Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
I bought the TST 507 system. It did not work for me.

First reason...Too many false alarms. All of a sudden the alarms going off and you are in a panic to get to the side of the road safely. Only to find that there is nothing wrong.

Second reason...I cant hear the alarm AT ALL. DW will say there goes the tire thing again. It is a very high pitch beep that is out of my hearing range.

I would like to buy a TPMS that is more dependable, flow thru sensors and an alarm that I can hear. Any suggestions??

Know exactly what your going through. I have severe hearing loss at high freqs so I have to wear hearing aids to hear alarms. I wish the alarms were at lower freqs.

Just got home and I have two sensors on the toad that have weak batteries so I will replace them but it was not convient to do so in the cold mornings. What happens is you get battery alarms and after you acknowledge the audio alarm they may go off and then re-alarm again. These are actual alarms and not spurious. Normally my system alarms for a reason and I have not had any spurious alarms.

The biggest problem with these systems, in my opinion is when an alarm occurs by the time my eyes hit the screen it has cycled to the next tire and therefore I have to wait for a complete cycle to see what the alarm was. Not good.

I would like to see a larger display that displayed all the tires at once with a corresponding visual alarm without having to wait for another cycle to determine what alarmed.

Not ideal but I still would not leave home without my TPMS.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Greystroke...You would think that since most of the RVers are 50 to 70 years old, they would make something for us old guys with hearing impairment. I wear two and still cant hear the darn thing. I would welcome a flashing red light as an option.

I still have my 507 system and extender but its all in a zip-lock bag. I sent several sensors back to TST and they said they were alright, but swapped them anyway.

Smiller... Does the Tire Trakker/Minder have any visual alerts or flow-thru sensors?

I see that the Tire Safeguard does have the flow-thru design, but I dont know about the alert feature. Thanks for the replys guys!!
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
[QUOTE=Rockcrawler;1955352
Does the Tire Trakker/Minder have any visual alerts or flow-thru sensors?[/QUOTE] Tire Tracker does have a flashing red light in addition to the audible warning. I am not aware of their having any flow-thru sensors.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Hey Greystroke...You would think that since most of the RVers are 50 to 70 years old, they would make something for us old guys with hearing impairment. I wear two and still cant hear the darn thing. I would welcome a flashing red light as an option.
You can buy flow-thrus for your 507
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #33

I also use the TST system and find the system acceptable. It does a good job of monitoring pressure and temperature. The set up can be challenging the first time and every now and again I hit the wrong button trying to cycle through the tires or shut the thing off. I don't use a repeater on a 40' but I haven't tried them on the trailer yet. I also don't use the flow through caps.

I do like the fact that you can charge and disconnect the power cord.

Chris
atamians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #34

Just finished our first trip with the TST system and things went pretty well. I have the pass-thru caps for the coach and reg caps for the towed. Only concern is that the the flow-thru caps are about 3.5 to 4 lbs off--they read low [but within TST's "margin of error==5%"]. Accounting for the three lbs "adustment," I set the low alarm at 10% below and high alarm at 20% above desired/cold tire pressure. [Temps are factory set at industry std for high temps]. If alarm does go off, you can simply push the 3rd button on top of the display and the display cycles backwards to the offending tire. Think the issue of false alarms is a set-up or bat issue, hearing the alarm beeps will be more challenging to fix [smile].....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #35

Quote:

I still have my 507 system and extender but its all in a zip-lock bag. I sent several sensors back to TST and they said they were alright, but swapped them anyway.

Smiller... Does the Tire Trakker/Minder have any visual alerts or flow-thru sensors?

I see that the Tire Safeguard does have the flow-thru design, but I dont know about the alert feature. Thanks for the replys guys!!

I just purchased the Tire Safeguard system. It's somewhat easy to set-up when calling the help line. They are very good at helping. The stem flow thru sensors were the only way to go for me after looking at everything out there, and reading reviews in this forum. To answer your question, for the alerts there is not only the sound alert but a red light (visual) alert.

Cant speak about the long-tem reliability yet as it's a new system.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #36

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Tedgard. I will see if someone can teach me to read. I have hearing aids to help with my hearing problem. It doesnt fix the problem. What do you suppose you could use to help with your personality problem? I didnt think my post was out of line.
I guess I need to take my Prozac... A dry sense of humor is not easy to read without any body language to go along with it... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
USinvestment...it looks like the Tire-safeguard system may be just what I'm looking for? Flow thru sensors, visual alert and easy setup. I hope I can find someone to read the directions to me...real loud.

Tedgard01... you might want to see this thread..
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/why-d...ay-166974.html
Old 03-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #38

Carolina Campers
Be happy
Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Any suggestions??

Well, one suggestion may be.... If you can't hear, get hearing aids (lol)

Just dry humor...
Yeah...you're a real funny guy.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
So I guess my next move is to put my 507 system in the classifieds here on IRV2. Then order me a Tire-safeguard system. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #41

Carolina Campers
Thanks!
Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
I just purchased the Tire Safeguard system. It's somewhat easy to set-up when calling the help line. They are very good at helping. The stem flow thru sensors were the only way to go for me after looking at everything out there, and reading reviews in this forum.
Since the Tire Safeguard sensors also screw onto the valve stems then I don't see any advantage in being 'flow through'... there is no difference in the amount of effort to fill the tire (you still have to remove the valve cap, which is no less effort then removing a valve cap sensor) and the flow-through design only adds another unnecessary valve to the system, reducing reliability. It does appear that Tire Safeguard allows you to select either flow through or valve cap sensors and personally if I was purchasing that system I'd just order the valve cap sensors... simpler, more reliable, and no difference in effort to fill the tires.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote