' which... feels like it would be well within the range of "close enough" ...unless the enforcement is just constantly on the lookout for this stuff? For me, I think I could make a fairly convincing argument that the slideout nose of my coach is an impact bumper and shouldn't be counted but... I'm still thinking that doesn't buy me a foot. We'll be traveling with "scary" dogs and... I have a low tolerance for legal hassles so I don't want anyone raining on my parade.

I'm just curious if anyone has much experience in this area.
Check what the state you are licensed in for legal length. On the interstates you can run whatever length is allowed in your state. For example if you are licensed in Wyoming you can run way more than 60’
I have towed a 32’ trailer behind my 45’ coach through many states and never had a problem.
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2022, 08:14 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Don’t go thru California, but who would want to?
Old 02-06-2022, 11:12 PM   #59

A few years back I towed a 32’ double stacker with a 6’ tongue behind a 38’ American Dream. My son and I traveled all over the country racing and never had any stops or issues. Other racers told us to stay out of California and we would be fine. Click image for larger version

Name:	36C94C51-BCB4-4E8C-B050-84A871B1DF02.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	355767

2002 Newmar Dutch Star 36’ - Cummins ISC 8.3 350 hp- Spartan Chassis -
3000MH Allison….2003 Jeep WranglerX
1320Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #60

CA is not a problem. A $13 permit is available online (CADOT) and good for 7 days. It can be renewed as well. You have to drive on their selected roads to get to your destination. Just keep it at 55 mph and no problems. We have used it a couple of times as has my son.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #61

Over the limit?

Enforcement is the key. As others have said “drive sanely, obey road laws” should not be a problem.
Over ten years towing a 34’ (ball to ramp door) car trailer with a 36’ DP.

MAkes A 70’ oa rig. Careful is the key. Truck stops and busy Walmarts stops ate a bear.
Safe travels
Wayneq85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:46 AM   #62
gjh

I have been told by THP that as long as you don't have commercial tags on tow vehicle. there is no length limit.

GH
gjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #63

What were you and your son racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Racer View Post
A few years back I towed a 32’ double stacker with a 6’ tongue behind a 38’ American Dream. My son and I traveled all over the country racing and never had any stops or issues. Other racers told us to stay out of California and we would be fine. Attachment 355767
We are part of this outfit, Racing-Engineering.com.

As for LEOs and RVs, outside of SoCal, only good experiences. Most Cops are so overworked and most RVers are well past the age of causing trouble....
...Unless you are in SoCal, Orange County could be the worst. We were ticketed for avoiding an accident. I moved over to the carpool lane to avoid a multi car pile up, No way to stop before slamming into the pile of cars already crashed. OC Deputy chased us down and ticketed us for illegal entry into carpool lane.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #64

Freightliner Owners Club
I am running 72 feet long. I never had anyone question it. If you are simply driving a vehicle and pulling a single car hauler-type trailer, hook up and go. Don't worry. They will most likely not even notice you.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:33 PM   #65

Damon Owners Club
My understanding is that you are bound by the vehicle code from your home state vehicle registration the same as you are required endorsements on your drivers license. What your state has for requirements is accepted by any of the other states through reciprocity, the practice of exchanging things with others for mutual benefit, especially privileges granted by one country or state.

Have never seen State police setup traffic inspection to entrap out of state drivers except for commercial vehicles inspection stations, does not apply to personal vehicle for pleasure use.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:43 AM   #66

Rv/trailer excessive length

We have a HR endeavor 40 ft that measures 41 ft. We tow a 20 ft enclosed trailer. We were at 65 ft overall. Last year we lengthened the tongue by 14 inches for a 66 ft overall length.

We have had no problems with law enforcement. I think if you drive reasonably there is not many people that notice the length of the rig if you act reasonably.

We have been all over the us without a problem. Only finding camping spots that can allow us an easy in and out.

RV safe
Scooter
Scooter363y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing