Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #1

TPMS Interference

I have had the TST 507 system for several years with great results. However, with my 26' enclosed trailer, I get sporadic reporting. I added a booster three years ago when I started pulling this trailer. The company suggested that the booster and monitor could be picking up interference from the alternator, remote thermometer, Atomic clock, etc as the frequencies are close. The booster is located high above the rear hatch opening. After 30 minutes with no update, the monitor will alert me. When I stop, and shut the engine off, it will update in a couple minutes, so something is interfering with the sensor signals.

What are others with the TST system doing??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

We have the atomic clock, refer transmitters, remote thermometer...no issues.
Are your batteries fresh?
Old 11-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

I put new batteries in all of them in Sept. I thought I might have a bad sensor, so reprogramed and exchanged it with one from the front tires. Same result. the rear right trailer position will not report regularly when traveling. It will report just fine even when it is parked over 100' from the motorhome, so I know it's a good sensor. Something is interfering with monitor/sensor communication when the engine is running.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Key issue you solved yourself, you shut off the engine and all is well. Tr moving the booster to the other side of the coach there in the rear, or even mounted on the fronbt of the trailer to move it further away from the alternator.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Key issue you solved yourself, you shut off the engine and all is well. Tr moving the booster to the other side of the coach there in the rear, or even mounted on the fronbt of the trailer to move it further away from the alternator.
I did move it to the right rear corner near the tail light assembly and it made no difference, so put it back in the upper center area. I wonder if there is a filter or suppressor that could be wired to the alternator much like we used to do for cb radio noise 40 years ago.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I mounted my booster in the bathroom which is mid coach. I don't have any problems. Try putting your booster on some alligator clips so you can move it around in your rig to different locations and see if that helps.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You can go to Radio Shack and by a 12v noise filter. I used them with CB radios to cut out the alternator noise. The filter is a simple wire in line with the 12v power wires affair. The cost of them is negligible so nothing ventured nothing gained.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Thanks. I'll try moving it and also the filter. When I called TST, she said when they install the systems, they put the booster in the battery compartment and it works well. My compartment is behind and below the driver. It's only 8-10 feet from the monitor, but they claim it does the job.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Crasher".....I would try moving it closer to the front of the coach. I bought the TST 507 unit and found that it was dropping out and alarming every so often. I was told the same thing by TST, about the thermometer and other interference. I disconnected everything using a signal and still had the issue. My coach is 40' long and finally bought the repeater. I mounted it mid coach, on a bay wall, next to some 12 volt power. All is working fine. I can't give you technical reasons, but I think the repeater needs to be closer to the dash unit than the furthest tire.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote