Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Internals are better because they are protected from damage due to accident or vandalism. They also don’t need regular battery replacement. I would have them if I had them available when tires were replaced.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDaveB View Post
The externally-mounted don’t accurately report tire temps. They are always within a few degrees of ambient temperature

Dave
I have the TST system and a couple weeks ago I had a rising tire temp on the left rear. I pulled over when possible and found the brake caliper was seizing causing the brakes to heat up. The tire monitor is what alerted me to this problem so I will have to disagree with your statement.
Tom
MoCoTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:56 PM   #17

About everything OEM these days has TPMS as part of their mandated vehicle stability systems. I've noted that though there are different implementations, ALL of them are internal. Leading me to look at the external versions as something of a kludge.
Those OEM style sensors tend to have the battery last 6-7 years easily. I've seen some go ten years. I'm kind of drawn toward things that require no attention at all for that kind of length of time.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Internals are better because they are protected from damage due to accident or vandalism. They also don’t need regular battery replacement. I would have them if I had them available when tires were replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
About everything OEM these days has TPMS as part of their mandated vehicle stability systems. I've noted that though there are different implementations, ALL of them are internal. Leading me to look at the external versions as something of a kludge.
Those OEM style sensors tend to have the battery last 6-7 years easily. I've seen some go ten years. I'm kind of drawn toward things that require no attention at all for that kind of length of time.
Just when I thought I’d made up my mind.....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have been using TST sensors for over 12 years and not had a problem with them. My batteries last two years and are easy to replace. If you opt for internal sensors the cost to remove the tire and install the sensors can wind up costing almost as much as the TPMS did.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #20

Well but IF your sensor batteries have about the same lifespan as your tires....
But that's a big if. I wouldn't be inclined at all to believe what the manufacturers say about them. But I would believe input from fellow forum members if one were to post up a poll like "How long did YOUR TPMS batteries last?" Hint, hint.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
TST TPMS on the valve stems for over 8 years and easy battery replacement. The inside mounted units will provide better theft protection and more accurate temperature reading.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
I have the TST system and a couple weeks ago I had a rising tire temp on the left rear. I pulled over when possible and found the brake caliper was seizing causing the brakes to heat up. The tire monitor is what alerted me to this problem so I will have to disagree with your statement.
Tom
Tom: I am close to ordering a set of the external sensors. Do they read near ambient temp or are the closer to tire air temp? My fifth wheel had internals, and ran around 130-degrees on the highway during hot days as a point of reference. They alerted me to a brake problem as well at one point.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
I use the external type and I find that they measure the inside temperature reasonably well. I originally bought this type to go on my Class A but when I moved to a truck and travel trailer, I just brought them along and reconfigured. A big plus in my book. Internal sensors are a set them and forget them kind of thing and I will admit that the external type seem to go through batteries far more often than I think they should It always seems like there is one. And as mentioned they do often have this ridiculously tiny O ring that can easily break when you unscrew to change the battery. I always keep a few on spare in case I need to replace one. However, I wasn't going to dismount and mount all my tires in order to have an internal monitor. Nor do I think I will likely keep my rig that long (maybe 5 years). I don't want to re-up for a new set every time I change. Hence the preference for the external type.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Supposed to last as long as the tire but if I’m going 7 years that could be pushing it.
TST sells both types; the inside model is quite expensive IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:23 PM   #25

Reminds me of Robert Frost Poem …. Fire and Ice

I got new tires and put in internal TST sensors
Had 6 months and numerous trips … so far so good
Used stem cap TST sensors on Toad. Had one rubber stem spread/fail
Taking cap off to air tires is a pain and each time is an opportunity for failure

Internal are more expensive. If batteries fail then it will cost me
But less hassle than stem cap sensors.

Either way will work. If u can afford internal I think their less hassle
But if I had unlimited funds I’d buy a Prevost with all the bells & whistles …
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Tom: I am close to ordering a set of the external sensors. Do they read near ambient temp or are the closer to tire air temp? My fifth wheel had internals, and ran around 130-degrees on the highway during hot days as a point of reference. They alerted me to a brake problem as well at one point.
tomato
The TST monitors are quite accurate at reporting tire pressure. I'm not going to argue they report exact tire temp because I'm sure they don't. What they will do is alert you to a given tire that is out of parameters with the others. For example when my brake was dragging I saw the tire temp was 15 degrees above the others so you know there is a problem.
Tom
PS-Semper fi
MoCoTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
While considering this question and researching tires I found that Continental has their own built in TPMS for many of their comercial tires.

Anyone know anything about that? Sounds great in their website, but in practice....?

https://www.continental-tires.com/tr...tinental-itire

https://www.continental-specialty.co...ipressurecheck
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:05 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
I have had my coach now for 12 years and I have replaced the batteries on my TST external sensors every couple of years, I run the external Non-Flow-Threw type on the coach and the 2019 Jeep with no issues. The Idea that the internal batteries will last 7-10 years is what worries me on the Jeep, I tend to keep my vehicles 15-20 years and just don't relish having to buy new sensors for the Jeep. Changing batteries on the external sensors is a no brainer and the O-Rings are easily replaced and if installed using Silicon Grease last a long time. As for theft, I removed the theft deterrence covers on the coach and left them on the Jeep when we travel as that is in locations where kids could get curious and want to check them out. A good pair of pliers will remove the sensor even with the caps on so I figure they are just a deterrent to walking away on their own.

Tags
ems, tpms, valve