Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

TPMS - advantage of flow through model

Can anyone provide input on the advantage of a flow through TPMS model vs the cons? We will need to have 10 sensors for 40' DP plus toad.
BethGreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

When you need to add air you don't have to unscrew locking screw / locking nuts and remove the sensor cap. After only a couple of months of owning a non-flow through system I wish I had spent the extra money, as it turns a 30 second tire topping off into a 5 minute ordeal.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethGreer View Post
Can anyone provide input on the advantage of a flow through TPMS model vs the cons? We will need to have 10 sensors for 40' DP plus toad.
I have the EEZRV system non-flow through. Needs a special tool to take sensor off. Very easy to do and takes about 5 seconds. I specifically bought the non-flow through because of the issues I've heard from other people complaining that the air goes in very slow with the flow through. Honestly don't know if true or not but thats what I did. Been happy with it for 2 yrs. I have 12 sensors because my PU is equipped also. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My suggestion is to go with the non-flow thru.

First, I rarely (if ever) need to add air. So there is no taking on or off the sensors, except at the end of the season if you want to save battery life.

Second, I had nothing but trouble with my flow thru sensors. After days of working they would mysteriously and randomly 'drop off', and no longer be picked up by main unit. The seals would leak, and I would find moisture inside the units. After about a year and a half of futzing around with them and having sent back for repair/replacement a couple times, they finally replaced with the non-flow thru caps. Those have been rock solid.

Unscrewing a nonflow thru cap unit to add air if you want is not much different in time than unscrewing a plastic cap on a regular tire stem. I keep the security cap on (so you need a little wrench to remove), but if you wanted you can take the security cap off and then unscrew the unit by hand if you wanted.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I never could understand the point of the security caps. Who would want to steal them unless you had a system and needed one, If you have a system you have the security wrench.

I have never taken my off during the off season? I thought they went to sleep without movement?
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had flow through. Went away from them. They were slow to fill, and a couple failed. Not user changeable batteries. Could not use on the front wheels or the toad due to space constraints.

Now have have ten regulars without locks. Just treat them like a cap. Much better, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I had flow through. Went away from them. They were slow to fill, and a couple failed. Not user changeable batteries. Could not use on the front wheels or the toad due to space constraints.

Now have have ten regulars without locks. Just treat them like a cap. Much better, IMHO.
With the exception that the TST flow through sensor batteries are user replaceable...

AGREE 100%!

I found them also to be easy to break off and the battery covers cracked easily.

HOWEVER...TST took great care of me during the whole process.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

I think what we have here is the story of 3 blind men describing an Elephant. On my unit the non-flow through sensors are held down to the valve stem with 3 set screws on each sensor, getting an allen wrench in there to loosen tiny those set screws takes some time, doing it without unscrewing them all the way and dropping them takes even more. Other models seem to use a single backing nut to hold the sensors in place, I can see those as being faster to remove when air is needed.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywolf View Post
I never could understand the point of the security caps. Who would want to steal them unless you had a system and needed one, If you have a system you have the security wrench.

I have never taken my off during the off season? I thought they went to sleep without movement?
When I was a PressurPro distributor/dealer we did have one customer that has sensors were stolen at night. His monitor did sound the alarm but he turned it off thinking the tire pressure had gone down as the tires cooled. Only one I've ever known of.
Present rig came with the SmarTire internal system. The sensors were still good even after 8 years so I had new sensors installed when I got new tires. Costly at $80 each and $45 for programming but well worth it IMHO. Also have a TST 507 system that I will install on the CR-V when I get to traveling more. Have two cap and four flow through sensors. The flow through sensors would stick out too far so will have to buy a couple more cap sensors.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I have flow through on the RV and non-flow on the toad. The flow through are just too big for our toad. EEZ-Tire swapped 4 of them for free. I have had no leak-down issues.

Pressure Pro system that was on it had leak down issues even though they were non-flow. And then the batteries started dying, and it was going to cost me as much for new sensors at the whole new EEZ-RV system I bought.

EEZ-Tire system flow-through has user-replaceable batteries.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:37 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went with flow thru on the MH after reading of o ring failures after removing the sensors a number of times. I have no idea if that is true but I thought it might be a problem. I don't have to add air very often but have no problem doing so. I don't remove the sensors when in storage as we are normally using the MH every 2 or 3 weeks.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't pretend to have as much experience as others posting, but I had a TST 507 Flow Through system installed on the 6 22.5" tires on my Journey DP 13 months ago. I have had some intermittent problems with two of them, but all but one were working as of yesterday. Replaced the battery in the dead one tonight, now they are all working again. I will say I have taken tire pressure up and down several times over the last year, and not had any problem adding or purging air with the Flow Through's on. What I do NOT like about these sensors is the two set screws that are next to impossible to tighten / loosen. I go back and forth about whether I should have gotten non-flow-through caps instead, but am overall happy with the choice. I concur with other comments that they do tend to stick out a bit, but it hasn't been a problem so far. It is nice that the batteries are cheap (on Amazon) and easy to replace (after set screws are loosened). I think I am going to remove all the set screws in the next month while replacing all the coin batteries. Has anyone else done this, will they come loose and fall off? Is it realistic to assume someone would actually steal them? I think if anyone really wanted to steal them, they could unscrew them and strip the valve stem even with the set screws on - creating another potentially more expensive problem.

In summary, if your confident you don't need to adjust air pressure, you are fine with the sealed caps. If you you move between cold and warm climates and modify air pressure though, they are very nice to have. I really don't believe they incur a higher risk of leaking than any other system, they all have seals that can go bad, as is also the case with the stems.
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do not lock mine (flow thru) on and haven't lost one due to theft or it coming loose on it's own.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EEZRV system here. I took the security covers off and simply screwed them on the valve stems. I think they are lighter than the flow thrus. Don't have to add air that often, but its really no different that removing the valve stem cap from the flow thrus. You are going to remove one or the other.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote