Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #1

TPMS recommendations

Hi, I have a 40" DP and tow a large double axle enclosed trailer behind. After a blowout on the trailer and not knowing about it for several miles, I began thinking about a TPMS system for both the MH and the trailer. Has anyone added TPMS to a large rig like this with 10 tires? What brand did you select, and what results did you get? Is it reliable, etc. I see a lot of them on Amazon, but thought it would be better to start here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #2

I got this one on Amazon a year or so ago.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it a lot. They have other models for multiple tires, trailers etc. It comes with a powered repeater that sits on my trailer and is powered by the 12 volt battery. It's cheap, reliable and reacts pretty fast. You just unscrew it from the valve stem and the receiver head immediately shows an alarm.

It has a solar power and rechargeable battery. It never seems to go dead. The transmitters screw on your tire stems and activate when the tire starts to move. I think the batteries for the transmitter need to be replaced every year or two. Mine have been working for about 8 months now.

The only things I don't like about it are the display can be a bit difficult to read because it's small. The other thing is there is no confirmation it is receiving live data from the transmitters. Before I put the repeater on, only 3 tires were showing real numbers. I figured that out because it also gives you the tire temperatures and that last tire had a temp much lower than the others. Once I put the repeater in, it seems to work fine.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #3

TST = Truck Systems Technologies seems to have the best on the market today. It can monitor and report on up to 24 tires. The 507 model is flow-through sensors so you may add air pressure as required without removing the sensor.
Service, BTW is excellent.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #4

EEZ RV Products makes a reliable TPMS

We’ve had a EEZ RV Product TPMS (available through their website or Amazon) for the last three years and haven’t had any problems. They make a flow through and a non-flow thru sensor. I had to change the batteries after 20,000 miles. They also have excellent customer service.

For your length, I would purchase a repeater if you want reliable readings on the trailer or toad. There are both 12V and 120V models for you to choose from. Prior to the repeater, our toad tires would only register about 50% of the time.
raeburn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 AM   #5

The flow thru sensors look interesting. But they are only for metal valve stems so might not be for trailer. Huge $ difference between that and the cheapo I got on Amazon. Other than the display being on the small side I can't complain at all. The fast deflate alert seems to work pretty well (no flats yet, but if you unscrew the sensor the alarm goes off immediately). I'm sure a repeater will be required in the OP's application.
jondrew55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:33 AM   #6

I will second the recommendation for TST. They have pass through sensors or cap sensors. The cap sensors are light enough for use on rubber valve stems.
My MH is 8’ shorter than yours and I never installed the repeater that came with the kit only because I never had an issue receiving any of my 10 sensors signals.
I have pass thru sensors on the MH and cap sensors on the Toad.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for great replies. Gives me some things to look at
Old 06-30-2021, 11:31 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
TST. They can support way more than 10 tires if you need it. Easy to set up, and use.
Old 07-01-2021, 04:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by raeburn2000 View Post
We’ve had a EEZ RV Product TPMS (available through their website or Amazon) for the last three years and haven’t had any problems. They make a flow through and a non-flow thru sensor. I had to change the batteries after 20,000 miles. They also have excellent customer service.

For your length, I would purchase a repeater if you want reliable readings on the trailer or toad. There are both 12V and 120V models for you to choose from. Prior to the repeater, our toad tires would only register about 50% of the time.
EEZ RV system has worked for us. I just installed sensors on the Malibu and I didn't need a repeater, but our rig is only 34'. If you go with EEZ system, program the sensors by the method of putting the sensor on the tire and then programming as it is a lot easier.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tpms