Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I have been RV'g for about 13 years and prior to this year had used the conventionl method of checking air pressure before each trip and thumping each tire when stopped for a rest break. As many experienced RVer's know this is risky, because you are defenseless once you start driving. Once you witness the extensive and costly damages that a blown tire can do to a nice, expensive coach, you will immediately rethink your process of how to monitor your tire pressure.

This spring I purchased a TST 507 system for my RV and tow vehicle and could not be happier with the product and the excellent customer support by TST. With a TPMS, I now have the confindence and peace of mind that I am able to constantly monitor the tire pressure and temperature during my entire trip. These are a wonderful addition to any RV driving experience, and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Yukon Jack
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
This spring I purchased a TST 507 system for my RV and tow vehicle and could not be happier with the product and the excellent customer support by TST. With a TPMS, I now have the confindence and peace of mind that I am able to constantly monitor the tire pressure and temperature during my entire trip. These are a wonderful addition to any RV driving experience, and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Yukon Jack

Bought mine a month or so ago...great addition! It probably bailed me out on the first week after I added braided valve extensions. I was SURE I seated them properly and would have ASSUMED my brand new, left inside dual was fine.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larnie View Post
Ken. With 10 tires, are you driving a semi tractor?
I would think he is like many, and has a MH with 6 and pulling a toad with 4, a total of 10.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I just did a bunch of research on all this, myself, and a lot of reading on these forums. Based on others' experiences, I came to the conclusion that I absolutely did want one for our new rig (and first Class A), and I also wanted to ensure we could monitor our future Jeep toad as well (again, based on others' recommendations to make sure we included the toad).

We are primarily weekender/vacation travelers, so I also wanted something that would do the job well, but was also reasonably priced, and easy to use.

I, like one of the other posters, also ended up with Tire Tracker (which I believe is the same system that Camping World has marketed under "Tire Minder", and is also marketed under 'Hawkshead'). You can change your own batteries on these (they have external sensors that attach to the valve stems).

I went with the 'Tire Tracker' branded one because it had the best price of the three and the longest warranty. I also got the battery-operated signal amplifier, just to be extra safe that we help mitigate any wireless signal loss.

TireTraker TPMS

No actual experience using it just yet, but at the end of the day, I think you can't go terribly wrong with any of them. Great added safety precaution!

Hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you decide!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I just did a bunch of research on all this, myself, and a lot of reading on these forums. Based on others' experiences, I came to the conclusion that I absolutely did want one for our new rig (and first Class A), and I also wanted to ensure we could monitor our future Jeep toad as well (again, based on others' recommendations to make sure we included the toad).

We are primarily weekender/vacation travelers, so I also wanted something that would do the job well, but was also reasonably priced, and easy to use.

I, like one of the other posters, also ended up with Tire Tracker (which I believe is the same system that Camping World has marketed under "Tire Minder", and is also marketed under 'Hawkshead'). You can change your own batteries on these (they have external sensors that attach to the valve stems).

I went with the 'Tire Tracker' branded one because it had the best price of the three and the longest warranty. I also got the battery-operated signal amplifier, just to be extra safe that we help mitigate any wireless signal loss.

TireTraker TPMS

No actual experience using it just yet, but at the end of the day, I think you can't go terribly wrong with any of them. Great added safety precaution!

Hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you decide!
What is the highest tire pressure that this unit can detect?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I too would highly recommend a TPMS for all the reasons stated.

I would highly recommend that you buy anything but the Doran 360. I've had a never ending stream of replacing defective sensor units.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post

I believe it's 25% above the baseline that you set. There's more detail in the FAQs here if you wanted to take a look: TireTraker TPMS

Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
OK, I'm sold! I'm ordering the TireTracker system with 10 sesors monday. For $429 with free shipping and a 3-year warranty, I don't think I need to look further. Thanks for the info guys!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
"The TireTraker™ TT-400C is a full-time wireless electronic tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) designed to monitor and display tire pressures from 0 psi up to 145 psi, and also to monitor tire temperatures from 14°F to 185°F. The system is capable of displaying current tire pressure and temperature."

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
"The TireTraker™ TT-400C is a full-time wireless electronic tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) designed to monitor and display tire pressures from 0 psi up to 145 psi, and also to monitor tire temperatures from 14°F to 185°F. The system is capable of displaying current tire pressure and temperature."

Thanks - was moving too fast and didn't read that correctly.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #25

I installed a tpms last week. I purchased the unit from eezrvproducts. The system arrived with the sensors already entered into the receiver and labeled for position. All in all a 30 minute install. First trip with it today, 120 miles, 94 degrees, some stop and go on I65. It was interesting watching the pressure up and down depending on speed and temps as well. Think this will be a good investment to help insure safe travels.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to rant on this subject, just a personal comment and point of view.
OK, I've read everyone's comments and do agree, that after entering any road anything CAN happen. As any seasoned traveller does not one check tires at every stop, wheel nuts and leaks underneath? I have a hard time to justify the prices of these systems offered and their claims they make. As an old trucker, one checks tire age/ware, road one drives on and most of all how fast you drive. Yes there is a cost factor on damage done by a blow-out, but there is also a cost factor on ignoring common sense. Tires on RV's are to be run at 65 MPH, not 70-80 as I've seen done. Sorry speed = heat and that causes blowouts with low air pressure. Remember "slow down to see tomorrow", we are RV'ers not Race Veterans.
buttster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttster View Post
OK, I've read everyone's comments and do agree, that after entering any road anything CAN happen. As any seasoned traveller does not one check tires at every stop, wheel nuts and leaks underneath? I have a hard time to justify the prices of these systems offered and their claims they make. As an old trucker, one checks tire age/ware, road one drives on and most of all how fast you drive. Yes there is a cost factor on damage done by a blow-out, but there is also a cost factor on ignoring common sense. Tires on RV's are to be run at 65 MPH, not 70-80 as I've seen done. Sorry speed = heat and that causes blowouts with low air pressure. Remember "slow down to see tomorrow", we are RV'ers not Race Veterans.
Not a rant at all. Actually I don't disagree with anything you've said... although I might come to a different conclusion on what action I choose to take.

There is a real danger in having a TPMS IMHO. One can easily begin to feel that they have made a purchase which absolves them of having to worry about their tires anymore and nothing could be farther from the truth.

Your comments on speed go without saying IMO too.

I think where we part ways is that I CAN justify the cost of a TPMS as just another tool to be added to my toolbox. It's all a matter of personal risk tolerance.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttster View Post
Fair enough...

I'm not sure that the issue is that folks want to go faster because they have TPMSs. That is not the case for me. Keep in mind that I have often said I am rather anal retentive and like all kinds of data so my TPMS sits right next to my ScanGauge II. LOL

I've heard lots of stories and came to the conclusion that a few hundred buck in a few key places is an investment in prevention. So, I have my TPMS, ScanGauge II and my Surge Protector. I suppose the total cost for these is in the area of about $1,000.

My point is that the data I can gather helps me better understand what is happening. I can balance the affects of tire pressure and temp and have a chance to see something develop before it lets loose. The few hundred bucks for my TPMS can help avoid the expenses that can be incurred to correct body damage from a bad blow out. I do understand that blow outs occur without warning but the odds are that there will be some indicators of tire malfunction before that happens.

My RV is not part of a fleet with fleet maintenance and support. I have me, my family, insurance and no desire to be delayed by preventable things. TPMS is just one part of my overall plan to protect my investment and my family to the maximum extent possible.

$.02 in a thousand words or more. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote