Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Toyo M154 or M143

I hate posting this since there is a million tire threads out there but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was going to go with Toyo tires this time around 245/70R19.5 and was wondering what the opinion was on these two models? They both have the same load rating. Thanks in advance!
PuebloPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 01:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuebloPete View Post
I hate posting this since there is a million tire threads out there but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I was going to go with Toyo tires this time around 245/70R19.5 and was wondering what the opinion was on these two models? They both have the same load rating. Thanks in advance!
The only difference between the two is the tread pattern. For an RV I would prefer the M143 tread pattern to give better wet weather performance.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

Other subtle differences from Toyo specifications are:

M154 will give slightly better mileage as they are designed for maximum fuel efficiency ...not a huge factor for RV use, however

Fuel efficiency rating from Toyo for M154 = 5.0

Fuel efficiency rating from Toyo for M143 = 4.0

M143 will give slight better tread life ...again, not a factor for RV use,

Tread life rating from Toyo for M143 = 4.0

Tread life rating from Toyo for M154 = 3.0

M154 will give slight better traction,

Traction rating from Toyo for M154 = 3.0

Traction rating from Toyo for M143 = 2.5

M154 has a significantly better cut/chip resistance rating,

Cut/chip resistance rating from Toyo for M154 = 4.0

Cut/chip resistance rating from Toyo for M143 = 2.5

Price generally, I believe, will be pretty close. Last I checked, the M143 was just slightly higher priced

(eta: the above is correct pertaining to price as I just checked Simple Tire prices and in your size the M154 is $360.27 and the M143 is 368.37 so for example, the difference for 6 tires would be $48.60 ($8.10 per tire difference)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

I really like Toyo tires. I have the bigger tires then what you want, but they are M-154 and they are excellent tires. Smooth ride and I have not had any problems with cupping or rivering, the tread wears even on my coach. Mine are 22.5 tires size 265x75 I believe. But to answer your question they are very good tires.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #5

I went with the 154s and have no regrets....after 3K plus miles.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The 143’s are an excellent choice for your 19.5 rim size. I have been running them for seven years on the rear, and four years on the front of our motor home which is on a Workhorse W-20 chassis. Quiet, smooth riding, long even wearing tire.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
M-154's here on 22.5 Alcoas... going on 9 years.... no cracks no problems great purchase
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #8

Thank you all for your comments. I was going to go with the M154s but they seem to be hard to find in my area or I have to drive 30 minutes to a place that has them, but one of the local tire people can get the M143s. Good price at $297. FYI, I had pondered on buying them from Simple tire, but man there are a lot of horror stories out there about them and when I called it was a 30 minute wait to talk to someone.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you all for your comments. I was going to go with the M154s but they seem to be hard to find in my area or I have to drive 30 minutes to a place that has them, but one of the local tire people can get the M143s. Good price at $297. FYI, I had pondered on buying them from Simple tire, but man there are a lot of horror stories out there about them and when I called it was a 30 minute wait to talk to someone.
make sure date tags are current on the tires you buy..
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I second the Date comment.

Call before you go there and ask for date codes.
If they cannot provide dates that is a poor sign
If you just go and then ask about dates it is too late in my opinion.
Your options are then very limited.

I have TOYO's and have found them excellent.
Just not your size on my DP.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
For RV use, either will be just fine and you'll be making a good decision as it sounds like you are getting them for a good price.

No, I wasn't trying to nudge you into using Simple Tire. I just pulled it up to compare prices between the two models you were attempting to compare as on a Google search, their prices are displayed without even opening their webpage. I agree that they do have a lot of complaints and even their prices are not the best.

You're making a good choice, enjoy the ride.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #12

So I've now had my Toyos for about 1200 miles. They do ride smooth. But I do have a complaint. Then tend to wander around. Kind of like your getting blown by the wind and you have to keep correcting but there isn't any wind.
I didn't have that with the Goodyears that were on there. Anyone experience that? I've checked my pressures and set them to the recommended 92 psi. When I had them put on they were around 104.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #13

Quote:
So I've now had my Toyos for about 1200 miles. They do ride smooth. But I do have a complaint. Then tend to wander around. Kind of like your getting blown by the wind and you have to keep correcting but there isn't any wind.
I didn't have that with the Goodyears that were on there. Anyone experience that? I've checked my pressures and set them to the recommended 92 psi. When I had them put on they were around 104.
Did you wonder with the 104 air pressure?
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Did you wonder with the 104 air pressure?
Yes, the first time I drove it was horrible. Like I was on ice. Its hard to explain, like an input steering response delay, more like you drift to the right so you correct it and nothing happens and you keep correcting until it grabs, then shoots the other way and you constantly do that.

I think it is better now and especially that I put some miles on it, but still wanders a bit.